Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times

Advertisements

Drove up I-85 yesterday and it is exciting to see the IKEA going up. Looks 3 levels tall...the steel shell of the building. Can't wait for them to open.

As soon as you pass Exit #43 (City Blvd) look to your right as you are going Northbound and you will see it going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Supposed to be a shiny new Walmart going up in that area too! Will certainly be nice to see that albatross on Harris replaced!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Supposed to be a shiny new Walmart going up in that area too! Will certainly be nice to see that albatross on Harris replaced!
The Wal-mart Supercenter is going on City Blvd right across the street. Can't even imagine the traffic that is gonna be on City Blvd...especially when they do away with the 29/49 connector exit over to N. Tryon St. and make everyone use City Blvd to get to N. Tryon St.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
You know, when I posted a thread about the groundbreaking, not too many people here seemed excited about it. So it may just be you and me shopping there, 7-oh-4!!!

(Good, more hot dogs and cinnamon rolls for us!!!)

I'm so thrilled to have one a little closer. Truth be told, it won't be any closer to me here in Ballantyne than the 2 I had "near" me in the Sterling, VA area, but it sure is closer than Atlanta!!! I could drive almost the same distance back to Woodbridge, VA for that. (And have, before they built the Atlanta one.)

Now, if Charlotte could just get a Container Store...

Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
Whooo hoooo!! IKEA near Charlotte. Now I KNOW I will find some bargins. I sure do miss the one I used to shop in MD.

Now, if only we would get a branch of the Container Store!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

247 posts, read 997,989 times
Does anyone know when the construction will be completed for IKEA?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Ikea is supposed to open next Spring.

You know, I was happy we were getting an Ikea, but I was never really that excited. That is, until I went to the one in Atlanta a few weeks ago. One word...Wow!!! That store was incredible, and "huge". I woudn't even consider it so much of a furniture store, but rather more of a furniture mall. Getting an Ikea is certainly a big deal. My trip to Atlanta convinced me of that.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,628 times
It is going to be an utter nightmare for traffic for about 3-4 months after it opens. I worked the Grand Opening for the one in South FL (currently their #1 Store) and it was a disaster for traffic/parking.

Interesting place though, nice stuff, and the cinnamon rolls are yummy, lol.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
I've only been to an Ikea once. I went to the one that replaced Alexander's in Paramus. I ended up going with my sister and her kids and buying a couple of chairs and tables. Then I spent the rest of the day assembling everything. I took the chairs with me, when I moved down here, but left the tables. When I closed on my old house a couple of weeks ago, I was so glad to get the tables back. Most of Ikea's furniture is made in China (where else?), but designed in Sweden. I just wonder when they'll run out of Nordic names for all their items.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You know, I was happy we were getting an Ikea, but I was never really that excited. That is, until I went to the one in Atlanta a few weeks ago. One word...Wow!!! That store was incredible, and "huge". I woudn't even consider it so much of a furniture store, but rather more of a furniture mall. Getting an Ikea is certainly a big deal. My trip to Atlanta convinced me of that.
When I relayed to my husband that no one here really seemed excited about it, he said the same thing: maybe they just don't know what they're missing! He had never been to one either when we met, but he heard me rave about it. Then we took a trip there together, and now, he's a believer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I just wonder when they'll run out of Nordic names for all their items.
Probably never, because my Swedish friend tells me that a lot of the pieces are named exactly what they are or what they do, just in Swedish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte