Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder that the first weekend of the month is coming up -- which means if you have a Bank of America credit, debit, or ATM card, you can get into a few museums for free. Apparently, they've had this program for a while now and recently expanded it to include Charlotte.
Quote:
The program enables anyone with a BofA credit, ATM or check card to visit 70 museums in 28 markets during the first Saturday and Sunday of each month.
Previously, cardholders could use the program only in May.
This year, local residents and visitors to Charlotte can avail themselves of the program for the first time. Participating institutions in Charlotte are the Levine Museum of the New South, the Mint Museum of Art and the Mint Museum of Craft and Design.
I haven't yet had a chance to get to the Mint Museum of Art, but I'm looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM

117 posts, read 597,301 times
The Mint Museum of Craft + Design (uptown) has free jazz on the 3rd Thursday of each month. The next one is June 19th.

We've been a couple of times - they have some great musicians come in! They even have some light refreshments and you get to tour the museum for free as well.

Check out their schedule. (http://www.mintmuseum.org/program-and-events.html - broken link)

Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 AM

^Along the same line... on Tuesdays admission is free to the MMA from 5pm-10pm and to the MMCD from 10am-2pm.

I went to the Thursday night jazz thing at the museum of craft and design once and it was pretty cool. The music was pretty much just a guy with a guitar singing songs that I would classify more as folk than jazz, but it added a lot to the experience -- and he was quite good. And the museum itself is quite interesting.

And I took a pic on my phone -- it blows, but I'll post it anyway:

Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Just a reminder that the first weekend of the month is coming up -- which means if you have a Bank of America credit, debit, or ATM card, you can get into a few museums for free. Apparently, they've had this program for a while now and recently expanded it to include Charlotte.
I haven't yet had a chance to get to the Mint Museum of Art, but I'm looking forward to it.
Mint Museum of Art is free EVERY Tuesday from 5-10pm.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Great info - appreciate the "heads up" from everyone.

And Timm - the picture gives us a view and an idea of the event - so thanks for posting it. I really appreciate it when people post pictures.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Mint Museum of Art is free EVERY Tuesday from 5-10pm.
Um, yes. It is. Which I posted in the post immediately above yours.
But thanks!

I realize there are other ways of getting in to museums for free, but I do think this is an interesting program. I like the idea of free on the weekend because I'm more likely not to be working. And I do indeed have the required cards, so I'm in! Yay! One of these days I'll even go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821
And Timm - the picture gives us a view and an idea of the event - so thanks for posting it. I really appreciate it when people post pictures.
! I figure, why not? I'm always taking pics, so I may as well do something with 'em!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 AM

716 posts, read 2,157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I went to the Thursday night jazz thing at the museum of craft and design once and it was pretty cool.

And I took a pic on my phone -- it blows, but I'll post it anyway:
I would say it was around Christmas.
Otherwise someone in the picture just has a flair for wearing conical, red hats!

This is good information. I've always meant to go to the Levine Museum, and "free" is a good a reason as any! Thanks!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
I have to put in a plug for the Levine Museum of the New South - this is a MUST for any newcomer who wants to understand the city and region they have just moved to. It is very well done, in timeline fashion, and you will be amazed at everything you will learn about the history of the south and Charlotte. Everyone should go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: