U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,012,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Plant more durable drought resistant grass than wasting water.
Where do you think water comes from that flls your well that only made for your yard?

The water table that fills that well comes from the water table that we all need to enjoy for your family selfish waste to just keep up with the
Joneses
Very true. We have a well and are very careful with the water. Some of our neighbors are not and I feel like they are using our water too. Even the big subdivisions and plazas post signs telling people they are using well water to irrigate common areas, not city water. I guess they have never heard of dry wells!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,439,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Right and those higher water bills help you conserve more if that is such a concern for you
Actually they don't & I don't plan on conserving this summer either.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:32 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,201,987 times
After watching the yard go to heck last year, I decided not to do anything to the yard this spring. Whatever is green is green. If we get rain over the summer, I may do lawn maintenance in the Fall for next year.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 PM

86,895 posts, read 102,341,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
What drives me crazy is that this country wastes so much non-potable water (that can be used for irrigation and such). Also, think of all the rainwater that is wasted after a thunderstorm....

There is PLENTY of water that comes from Mother Nature....we just don't collectively harvest it properly or efficiently....
I agree. I got into an argument with someone here on CD about Atlanta's drought problems. They "only" received 32" of rain last year! Here in Denver the average is 15", and we've had years recently where we received much less. In the really dry years, we have had watering restrictions, but hey! We're making it on 1/2 of a drought year in some other city? We have lots of reservoirs around here. You guys need to take a field trip out here! Bring a tent and go camping!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,645,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree. I got into an argument with someone here on CD about Atlanta's drought problems. They "only" received 32" of rain last year! Here in Denver the average is 15", and we've had years recently where we received much less. In the really dry years, we have had watering restrictions, but hey! We're making it on 1/2 of a drought year in some other city? We have lots of reservoirs around here. You guys need to take a field trip out here! Bring a tent and go camping!
I just think we can learn alot about how parts of the country make due with a llot less rainfal than we get.....

Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I just think we can learn alot about how parts of the country make due with a llot less rainfal than we get.....
That is what I meant. A field trip to Denver in the summer would be fun, no?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:57 PM

19,817 posts, read 55,809,162 times
This is my 3rd house where I made large flower beds in problem grass areas. There are literally hundreds of native flowers/shrubs in ANY location that are drought-tolerant, plus you save on mowing effort and have a more beautiful yard to enjoy. If a spot is too shady to support grass, plant shade-loving native plants. If a spot is too dry for grass, plant sun-loving native plants that are drought-tolerant.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM

416 posts, read 809,087 times
A lot of other parts of the country aren't green like Charlotte. Its easy to limit your water if your lawn is dirt and rock. I just spent a week out west (flew over Texas, Nevada, California) and everything is brown. We can easily conserve water if we just let everything die and plant drought resistant plants. However, you can't plant fescue and expect it to withstand Charlotte summer temps on the amount of water we got last year.

I'm doing what most are. My lawn is suffering and I'll see how the year goes. Didn't do any work last fall on it because of the water restriction. If the same happens this year, I'll continue to let the lawn suffer. Once we get back in a normal weather cycle, will reseed/fertilize/aerate in the fall and bring my lawn back.

Can't wait till the rains come back and we get out of this cycle. Going out west made me really appreciate the beautiful landscaping we have here in the South.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM

The idea behind xeriscaping is not to just let your yard go brown and plant cacti interspersed with rocks. In the grand scheme, you have an area of bluegrass, an area of something else that needs less water, a border of rock or mulch with some drought tolerant bushes, etc.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:45 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,645,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
A lot of other parts of the country aren't green like Charlotte. Its easy to limit your water if your lawn is dirt and rock. I just spent a week out west (flew over Texas, Nevada, California) and everything is brown. We can easily conserve water if we just let everything die and plant drought resistant plants. However, you can't plant fescue and expect it to withstand Charlotte summer temps on the amount of water we got last year.

I'm doing what most are. My lawn is suffering and I'll see how the year goes. Didn't do any work last fall on it because of the water restriction. If the same happens this year, I'll continue to let the lawn suffer. Once we get back in a normal weather cycle, will reseed/fertilize/aerate in the fall and bring my lawn back.

Can't wait till the rains come back and we get out of this cycle. Going out west made me really appreciate the beautiful landscaping we have here in the South.
Look, I like to have a green lawn like the next guy, but that wasn't my point...

Think about all the water that we waste, whether its runoff which we don't harvest, not the right amount of reseviours, or not using non-potable water. We here in the east could do a hell of alot better that what we're doing...

My point is we get enough of rain...we just don't use it wisely, that's all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte