Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times

Advertisements

Taxes are high in Nassau county. Prices are high for housing in all 5 boros and north and south shore of LI.Jersey asl well. But, work opportunites are numerous in both states and many, many people make big bux. Right so far?

So....why the move to CLT?? Certainly there are many great schools in the NE so level of quality of educattion is not the issue.

. Entertainment, cultural events, museums, talks,
surround you.Restaurants--Forgetaboutit. Need I say more??

So--this question is for all the displaced New Yorkers and New Jersyites.:In one sentence--why did you decide to leave NY/NJ/Conn/Penn.? Answers such as "I don't like snow", or "I Don't like the stress" , might not cut it when it comes down to ---Well, that's not the total picture. The big picture is a lot bigger than that.

I would welcome the responses of those outside the geographical areas I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:22 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Taxes are high in Nassau county. Prices are high for housing in all 5 boros and north and south shore of LI.Jersey asl well. But, work opportunites are numerous in both states and many, many people make big bux. Right so far?

So....why the move to CLT?? Certainly there are many great schools in the NE so level of quality of educattion is not the issue.

. Entertainment, cultural events, museums, talks,
surround you.Restaurants--Forgetaboutit. Need I say more??

So--this question is for all the displaced New Yorkers and New Jersyites.:In one sentence--why did you decide to leave NY/NJ/Conn/Penn.? Answers such as "I don't like snow", or "I Don't like the stress" , might not cut it when it comes down to ---Well, that's not the total picture. The big picture is a lot bigger than that.

I would welcome the responses of those outside the geographical areas I mentioned.
I'm in South Jersey. Tech jobs that I have been qualified for have been leaving the state for - NC, usually near Charlotte. If, I had one more call from a company in North Jersey where they insulted me for living in South Jersey, I was going to tell the person where to shove it. ( I got as far as if you don't like where I live, why did you call me?)

And.... half of North Jersey decided that our real estate was just too cheap to bother going to NC, & came down here & ran up the real estate here. My property taxes tripled in 5 years.

I decided to go where the jobs have been going & stay in the same climate. (I had offers from friends & family in Michigan.) And yes, I'm willing to work retail or take a factory job if I have to.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 PM

928 posts, read 3,850,915 times
I left western ny because of the economy. when I first moved to Charlotte there was an abundance of jobs. Sadly, now it's not the same.

I left 6 months of winter and to escape from my mother. I love not shoveling snow!!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
we left Ny/NJ because we wanted to start a new chapter and leave it all behind...We needed a change for personal reasons, as well as our son plus dh had traveled to charlotte for business and said it was beautiful....dh was commuting 2 hours each way and we knew there was a better way of life than that....we are so glad we did the move...

Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,334,845 times
1. Main driving force that moved me out of NJ was the high cost of living. When my job ended I did not want to find another in New York city that would barely keep me afloat. So I didn't need the great location (good commute to NYC), the kids were out of public school, so I didn't need the great public schools, and I had a lot of equity in my home... which I did need. So we had to leave... but where to?

2. Needed lower cost of living, primarily housing. Charlotte scores big

3. Wanted a warmer climate

4. Did not want to go too far away for family reasons (This ruled out the west coast and the Southwest)

5. Wanted to be near a city for all the things a city has to offer... like employment. We visited Asheville - nice, but too small.

6. Wanted to be near a lake. We really wanted to be ON Lake Norman, but couldn't afford it close in, so we are satisfied with living near the lake.

7. The clincher for us was having family nearby, but that was more icing on the cake than the driving force that brought us here.

Bigger picture? At first my wife did not want to leave. I told her if we remained where we were in about 3 years we might face financial ruin and not have the choices we have now. I also told her that in 3 to 5 years half of her friends that she did not want to leave would likely be gone. She came around and is also very happy to be here.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
As a born-and-raised Charlottean, I'm glad I've been shown a few places off the beaten path to move to as soon as I get the chance. When I do move, I will say "good riddance" to Charlotte and all the garbage that comes with it. And I don't say that towards people moving here. I say that to the people who continue to tolerate and allow all the bad things. I've had my fill and I will be one of the few moving out instad of one of the many moving in.

This city used to be so nice until I lost my rose-colored glasses and/or my childhood ignorance.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
Man, I'd like to have those back.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
As a born-and-raised Charlottean, I'm glad I've been shown a few places off the beaten path to move to as soon as I get the chance. When I do move, I will say "good riddance" to Charlotte and all the garbage that comes with it. And I don't say that towards people moving here. I say that to the people who continue to tolerate and allow all the bad things. I've had my fill and I will be one of the few moving out instad of one of the many moving in.

This city used to be so nice until I lost my rose-colored glasses and/or my childhood ignorance.
This might be interesting in another thread but,since I live in NY and have recently made some investments in CLT, I am trying to get as much knowledge as I can as to the "inside story" from people that moved to the CLT area. I'm sure a lot of folks would love to hear your side of the story as well.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I left western ny because of the economy. when I first moved to Charlotte there was an abundance of jobs. Sadly, now it's not the same.

I left 6 months of winter and to escape from my mother. I love not shoveling snow!!
How long ago?

Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
1. Main driving force that moved me out of NJ was the high cost of living. When my job ended I did not want to find another in New York city that would barely keep me afloat. So I didn't need the great location (good commute to NYC), the kids were out of public school, so I didn't need the great public schools, and I had a lot of equity in my home... which I did need. So we had to leave... but where to?

2. Needed lower cost of living, primarily housing. Charlotte scores big

3. Wanted a warmer climate

4. Did not want to go too far away for family reasons (This ruled out the west coast and the Southwest)

5. Wanted to be near a city for all the things a city has to offer... like employment. We visited Asheville - nice, but too small.

6. Wanted to be near a lake. We really wanted to be ON Lake Norman, but couldn't afford it close in, so we are satisfied with living near the lake.

7. The clincher for us was having family nearby, but that was more icing on the cake than the driving force that brought us here.

Bigger picture? At first my wife did not want to leave. I told her if we remained where we were in about 3 years we might face financial ruin and not have the choices we have now. I also told her that in 3 to 5 years half of her friends that she did not want to leave would likely be gone. She came around and is also very happy to be here.
Sounds to me like you put the whole thought out package together very nicely.
Best of luck.
je
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte