U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM

49 posts, read 317,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I would like to apoligize to the group for my aggessive last post--but it reeked of racism and I needed to comment. As far as I am concerned MOD should deleted this, my response, and the lady that wants to live in English speaking cities only.
JOHN
I think you misunderstood me, I don't want to live in "English speaking cities only" I was speaking about all the people in NJ that speak Urdu, and if you don't know what that language is, it's Indian/Paki lingo... which is what CENTRAL NJ is filled with. It's to the point that no one here speaks our native langage of ENGLISH! Racism, I think not! It's called assimilating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 AM

327 posts, read 1,058,470 times
I originally moved to Charlotte in 1999 to take my first 'real' job out of graduate school. I stayed for 6 years and enjoyed my time, but the job market for my field seemed to be drying up and my wife and I moved back to NJ (my home state, wife raised in Chlt) to be closer to my family. It lasted 5 years. Much has changed, including the addition of our 6 month old twins, and we're happy to be back in Charlotte. Much has changed here over the last 5 years as well, but we still like it here. The pace of life in NJ was sometimes dizzying. My clients in NJ were often uninterested in having any sort of personal conversation, everything was strictly business, which often felt cold. The cashiers at the grocery stores in NJ would barley make eye contact with you, let alone ask how you were doing. Charlotte's not perfect. I have concerns about increased crime and the quality of school for our boys when the get to that age. But, we like the affordable housing, lower taxes and friendlier atmosphere here and elsewhere throughout NC.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
I would like to apoligize to the group for my aggessive last post--but it reeked of racism and I needed to comment. As far as I am concerned MOD should deleted this, my response, and the lady that wants to live in English speaking cities only.
JOHN
You asked a loaded question & should apologize to her.

I have nothing against immigrants, one of my grandfathers was one, while the rest of my ancestors go back in this country to the 1600s & 1700s, for the most part, except a few who were here to greet them. However, my grandfather & his family did what all of the immigrants did then. They learned English & assimilated.

Obviously, you speak English, so there was no personal attack on you. You did personally attack her. Other people have made the same blanket statement in other threads. A blanket statement is not a personal attack.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 AM

7 posts, read 12,453 times
I am still in south state NY (Hudson Valley area) but I am relocating to SW Charlotte come July after doing much research, visiting, finding a house, and transferring employment. You ask why? Because................

1) NY is more expensive than Charlotte in several ways (gas, cost of heating a home, property and school taxes, entertainment, etc.)

2)The weather. It's nice to see the first snow fall and it's beautiful many times; however, when you have to drive in it 45 minutes to work, it's not so much fun. I like the winters but they just last too long. I can't do the many outdoor activities I enjoy year round.

3) Closer to family. My father passed away recently so I would like to be closer to my mom. I would be able to visit her over a long weekend at least every 2 months without having to worry about the rise in the cost of flying.

4) More house for the money. I currently pay 1,700 in rent and was able to purchase a bigger home. My mortgage will be less than my rent.

5) Closer to work. I will only be 10 minutes from work instead of 45 minutes.

The big picture......The way the economy is going, I will be able to save money by being closer to work, entertainment ( I live over 2 hrs from the city), enjoy outdoor activities more often instead of spending on indoor entertainment, ability to drive to my mother's house.

I don't have children in school so quality of education is not a factor. I will be getting paid the same amount of money at work and spending less to enjoy life better without having to watch every penny.

Would it be a mistake? Don't but you can't learn without the risks you take.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,584 times
Default few reasons

-we always wanted to move for a new adventure
-warmer weather-we hate the cold! It is also very sunny here..those were good enough reasons for us!
-sick of the rat race in the NE..wanted a slower pace of life

We probably did better financially back in the NE but at the end of that day I don't care about that stuff. As long as I can still go shopping and eat when I want and live in a nice house that is fine for us

Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM

7,107 posts, read 9,707,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
-we always wanted to move for a new adventure
-warmer weather-we hate the cold! It is also very sunny here..those were good enough reasons for us!
-sick of the rat race in the NE..wanted a slower pace of life

We probably did better financially back in the NE but at the end of that day I don't care about that stuff. As long as I can still go shopping and eat when I want and live in a nice house that is fine for us
This is an interesting spin on the question as you have taken the "financial" out of the equation. Besides, how many meals a day can one eat? Especially without stress.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,584 times
Default oh well I meant

We made more money back home b/c I owned two businesses but I gave all that up (sold them) to live a more peaceful life here!!! I of course could still go back to work here but we like living in a smaller place and not having all the expenses "keeping up with the jones" atmosphere..actually back in the NE it wasn't even keeping up it was you had to make x in order to live, go on vaction, pay taxes, etc. My husband relocated with a company so he makes the same amount we just dropped one income so we could go more with the flow and I could rest and unwind until we have kids

Back In the NE it was rare to ahve a niehgborhodo filled with stay at home wives or moms unless you were extremely wealthy or willing to give up a lot here it is different. I live in a nice community most of the women or men someone in the family stays home..just a different pace down here!

As for eating I meant eating out...we eat out more here b/c the weather is so nice most of the year and there is always something going on outside...it really is a like a resort style atmosphere everyday!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,771,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettsie in NJ View Post
I think you misunderstood me, I don't want to live in "English speaking cities only" I was speaking about all the people in NJ that speak Urdu, and if you don't know what that language is, it's Indian/Paki lingo... which is what CENTRAL NJ is filled with. It's to the point that no one here speaks our native langage of ENGLISH! Racism, I think not! It's called assimilating.
Our native lanquage is not English; it's Sioux, Cherokee, etc. Now you know how they felt when your ancestors came over here.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:20 PM

206 posts, read 453,514 times
How about this -

Finding a place in the south where I could find a concentration of well educated neighbors, great schools that are comparable to the school we left in affluent Westchester county (not all of Charlotte's schools are bad) the ability to cash in the equity on a house in the NE and possibly buy a comparable one without a mortgage. Still find a job that pays well and now save a good part of our income. SAVE! Better climate. Not to mention leaving a $18 K property tax bill behind!!! Yes, there are great salaries in NYC but it's not what you make, it's what you can keep.

At the end of the day, I would not relocate somewhere just because it is cheaper to live there. If that were the case, I can think of hundreds of other places that would fit that bill! I think I speak for many transplants that we came because we found a beautiful and affordable place with great friendly people who are so eager to share their city with us. Just curious, are you living here or trying to figure out if this is the place for you?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:43 PM

928 posts, read 3,532,087 times
Quote:
How long ago?
I left one Snowy March Saturday in 1999.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte