Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Charlotte: rental, safe area, security alarm, drug crime, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 AM
gio

7 posts, read 15,561 times

Advertisements

Hi AmeriDutch,
Sounds like you are really scared!! But do not fear, I am currently residing in LA and have only been here for almost two years and am dieing to move back to Charlotte, NC. I lived there for 14 years(mostly in South Charlotte) and never had any problems. Charlotte is utopia when you compare the statistics to LA and I live one block from Beverly Hills. You made a great decision for you and your family, Best of luck to you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 38,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettsie in NJ View Post
You sound just like me! Although we are not moving to Charlotte yet we are on our way down there next week to check out neighborhoods and areas we can afford and that we like. I have been researching the area for over a year now and I didn't realize the amount of crime in Charlotte... boy the Chamber of Commerce paints a very pretty picture! But you (and I) have to realize that Charlotte is the 21st largest city in the US and so there will be crime. I am from NY and there is crime and we live in NJ and there is crime here too.
Where are you moving to? We are actually going to look north of the city towards Huntersville, Mooresville, etc. and then south towards Lake Wylie.
Good luck on your move!
We will be living in southeast charlotte. I really like what I've read about the Huntersville area and wanted to look there, but my husband will be working in SE Charlotte, about 7 min. from where will be living so a very nice commute for him. Thanks for the post and good luck with your search. =)

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,650,825 times
As a single old woman, I was in town over Memorial Day weekend, driving around without feeling unsafe. I was on Independence Blvd (which I have heard some mention as not good) at night and did not see anyone dangerous looking. Keep in mind that I lived most of my adult life in New Orleans where there were areas I wouldn't go at high noon with a cop! I think most of Charlotte is pretty safe. I arrived at 11 pm and left for the airport at 5:30 AM. No problems.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,834,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I will also say that I think there are a few on here who are a bit...um...over paranoid.
Hey I take the landmines out of the lawn when it needs cutting.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,442,842 times
Moved here nearly one year ago (last June)...haven't seen any crime nor experienced any. I've driven through two of the "bad" areas on each side of the city for my commute into work at all times of the day...never saw anything. It certainly doesn't mean it's not here, but it is by no means rampant as the news and some folks would like to have you believe.

I highly recommend renting somewhere before buying so you can learn the area for yourself. I tried very hard to learn as much as possible before moving here from Orlando...used this forum, other folks who had lived here before, and new co-workers. None of those sources came close to my own knowledge that I very easily gained by living here for a few months.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,192,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Hey I take the landmines out of the lawn when it needs cutting.
But do you remove the razor-edged barbed wire?

I believe in being attentive to my surroundings no matter where I am. I don't think it is paranoid to pay attention . . . and do what you can to thwart a criminal. I think a lot of us agree that is the prudent thing to do . . . I travel and I pay attention the same as I do at home. I am one of the people who does NOT get pick pocketed on the streets of Rome, Hee Hee.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,847 times
My family moved to Denver NC three years ago from Massachusetts. We left behind family,friends, and familiarity behind. It was scary. There is crime everywhere. No more so here than anywhere else. The area between Denver and Lincolnton is beautiful. Lake Norman provides the quality of life that we were looking for. It is a lifestyle. The schools are great and there are so many people from different areas in search of the same things that you make friends easily. Fear not, you are making a wise move.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,767,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNoman View Post
My family moved to Denver NC three years ago from Massachusetts. We left behind family,friends, and familiarity behind. It was scary. There is crime everywhere. No more so here than anywhere else. The area between Denver and Lincolnton is beautiful. Lake Norman provides the quality of life that we were looking for. It is a lifestyle. The schools are great and there are so many people from different areas in search of the same things that you make friends easily. Fear not, you are making a wise move.
Thanks LAKENORMAN. We are moving to the area between Denver and Lincolnton. It is nice to hear something nice about our choice. Not too many people on this forum are from that area so it's hard to get a real idea about what it is like. It's hard not to second guess yourself when you are not familiar with an area.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 28,915 times
Default Top 25 Cities/Metros for Crime

Below is some info that should calm those considering moving to Charlotte. Although Charlotte doesn't rank on the safest (NO MAJOR CITY OR METRO DOES), it's also not even ranked on the danger list.

