U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 PM

10 posts, read 18,973 times

Advertisements

Good evening all:

I need some help and advice. So, I visited Charlotte this week and had a few interviews lined up. I love the City. I ended up getting an offer and the company would like me to start in 2 -3 weeks. I am super excited. I know that this would come to past for me but wow it is here. I have been wanting to move to Charlotte for a while and have heeded the warnings "DON'T MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB". So... I've got one.

So here is the thing. I have to move pretty quickly unfortunately relocation costs are not being covered so moving funding will fall on me. Thus the reason for this post.

- I am moving from NY to Charlotte.
- I need to move at the cheapest most economical way possible working with a really, really tight budget.
- I have priced Uhaul and Penske and Budget for a move date of 6/26 ish and they are quoting about 1300 - 1600 to move with me trailing my car since I will have to do this move by myself.
- I've also logged requested quote for Unload help at the Uhaul site and that came out to about $300.

I know that along the way someone has been in the situation that I am faced with and has and made it happen as I have. I am just overwhelmed right now and need help. Any advise would be appreciated.

What method would you use to move that is the cheapest? If someone did arrive via Uhaul who did your unload for you? Does anyone have referrals for Unload help.

P.S. I am o.k. with housing for a few weeks I am staying with relative.So I am cool in that respect.

Any help, advise would be greatly appreciated.

hbv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,140,310 times
Check out upack, there a division of ABF. When we moved here from Fl last January we priced them all, and they were lowest by a sizable margain.

Congrats on the job and good luck

Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 AM

247 posts, read 761,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessyb View Post
Good evening all:

I need some help and advice. So, I visited Charlotte this week and had a few interviews lined up. I love the City. I ended up getting an offer and the company would like me to start in 2 -3 weeks. I am super excited. I know that this would come to past for me but wow it is here. I have been wanting to move to Charlotte for a while and have heeded the warnings "DON'T MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB". So... I've got one.

So here is the thing. I have to move pretty quickly unfortunately relocation costs are not being covered so moving funding will fall on me. Thus the reason for this post.

- I am moving from NY to Charlotte.
- I need to move at the cheapest most economical way possible working with a really, really tight budget.
- I have priced Uhaul and Penske and Budget for a move date of 6/26 ish and they are quoting about 1300 - 1600 to move with me trailing my car since I will have to do this move by myself.
- I've also logged requested quote for Unload help at the Uhaul site and that came out to about $300.

I know that along the way someone has been in the situation that I am faced with and has and made it happen as I have. I am just overwhelmed right now and need help. Any advise would be appreciated.

What method would you use to move that is the cheapest? If someone did arrive via Uhaul who did your unload for you? Does anyone have referrals for Unload help.

P.S. I am o.k. with housing for a few weeks I am staying with relative.So I am cool in that respect.

Any help, advise would be greatly appreciated.

hbv

I moved here from NY (a 3 bedroom house for 1500.00). I used Upack. They deliver a trailer to your driveway, you pack it and they charge by how much space you use.They then pick it up and deliver it to charlotte. When you are ready they will deliver the trailer to your house for you to unload. They also have storage if you need it. I checked several companies and this was the best. You can also check ou PODS.. By moving this way I only had to drive my car which was a lot easier than driving a truck and pulling a trailer and it was cheaper . Hope this helps. You can always get local help to unload, there are many day loborers who would be available.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 18,973 times
Thank you very muck for your input. I will checkout uPACK.

HBV

Old 06-08-2008, 01:14 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,729,613 times
I would consider going just a little bit more expensive than UHaul, if you end up going the moving truck method. I've heard far too many nightmare stories about UHaul trucks breaking down, crappy customer support, and other issues that made the move hell for some. I used Penske and couldn't have been happier. They're a little more expensive, but their trucks are all brand new and customer support is great. I know that's not the best advice you could get right now (seeing as you're on a tight budget), but it needs to be said!

On a related note, have you asked the company for relocation assistance? I did (thinking they would laugh at me) and got $3,000 to help move! It's worth an ask! They're not going to renege the offer because of it.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:45 PM

77 posts, read 423,326 times
My daughter used ABF three years ago. She moved the contents of a small apartment. It cost her $600.
If you use ABF do rent the ramp to load the truck. The truck is high off the ground. Three years ago it was $75. Prices may be higher now.

Do consider PODS. They are like upack. They deliver a storage unit that you pack and they transport to your new home. Their units are on ground level and my guess easier to pack.

Good Luck and enjoy your new home!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM

255 posts, read 572,299 times
Congratulations on your new job and your move to Charlotte. What field are you in?

Best of Luck to you in your new venture. Hope to be there within the next few months as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM

100 posts, read 316,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post
Do consider PODS. They are like upack. They deliver a storage unit that you pack and they transport to your new home. Their units are on ground level and my guess easier to pack.

Good Luck and enjoy your new home!
When we moved to Nashville we used a company called smart move. www.asmartmove.com I was impressed with them. They use UPS to deliver and pick up the pods and give you up to 30 days free storage in the UPS warehouse. You can also have them arrange loading and unloading help.

Just as an fyi--the girl I talked to the supervises the labor said that smart move and pack rats are her favorites for the job they do.

Good luck on your move.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

924 posts, read 1,855,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Check out upack, there a division of ABF. When we moved here from Fl last January we priced them all, and they were lowest by a sizable margain.

Congrats on the job and good luck
We did the same thing coming from FL and they were wonderful. Much cheaper, they give you three days to pack the truck and then when they deliver they give you three days to unpack.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 AM

8 posts, read 24,026 times
If I were in your situation and had a job lined up but have some one-time expenses I need to cover I would use credit and get a full service company so that I don't have to stress about it. Possibly a new card with an interest free introductory period. But I know that's not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or