U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 35,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
I have to agree with ireland on this one. I have spoken to many residents of my community, some who've been here for over 3 years and others that just recently built. The response is interesting. The homeowners of 'older' homes seem surprised by the quantity of problems many of us 'newer' owners have. This surprised me at first, until, I heard the same thing first hand from the subs themselves. Pay attention, Mr. McCrae...this may interest you. During numerous repairs to our home, subs have opened their mouths to share the same sentiment about the 'quality' of these newer homes vs. the older ones. ALH (those in Canton, GA know this sub) told me on several occassions that McCar is the ONLY builder they work for that require them to use flex-pipe for the gas lines and yet, time and again, they have so many problems with gas leaks from the flex-pipe. (I've had 4 leaks so far!) The gas company came out on one of our recent leaks and was horrified to see the flex-pipe. Said it's very dangerous. After discussing this with Josh Bailey with McCar, he gave me some big run around about why builders like it. Whatever. The point being is their own subs despise using it but actually told me the guy that 'sold' McCar on the flex-pipe deal was pretty smart. How's that for information? Nevermind the fact that two different subs from the same company admitted that the AC and furnaces are simply inadequate for these size homes. (I have not had any major problems with my heating/cooling, though.) Additionally, other subs told us that they are repeatedly called out for repairs on the newer homes because they were "thrown up so fast" that many simple things that SHOULD have been caught, were, ignored. What does a homeowner do with this information? Sit on it?!? I think not. It enrages us to think what did we get ourselves into? So, kudos to you if you were delivered a quality home by McCar. That is wonderful! If only the REST of us could say the same thing and be so sure. I'm not moving. We simply love it here. But, we were not delivered a quality home. We have made it our mission (as I have said before and will continue to say until something changes within McCar), to inform the public, as well as our community neighbors about these problems. My street is not an isolated incident. But again, the building industry is not what it used to be. We've learned our lesson big time.
Not sure why you quoted my response...The thread starter asked for info on Berewick which I provided. I didn't know we were picking sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 PM

93 posts, read 365,239 times
Sorry Spinxdsp---didn't mean to insinuate that I was picking sides. I was just responding after you. I know it must hard to believe...but...my goal isn't to bash McCar or have them lose sales. I love my home. I love my neighborhood! This is the best family neighborhood we've ever lived in so far! Lots of activities and social groups. You couldn't drag me out of here. But........McCar needs to get their act together. If my threads, and others, cause McCar to stand up and take attention, good! I'm waiting to post postitive feedback on McCar. So far, I can not. But, the new round of employees I've been dealing with lately have been very kind and respectful to me. My experience this past year was just too much to leave unaddressed. I want to refer people to buy here! That only increases property values. But, what's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong. I'm standing up and making them take notice.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM

73 posts, read 222,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
I have to agree with ireland on this one. I have spoken to many residents of my community, some who've been here for over 3 years and others that just recently built. The response is interesting. The homeowners of 'older' homes seem surprised by the quantity of problems many of us 'newer' owners have. This surprised me at first, until, I heard the same thing first hand from the subs themselves. Pay attention, Mr. McCrae...this may interest you. During numerous repairs to our home, subs have opened their mouths to share the same sentiment about the 'quality' of these newer homes vs. the older ones. ALH (those in Canton, GA know this sub) told me on several occassions that McCar is the ONLY builder they work for that require them to use flex-pipe for the gas lines and yet, time and again, they have so many problems with gas leaks from the flex-pipe. (I've had 4 leaks so far!) The gas company came out on one of our recent leaks and was horrified to see the flex-pipe. Said it's very dangerous. After discussing this with Josh Bailey with McCar, he gave me some big run around about why builders like it. Whatever. The point being is their own subs despise using it but actually told me the guy that 'sold' McCar on the flex-pipe deal was pretty smart. How's that for information? Nevermind the fact that two different subs from the same company admitted that the AC and furnaces are simply inadequate for these size homes. (I have not had any major problems with my heating/cooling, though.) Additionally, other subs told us that they are repeatedly called out for repairs on the newer homes because they were "thrown up so fast" that many simple things that SHOULD have been caught, were, ignored. What does a homeowner do with this information? Sit on it?!? I think not. It enrages us to think what did we get ourselves into? So, kudos to you if you were delivered a quality home by McCar. That is wonderful! If only the REST of us could say the same thing and be so sure. I'm not moving. We simply love it here. But, we were not delivered a quality home. We have made it our mission (as I have said before and will continue to say until something changes within McCar), to inform the public, as well as our community neighbors about these problems. My street is not an isolated incident. But again, the building industry is not what it used to be. We've learned our lesson big time.

I would have to express the same experience. We bought from McCar and found many problems. A valve on the sprinkler system was left on when they finished our house and 44,000 gallons of water sprayed under our yard. They didn't fix half the stuff that we pointed out during the final walk through and the illustrious builder acted as if we were putting him out when we expected him to come back (the island in the kitchen wasn't attached/ the microwave was broken and it took a month to get fixed). In addition with the water thing, the builder had the nerve to scream at my wife after I had called to report it. When you walk on our floors, you can actually stub your toe on the subfloor because it is so uneven upstairs (still has not been fixed).

In addition, I'm not impressed with the neighbors. It is May 1st, and one of our neighbors hasn't mowed his lawn. It looks absolutly terrible, and disappointing too because it was a sodded lot to start with and he let it go completely. Some people in the community have a lot of pride in their property, but there are some close to where I live that just let it go.

I still have hopes for the neighborhood. They are starting to build across the street, and hopefully those neighbors will maintain their property and keep their 1983 rust buckets parked somewhere other than in front of my house (like the current neighbors do). I also think that when the park (God help us if it doesn't go in) goes in, and the retail, and hopefully the new school (God help us if the school isn't an improvement over the current schools in the area or if it doesn't get built), that this neighborhood will be a more enjoyable place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte