Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Charlotte: rental, safe area, security alarm, drug crime, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 PM

15 posts, read 38,537 times

Advertisements

My family and I have finalized our move and will be heading to Charlotte June 14th. I am so gratefull for this forum and it's members for all the information we recevied, it was really helpful. However, I think I have received an information overload due to my non-stop reading on the crime in Charlotte and now I am scared out of my mind. As each day gets closer to our move I keep thinking more and more of all the various crime scenarios I've read about and worry will we be victims and will I be able to protect my family, I think about the house we are renting and wonder if the neighborhood is safe enough and is the security alarm enough, should I get a dog, will burglars know my husband is away on business and invade our home, will we be safe walking in the neighborhood with my girls, will we be victims of cross fire on the highway...am I being over paranoid, probably, so now I am trying to think of all the positives. As you have probably already noticed it's been a while since I've lived near a major city and when I did I was very young and did not have a family to think about, so I never thought about things like that.
So, for those of you that have recently moved to Charlotte and love it I would really appreciate hearing your responses and how you have adjusted to living in the suburbs and maybe how you overcame your fears of the crime.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM

49 posts, read 333,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriDutchFam View Post
My family and I have finalized our move and will be heading to Charlotte June 14th. I am so gratefull for this forum and it's members for all the information we recevied, it was really helpful. However, I think I have received an information overload due to my non-stop reading on the crime in Charlotte and now I am scared out of my mind. As each day gets closer to our move I keep thinking more and more of all the various crime scenarios I've read about and worry will we be victims and will I be able to protect my family, I think about the house we are renting and wonder if the neighborhood is safe enough and is the security alarm enough, should I get a dog, will burglars know my husband is away on business and invade our home, will we be safe walking in the neighborhood with my girls, will we be victims of cross fire on the highway...am I being over paranoid, probably, so now I am trying to think of all the positives. As you have probably already noticed it's been a while since I've lived near a major city and when I did I was very young and did not have a family to think about, so I never thought about things like that.
So, for those of you that have recently moved to Charlotte and love it I would really appreciate hearing your responses and how you have adjusted to living in the suburbs and maybe how you overcame your fears of the crime.
Thanks in advance.
You sound just like me! Although we are not moving to Charlotte yet we are on our way down there next week to check out neighborhoods and areas we can afford and that we like. I have been researching the area for over a year now and I didn't realize the amount of crime in Charlotte... boy the Chamber of Commerce paints a very pretty picture! But you (and I) have to realize that Charlotte is the 21st largest city in the US and so there will be crime. I am from NY and there is crime and we live in NJ and there is crime here too.
Where are you moving to? We are actually going to look north of the city towards Huntersville, Mooresville, etc. and then south towards Lake Wylie.
Good luck on your move!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Hi! What area did you end up finding a rental home in?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Another one here with the same fears. The people on this board have been very helpful and honest. We will be moving down in July from NJ. From what others have posted I think this is a normal fear and since I really don't have any other choice for now, I will make the best of it and I am sure in time I will feel more comfortable with our decision and make a happy home for my family. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Another one here with the same fears. The people on this board have been very helpful and honest. We will be moving down in July from NJ. From what others have posted I think this is a normal fear and since I really don't have any other choice for now, I will make the best of it and I am sure in time I will feel more comfortable with our decision and make a happy home for my family. Good luck.
What areas are all you guys moving to?
I will be there next week to check out different neighborhoods. Is everyone there relocating from NJ????? ;-)

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettsie in NJ View Post
What areas are all you guys moving to?
I will be there next week to check out different neighborhoods. Is everyone there relocating from NJ????? ;-)
We are moving to Lincoln County between Denver and Lincolnton. We prefer a little more rural area with larger lots and the taxes are cheaper and the schools are suppose to be very good.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
This forum some of threads might be enough to be concern about the area but I would not fear Charlotte as a result of it just use those threads as a tool in helping you be more vigilant of moving to a metropolitan area.

I would say less than 1 percent of Charlotte has visited this forum so you are only getting a small percentage view.

Charlotte is rather large so if I crime is committed in south Charlotte it may not have any effect with those who live on the north side.
If you drive from the north side to the south side it may take you up to fourty five minutes to get there on a light traffic day and about the same heading east to west.
That is alot of area that includes good areas and bad areas.

One of the great things about this forum is we can help guide you into a good area.
Share with us where you are thinking of moving in this area and we will give an opnion. (never buy cheapest it generally equals rough area)
One of great things about this forum is honest discussion if someone is leading you in a bad direction members here will call them out on it.

When I first move to this city from a small town in the 90's I lived by the airport and I got stories to tell of that adventure but if I was to judge the city base on that area it would not do justice to rest of good areas in this city.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I am so sorry to hear about the anxiety. Moving to a new area is hard enuff w/o worrying about things like crime.

I am a native. I have lived in other places, tho. I moved back here about six years ago. I am in S. CLT. I have never been a victim of crime here nor has anyone in my neighborhood (to my knowledge). I do know that one house in our development - close to the entrance and the main highway - has been robbed - but that is the only one I know of since we have been here. I am certain none of the houses near mine have been burglarized. If you check the crime report for my neighborhood, we have more calls for animal control than anything else. Truly.

Now, I am a cautious person. I do have an alarm and a very alert doggie. I also pay attention to where I am and who is around me, whether at home or out shopping. Crime definitely is happening in this city, but it has not happened to me. I surely hope it won't, but I also know crime can happen anywhere, to anyone. I am just prudent and pay attention, i.e. lock my doors, notice if anyone is following me, etc. But I have always been this way. Being a female and having to travel to other cities for business reasons for over 20 years, I have the same safety habits here at home as I have when traveling.

Please don't be distressed by the thoughts of possible crime. As long as you are noticing what is going on around you and use reasonable safety measures, you will be fine. Most crime is that of "opportunity."

I suspect you will get more frustrated w/ your cable service or w/ traffic than w/ thoughts of crime once you get here. Really!!!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 06-04-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so sorry to hear about the anxiety. Moving to a new area is hard enuff w/o worrying about things like crime.

I am a native. I have lived in other places, tho. I moved back here about six years ago. I am in S. CLT. I have never been a victim of crime here nor has anyone in my neighborhood (to my knowledge). I do know that one house in our development - close to the entrance and the main highway - has been robbed - but that is the only one I know of since we have been here. I am certain none of the houses near mine have been burglarized. If you check the crime report for my neighborhood, we have more calls for animal control than anything else. Truly.

Now, I am a cautious person. I do have an alarm and a very alert doggie. I also pay attention to where I am and who is around me, whether at home or out shopping. Crime definitely is happening in this city, but it has not happened to me. I surely hope it won't, but I also know crime can happen anywhere, to anyone. I am just prudent and pay attention, i.e. lock my doors, notice if anyone is following me, etc. But I have always been this way. Being a female and having to travel to other cities for business reasons for over 20 years, I have the same safety habits here at home as I have when traveling.

Please don't be distressed by the thoughts of possible crime. As long as you are noticing what is going on around you and use reasonable safety measures, you will be fine. Most crime is that of "opportunity."

I suspect you will get more frustrated w/ your cable service or w/ traffic than w/ thoughts of crime once you get here. Really!!!!!!
Thank you for the info, good to know from a local!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Also moving down on the 15th - the crime thing has not been a big concern at all (then again, I'm moving from Baltimore - you've all seen the Wire - lol).

Any major city will have its fair share of crime. If anything, this board may magnify some of the crime issues if only because one post can be very vocal here.

I will also say that I think there are a few on here who are a bit...um...over paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte