U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM

928 posts, read 3,531,066 times

Advertisements

I have very severe allergies. Around March things start turning yellow and the pollen has attacked. I havce read all the tips and stuff, but I still drive with the windows open when it's nice out.

I am considering allergy shots because my TERRIBLE health insurance dropped coverage for all allergies medicines once Zyrtec went over the counter. So, I hope some day to get better insurance again.

I do check the weather channel's website to get their pollen forecast just so I have an idea. My allergy is Ragweed, and I suffer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 05:19 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,446,136 times
I don't know....hubby suffered terribly in CA with allergies--stress didn't help or the air quality. Move to NC and so far he only has problems with my cats. I keep them out of the rooms he frequents and keep the house dusted and vacumed. When he has to go out on his once a week mowing for the lawn there are times he has a bit of a problem but nothing like in CA. I'm thinking a lot of his allergies came from stress and bad air quality both of which CA has more then it's share! For me I haven't had any problems with allergies here!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
There was a study done a few years ago that said that the Piedmont region of NC has the worst potential for allergies than anywhere on the east coast (maybe the country, I am not sure). At any rate, that just reinforced the fact that practically everyone that I know (in particular, transplants) suffer from allergies.

Took the shots for years (until the insurance co. stopped paying for them), had sinus surgery, ripped up all of the carpet, installed a special whole-house HEPA air filter on my furnace/AC and, I can now say (with caution) that my allergies are pretty much under control. Am now on Singular, which helps more than Zyrtec did and I live with 2 dogs, a cat and a bird...all of which I am allergic to, along with practically every other living thing on the face of the earth.

The choice will be up to you guys. There are ways to control/live with this disease, but, it truly can be miserable until you get it under control.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,125,401 times
Now the Ragweed season has begun. Happy Autumn!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM

928 posts, read 3,531,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Now the Ragweed season has begun. Happy Autumn!
And it's like 100 degree August then Ragweed ontop of that.

I so need some strong med's only if the stupid insurance covered them...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,971 times
What do people mean when they say severe allergies? ARe they life threatening, or do you get a runny nose and itchy eyes. I really am interested as 90% of the people I know have allergies of some description and take medication for it. I don't think I am allergic to anything but sometimes I do get itchy eyes but I just scratch them and get on with things. Am I a martyr or is Charlotte just full of people who have severe allergies?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

371 posts, read 986,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
What do people mean when they say severe allergies? ARe they life threatening, or do you get a runny nose and itchy eyes. I really am interested as 90% of the people I know have allergies of some description and take medication for it. I don't think I am allergic to anything but sometimes I do get itchy eyes but I just scratch them and get on with things. Am I a martyr or is Charlotte just full of people who have severe allergies?
I was one of those "born and bred" Tar Heels who would get the occasional runny nose and itchy eyes that Tylenol Allergy would take care of.....until this summer. Every month or so like clock work, my allergies would be so bad that it would keep me out of work. I'd go through a big box of kleenex a day. After a arm pulling trip to the allergist, I found out all of it was being caused by allergies. A couple of prescriptions later and I'm good to go.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
"Severe allergies", at least to me, means, constantly being stuffy, my eyes constantly itch and I have various other, more severe reactions to certain things that range from severe stomach issues to horrible headaches....and lots more inbetween. Certain things also make my tongue and mouth swell and I am extremely sensitive to extremes; especially cold. I have a predispostion to sinus infections since my sinuses are constantly inflamed and something simple like being in a house that has a fragrant candle burning will cause me a horrible, blinding headache. Many other people have much more severe symptoms like the possibility of death. But, for the op's question, I think that we were discussing mostly the sinus variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte