U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Also at the risk of offending, I'm going to suggest your sources not be limited to Wikipedia. I'd be interested in learning more about Brazil's program but, after all, anybody can edit a Wiki.

Used Wiki simply because it was the first source when I googled looking for a site. There are hundreds of sites with information on Brazil's ethanol program, and I hesitated at first when I used it as a source, thinking someone might bust my chops. Shoulda trusted the gut in this case!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

822 posts, read 2,539,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Used Wiki simply because it was the first source when I googled looking for a site. There are hundreds of sites with information on Brazil's ethanol program, and I hesitated at first when I used it as a source, thinking someone might bust my chops. Shoulda trusted the gut in this case!!
Please bust mine if you see me using it for a topic even if it's something uninteresting like weird roadside attractions or the names of counties in North and South Carolina.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:47 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,993,147 times
Here is article released just six hours ago on Brazil's ethanol program:

Excerpt:

COSTA RICA, Brazil _ The other side of ethanol, vilified as a cause of soaring food prices and hunger, can be seen in Brazil, where farmers are pushing down energy costs _ both at the pump and the electricity meter.

Twenty thousand acres of sugar cane are sprouting through the red soil around this small town, destined for fuel tanks across the world. It's the start of a $2.7 billion ethanol project put together by Brazil Renewable Energy Co., or Brenco, a private venture financed by U.S. and Brazilian investors.

They plan to export a billion gallons of ethanol a year by 2015 _ enough fuel to offset demand for 65,000 barrels a day of oil.

Brazil Seeing Sweet Profit From Sugar Cane-Based Ethanol - Business - redOrbit

This article takes a look at Brazil's ethanol production, but please note: it uses 2006 gas figures. At the time this was published, a gal/ethanol in Brazil cost $1. and our gas was at $1.50 (the article says).

As Brazil Fills Up on Ethanol, It Weans Off Energy Imports (http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=6817 - broken link)

Interesting overview of ethanol and its social impact, from Swedish perspective:

http://www.gronabilister.se/file.php...0511084611.pdf

This should give anyone interested some insight into Brazil's ethanol program, including pros and cons . . .

Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,772 times
Another consideration, is that ethanol can actually be used in even higher concentrations than the 85% we use now. As I understand it, the sole reason for adding gasoline to the mixture is to prevent the ethanol's being used for human consumption.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,428,558 times
Now if you want to think about something scary, just think what would happen if OPEC stopped pegging the price of oil in dollars & switched over to Euros.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,475,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Now if you want to think about something scary, just think what would happen if OPEC stopped pegging the price of oil in dollars & switched over to Euros.

Never will happen. The Euro is praying our dollar gains strength otherwise the Euro will only become weaker! I'll find the article later.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM

160 posts, read 357,666 times
Our incredibly weak dollar is the main reason gas is so high. I expect after nov, gas prices will drop some though. They are really gouging us right now, cause they know their party will soon be over.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,428,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Never will happen. The Euro is praying our dollar gains strength otherwise the Euro will only become weaker! I'll find the article later.
Thanks! I'd be interested in reading it.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
Charlotte driving habits have not change and will not change as a result of this spike.
Set your cruise control to 58 or 60 (mph) on I 77 from I 77 & I 85 to to the I 485 ramps and notice how many cars that will pass you especially large pickup trucks and SUV'S
(the speed limit in this section is 55 mph)

Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,407 times
Default Try Share the Ride NC for car pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There should be a website for carpooling match ups. Does anyone know of such a website? Want me to start one????
Share the Ride NC is a site where you can register & hook up car pools as well as van pools. I'm on there, hoping to find 2 others who want to car pool from Gastonia to Uptown.

CATS is so low on resources right now that they're not starting anymore van pools, but you can get on a waiting list. Maybe car pool until you can make a CATS van pool happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or