U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,746,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But "what" are they complaining about? What is the root cause of what they are complaining about?

"Root cause"--perhaps low self -esteem in themselves. No confidence in them selfs. Let's face it---instead of complaining how many people do you know would be able/capable of taking the wonderful advise that Ani gave a short time ago? Complainers will not I repeat WILL NOT follow her advise. She was preaching to the choir. "Doers" take and do her advise not complainers.
Sorry Ani--great advise but...well, you know the score.
john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:55 PM

7,049 posts, read 7,007,000 times
Newcomers' Clubs

Does Charlotte have any "Newcomer's Clubs?" Maybe some of these negative people would be helped by being with people in the same boat, so to speak.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 PM

7,049 posts, read 7,007,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I learned a long time ago, the key to finding happiness in a new area is NOT w/ counting all the things that are different and that you miss, but rather finding NEW THINGS to enjoy. That includes making new friends and discovering new places. Miss the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Make a trip to the museum in Atlanta . . . No, not the same, but a great experience, nevertheless!
High Museum of Art in Midtown, Atlanta, GA. Home | High Museum of Art Atlanta. The museum has various traveling exhibits, including several last year from the Louvre.

Last edited by staywarm2; 06-10-2008 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,205,554 times
ani....I like hockey!!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
High Museum of Art in Midtown, Atlanta, GA. Home | High Museum of Art Atlanta. The museum has various traveling exhibits, including several last year from the Louvre.

Staywarm - thank you for posting that link. I see I must have had hotels on the brain and wrote Hyatt instead of High. Thank you for that link. The High is a really fine museum and Atlanta is such a nice trip from here.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
ani....I like hockey!!!!
LOL - I knew someone out there most likely would!!! I still can't believe we have hockey teams in the South . . . but I guess people can get out and play street hockey, even if we never have the ice to play the real thing, LOL!!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:41 PM

235 posts, read 665,979 times
I think it is never going to be a win situation. People are always going to complain and natives are going to be upset by this. For us we enjoy so many things here the good certainly is better then the bad. We recently went home to NY and couldn't wait to come back to our "new" home. We did bring back the staples can't lie the car was loaded with our favorite foods we could freeze.....

Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 PM

823 posts, read 2,546,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
ani....I like hockey!!!!
Amen to that. Go Wings!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,732,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
I was sitting at a play area today and was sitting near two other ladies. We all chitchatted a bit about the weather etc. One (Ann) asked if us other ladies were new to Charlotte? I nodded yes and the other (Betty)said she was a native.

I went on to say that it was a bit difficult in the beginning with the job market but now I am really content living here. Ann said her husband hated his job and he is getting paid alot less than his previous salary.

Betty changed the subject and asked what school my kid was in. I told her and said that I was really happy with the school and how much my kid loved it. Ann said that the schools were so much better where she was from and she is looking into private for her kid and hopes she can find one that is at least similar to their previous public school.

Uh okay, I desperately tried to change the subject yet again and no matter what I said or Betty said about Charlotte, her previous city was so much better.

At one point, Betty said pointedly, "Why did you come here then?"

Ann huffed and left.

I mean really? All these things are easily researchable and her husband already had the job before they came so they knew about the salary change. If they are that miserable, and it was that great, why did they come? Oh and it wasn't a house, they had been here a year and just found and bought a "resale" house.

I had to smile though, I have been here for almost two years and feel like a mama bear about Charlotte. :-)

Have you run into this?
If her school were so much better where she came from, I wonder why she is such an ill mannered/ignorant person? If thing were the same here as at home, why come here in the first place? One thing that I have learned after living all over the world is that Americans love to complain. They can live in the most fabulous city on earth and they are still going to ***** and complain. I suppose it is just part of the psychological makeup of the American? Chances are this person is miserable because nobody can stand to be around her.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,923,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Where did you go for Indian I only been to Jaipurs and Sangum
bombay cuisine 230 E Wt Harris Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte