Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times

Advertisements

Southend is good. Also, look around Park Road, Dilworth, and even Huntersville. All accessable to busses into town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
There are some relatively new apartments in the Ayrsley development, which is not too far from 77 and Billy Graham. Those may be worth looking into as that development has a nice little entertainment district as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
I checked out Ayrsley during the day. It looked nice. Went by at night and "no way Jose'" Not a place for a young woman to be walking around at night.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,489 times
I am 24 - so pretty close in age to your daughter, lived here since I was right out of school and I would suggest the Uptown area as well. SouthPark is good- very clean, upper class surroundings. Dilworth, SouthEnd, and Myers Park are also good. The thing about uptown in that is is close to getting on the highway - and she will only be about 6 miles from work. Good luck to her !!!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I checked out Ayrsley during the day. It looked nice. Went by at night and "no way Jose'" Not a place for a young woman to be walking around at night.
Seriously? Our house won't be done there for about another 6-8 weeks, but on trips down when we were still looking, and after we signed the papers, we've spent several late evenings in Ayrsley and did not feel that way at all. We rather enjoyed ourselves being out and about.

I'd be curious to know the basis for your statement above - what makes the place so unappealing at night? (I mean, it was obvious to us on our first evening out there why a few people would say such a thing, but I'm hoping you have more legitimate reasons)

Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
There are several apt complexes off Tyvola near the driving range that seem very safe to me. They have gated access. The apts seem large. I believe they are on Wachovia's list of Apts. This area would put her very close to work. It takes about 10 min to get to uptown from this area and that would put her near the "nighlife".

UPDATED: Springs of Tyvola is one that I am familiar with.

As an aside, the poster said she did not want to drive 20-30 mins to work each way. Areas like Huntersville, Ft Mill, etc... would have her driving at least 20-30 min most likely on 77 which can be pretty bad during commute hours. People are making a LOT of blanket statements about a HUGE area.... if I were moving to Charlotte, I'd be scared out of my mind based on some of the feedback I see here. Or I would think that the South Park area is the only 'safe' place to live. ;-)

Last edited by baybook; 06-11-2008 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I'd be curious to know the basis for your statement above - what makes the place so unappealing at night? (I mean, it was obvious to us on our first evening out there why a few people would say such a thing, but I'm hoping you have more legitimate reasons)

I've been in that area at night also and I am wondering the same thing??? I've gone to the movies and dinner several times. Unfortunately, some people probably are saying it is unappealing based on less than legitimate reasons.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I've been in that area at night also and I am wondering the same thing??? I've gone to the movies and dinner several times. Unfortunately, some people probably are saying it is unappealing based on less than legitimate reasons.
Still waiting Vindaloo...care to elaborate?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 AM

280 posts, read 948,431 times
Those of you saying that she should look at south park, dilworth, south end, uptown are clearly not paying attention to the budget constraints.... A one bedroom in these areas is going to be higher than that budget in most instances. Having a roommate in a 2br condo or apartment in ANY of these areas would lower the cost to within the budget constraint. I am very well versed in the Charlotte rental market these days, but I could be missing something. Somebody out there correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and I am talking about the rent for a NEW tenant, not the rent that someone has been getting for years.

Also, being a young person in the Charlotte area, I can promise you she does not want to live in Fort Mill or Gastonia or any of those suburbs if she wants to be "near entertainment". I grew up in Fort Mill and trying to go out to the entertainment areas and get home safely is always a pain. Stick to something close to Uptown Charlotte and/or near the rail line.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,508 times
Northeast Charlotte is nice, it is up and coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte