Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Etahnol is actually a great alternative, if you use the right plant to produce it. It takes somewhere on the order of 850,000 gallons of fossil fuel to produce, transport and dispense each 1 million gallons of corn based ethanol. However, if you look at Brazil, and the use of sugar beets for ethanol production, you will find they are NEARLY independent of fossil fuel. I own a 2003 hybrid which uses E85 or gas- and ethanol in the local Charlotte market is only about 10 cents a gallon cheaper (last time I checked). The key, is that ethanol is also less efficient by 10%, which makes it actually more expensive to buy (for me).

Groove, I'm not sure what you were disagreeing with me about. I in no way argue that oil is our best solution- just the one we have, and the one that won't take at least 10 years to produce. Hydrogen fuel cells are awesome, but I bet we are at least 10 and more likely 20 years away from them being commercially available (and affordable by today's standard). Battery operated cars are probably our next soonest available tecjnology. I've recently read that Chevy will have an electric car, capable of over 500 mile range, available and in production by 2010.
The ethanol industry created by the government has only contributed to the rise in food prices worldwide...from the Second Harvest folks here in Charlotte to the hundreds of millions that live on $2.00 or less to the last time you went to the store. Not sure how making cars more efficient is truly helpful if it creates a problem somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Oh yes, if anyone knows of such a site, please post it. If not, I'll have to beg Ms. Ani to start one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There should be a website for carpooling match ups. Does anyone know of such a website? Want me to start one????

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Oh yes, if anyone knows of such a site, please post it. If not, I'll have to beg Ms. Ani to start one!
I am gonna research this. There is a real need and this would be a public service. I mean - seems like it would be. Especially if the people who apply for rides can be screened so that no one ends up w/ a nutball rider/driver, if you know what I mean.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
I think this is a fantastic idea. Please let us know what you find out. If I can help, please send me a DM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am gonna research this. There is a real need and this would be a public service. I mean - seems like it would be. Especially if the people who apply for rides can be screened so that no one ends up w/ a nutball rider/driver, if you know what I mean.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM

111 posts, read 332,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
LOL...nothing to do with the president unless said president has the grapefruits to drill domestically, but to date they are too scared of treehuggers and caribou caressers.

People are paying the money for it. There is no incentive for OPEC to lower the price of crude. When we start using less, the price will come down. Economics 101. Oh yeah, government can quit taxing us out the ying yang too.
Prices have always been artifically low in the US. Travel to other countries and prices are far higher, always have been. Of course when in other countries all you see are Smart cars and small sedans, no SUVs and Trucks . Plus public transportation is far more efficient.

Scared of treehuggers? Funny. Not GWB, he ain't scared of nothin.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
My wife informed me she was told by a co-worker that gas was going up 38 cents a gallon by the end of today. Is this a rumer? I checked snopes but could not find anything. Anyone out there know what the real deal is? Thanks in advance!
I'm sure it is. I'm sure your intentions are positive but it might make people more emotional than anything. Emotions often can most of the swings in stocks. For example, oil jumped $10 on Friday because a Deputy Minister from Israel said an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities was unvoidable. Gee thanks, pal for freaking everybody out.

On the New York Mercantile Exchange today, crude oil futures dropped $4.19 or 3% during today's trading. Today's closing price was $134. Remember, futures contracts give the buyer a price and date at which to possibly buy oil (nat. gas, gasoline, etc) at some point in the future.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Etahnol is actually a great alternative, if you use the right plant to produce it.
Ethanol is a false economy, driving up the cost of basic food items, producing a low yield fuel (20 - 25% less efficient) and requiring huge amounts of fresh water to produce, approximately 1700 gallons of fresh water is required to make one gallon of Ethanol.

The 'unintended consequences' is to raise the prices of many products, food and non-food. It will also result in food shortages in other parts of the world and hardships for the poor here as farmers are cashing in, and not planting food crops, many of which are exported in huge quantities.

It is an ill conceived government initiated disaster with little benefit

Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,417 times
Oil companies are still operating on a 10% profit margin, far lower than many companies.

The government taxes on gas keeps the prices artifically inflated.

We have seen this day coming since the 1970's but America is too proud to give up the big gas guzzlers and luxury automobiles. Bigger is better mentality.

The middle east, especially Saudi Arabia, has control of production and they are playing the financial war game with the US. We may have the military might but they control the financial might. Saudi Arabia money is being used to purchase our financial institutions, they are bailing out companies like Bear Sterns, and they have billions in American funds. They are buying ports and investing all over America.
We are losing the financial war and the US will be bankrupt soon with the middle eastern countries taking over.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Ask and you shall receive...It only shows your zip code when other people match up; not your address and everyone has to log in too. Includes York and lancaster Counties.

Share the Ride NC

Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
We are losing the financial war and the US will be bankrupt soon with the middle eastern countries taking over.

Now that is a scary thought........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte