U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,947 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I have posted here before- my husband and I are in the south burbs of Chicago, IL and are looking to move before the start of the next school year. We are coming to Charlotte within the next few weeks to visit the area, and my husband has a speaking engagement at a church there also. For those of you who have successfully moved to Charlotte and moved with a job waiting for you, how did you manage to interview? Were your interviews primarily over the phone, or did you have to make several trips to the area? We are about twelve hours away, so any suggestions/proven tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,799,910 times
I contacted a firm in city where I lived, which did business with my prior firm. They have an office in Charlotte. I let them know that I wanted to move to Charlotte and they passed my resume to the right people. I only had to fly up to meet with HR (paperwork) and was told my boss would phone me for a telephone interview. When he called, he let me know the guys in NYC had some spectacular things to say about me and the job is mine. I was baffled, but intrigued, no interview necessary. We chatted about other things, such as places to live and his previously years he lived in NYC. It was scary to start a job without having met the person I reported to. However, my transition has been easy and I love what I do. I accepted the job and moved to Charlotte one month later. I flew up and found an apartment in four hours and headed home to make the move. I was one of the lucky ones, I purchased everything once I moved here. This is not typical, but I do recommend that if you are staying in the same business to utilize some of your contacts. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,200,684 times
I did over-the-phone interviews only. Very surprised that they didn't want a face-to-face but if they did, I'm pretty sure it would have been at their expense.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,782 times
Luckily, with our move to CLT, both of us could keep our jobs as we both work remotely four our respective companies. However, when I last interviewed for a job, while living in Baltimore, I interviewed with companies in Raleigh, NC, Philly and NYC. The NYC one was 4 interviews, all via phone. The other two both involved two phone interviews and a final face-to-face interview. In those latter two cases, the company paid for me to come to them: The one in Raleigh paid for a plane ticket for me to fly down for the day and the one in Philly paid me mileage to drive up to their offices (only 85 miles away, it seemed silly to fly there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or