Read about any major metro on any forum and you'll find people complaigning about the crime. Relax, live, love, enjoy. Life is too short to worry about this. Just use common sense. Stay out of the crappy areas and you'll be fine and happy.

(NOTE: We live in Sarasota, FL. A quintesential retirement community. Virtually no crime . . . unless your dumb enough to venture north of the city into the poor/crime infested/drug dealing/crap area's)

Here is a list of the Top 25 Safest and Most Dangerous CITIES in the USA:[/SIZE]
SAFEST 25:
1 Newton, MA
2 Brick Twnshp, NJ
3 Amherst, NY
4 Mission Viejo, CA
5 Clarkstown, NY
6 Lake Forest, CA
7 Thousand Oaks, CA
8 Colonie, NY
9 Cary, NC
10 Dover Twnshp, NJ
11 Irvine, CA
12 Troy, MI
13 Greece, NY
14 Parma, OH
15 Hamilton Twnshp, NJ
16 Danbury, CT
17 Simi Valley, CA
18 Sunnyvale, CA
19 Sterling Heights, MI
20 Livonia, MI
21 Lee's Summit, MO
22 Farmington Hills, MI
23 Orem, UT
24 Fargo, ND
25 Stamford, CT

MOST DANGEROUS 25:
1 Camden, NJ
2 Detroit, MI
3 Atlanta, GA
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Gary, IN
6 Washington, DC
7 Hartford, CT
8 New Orleans, LA
9 Richmond, VA
10 Birmingham, AL
11 Baltimore, MD
12 Richmond, CA
13 Memphis, TN
14 Jackson, MS
15 Tampa, FL
16 San Bernardino, CA
17 Compton, CA
18 Springfield, MA
19 Miami, FL
20 Cleveland, OH
21 Dayton, OH
22 North Charleston, SC
23 Little Rock, AR
24 Oakland, CA
25 Cincinnati, OH

. . and here is a list of the Top 25 METROS in the USA:
Safest 25:
1 Appleton, WI
2 Fond du Lac, WI
3 Bismarck, ND
4 State College, PA
5 Oshkosh-Neenah, WI
6 Bangor, ME
7 Harrisonburg, VA
8 Binghamton, NY
9 Wausau, WI
10 La Crosse, WI-MN
11 Columbus, IN
12 Edison, NJ M.D.
13 Sheboygan, WI
14 Nassau-Suffolk, NY M.D
15 Glens Falls, NY
16 Rockingham County, NH M.D.
17 Portland, ME
18 Fargo, ND-MN
19 Provo-Orem, UT
20 Grand Forks, ND-MN
21 Williamsport, PA
22 Poughkeepsie, NY
23 Cambridge-Newton, MA M.D.[/
24 Lewiston, ID-WA
25 Bloomington, IN

Most Dangerous 25:
1 Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI M.D.[/
2 Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3 Sumter, SC
4 Fairbanks, AK
5 New Orleans, LA
6 Miami-Dade County, FL M.D
7 Myrtle Beach, SC
8 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
9 Victoria, TX
10 Florence, SC
11 Stockton, CA
12 Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
13 Pine Bluff, AR
14 Lafayette, LA
15 Jackson, MS
16 Saginaw, MI
17 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
18 Tucson, AZ
19 Los Angeles County, CA M.D
20 Baltimore-Towson, MD
21 Albuquerque, NM
22 Vineland, NJ
23 Montgomery, AL
24 Little Rock, AR
25 Charleston-North Charleston, SC

Last edited by shamooga; 06-06-2008 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 8,999 times
Default Besides crime, Charlotte is beautiful..

Crime is everywhere, especially with the economy the way it is now. So whether you're in Kentucky or Charlotte, it happens. You just have to be mindful of it. Once you find your community, find out if they have a crime watch program or something to get involved in. Know whats going on around the neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. It helps if everyone watches out for each other. Being a Matthews resident, if you are still planning to move to Mission Matthews, its not the greatest location for SE charlotte. You might want to head down and over a bit more towards the center of Matthews. There is a great gated apartment complex next door to Providence high school called providence court. I used to live there and it was great. It's just west of Matthews. If you need help or more questions answered feel free to Direct Message me, I'd love to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte