U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM

285 posts, read 972,443 times

Advertisements

I was sitting at a play area today and was sitting near two other ladies. We all chitchatted a bit about the weather etc. One (Ann) asked if us other ladies were new to Charlotte? I nodded yes and the other (Betty)said she was a native.

I went on to say that it was a bit difficult in the beginning with the job market but now I am really content living here. Ann said her husband hated his job and he is getting paid alot less than his previous salary.

Betty changed the subject and asked what school my kid was in. I told her and said that I was really happy with the school and how much my kid loved it. Ann said that the schools were so much better where she was from and she is looking into private for her kid and hopes she can find one that is at least similar to their previous public school.

Uh okay, I desperately tried to change the subject yet again and no matter what I said or Betty said about Charlotte, her previous city was so much better.

At one point, Betty said pointedly, "Why did you come here then?"

Ann huffed and left.

I mean really? All these things are easily researchable and her husband already had the job before they came so they knew about the salary change. If they are that miserable, and it was that great, why did they come? Oh and it wasn't a house, they had been here a year and just found and bought a "resale" house.

I had to smile though, I have been here for almost two years and feel like a mama bear about Charlotte. :-)

Have you run into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,912,606 times
Ugh, I feel your pain. I avoid chronic complainers like the plague anyway, but sometimes you have to sit through discussions like that!

These forums are full of stories like yours. It's all the griping you hear about the NY/NJ people coming down here and trying to make the rest of us miserable by complaining about how nothing is like what they had "up north." It's like someone told them this is The Promised Land and they find out there are the same people and types of challenges here as where they were before, as well as some new ones.

It's also why I hope that people keep responding with the truth about Charlotte here to every new person that comes here and says, "So I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte..." Maybe then it will keep the misinformation, as well as some of the disgruntled relocaters, at bay.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM

1,808 posts, read 5,870,340 times
Life is what you make of it. If you are determined to be miserable, then miserable is what you shall be.

I liked your "mama-bear" analogy though. I feel that way sometimes too!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM

870 posts, read 3,215,335 times
You picked NY/Nj for what reason?
I know a lot of Charlotte native who do an awful lot of complaining!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times
I think everyone runs into people now and then that end up finding out that they really don't like where they moved to for numerous reasons........some understandable, others not. People can do all the research on the Internet they want to, but until they "actually" move to a new State/area/city/town, then they really find out what it is like. Listen, if everyone flew to the Denver, Colorado area in the winter time (snow flying and freezing temps), a lot of folks would NOT decide to move there. But, basically it is just the snow skiers that go to Denver in the winter to enjoy skiing in the Rockies.
It is extremely difficult to know if you really like a new area just by "visiting" it for a week. You don't get the "full effect" until you move and are living in an area for awhile.
My wife and I are from "snow States" of Indiana/Michigan and knew what that the Denver metro area got plenty of snow in the winter. We moved from Southern Calif. there and the winter was "ok" with us. That was until I had a hip replacement and tore 3 tendons/rotor cup surgery (fall in ice/snow) in 2006. After that, we knew we had to find somewhere else to live. We complain about some things about Charlotte and the surrounding areas and some of these things come right on the local News......crime and drought.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Have to agree with the second sentence of this posting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post

Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Don't know what being "miserable" has got to do with being honest. The lady was just expressing her and her husbands feelings about being here.
People aren't going to be HAPPY all the time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Life is what you make of it. If you are determined to be miserable, then miserable is what you shall be.

I liked your "mama-bear" analogy though. I feel that way sometimes too!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM

716 posts, read 1,912,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have to agree with the second sentence of this posting!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Lest you misread me, I'm from NJ myself.

And native Charlotteans are not complaining about moving here and not being happy because things aren't just like they had them elsewhere.

I picked them because that's the complaining I've seen around here, and what I've heard on the NY/NJ forums, and what I've gathered from real life people. I'm not saying there are not other "offenders", but those are the ones I see come up most often.

And for the record, it's insanity to expect to move to a whole new place looking for a change and wanting things to be the same, no?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,142,694 times
Although I live In Va I am beginning to hear the same story from people who move South and are constantly complaining about the same issues. I don't think many people who move to this region have done much research before they arrive. When someone comes from one of the worlds' greatest cities and they have been accustomed to a much higher standard of living there is bound to be an adjustment. I lived in the NYC area for several years and I found the people to be much more "money oriented" than here. In other words, waaaaaaaaay too materialistic. The traditional southern view is relax and smell the roses. Lets face it that is a RADICAL or crazy view to many people who come from the worlds' greatest City. I am reminded of a New Yorker cartoon I saw which had a southerner(probably from Charlotte) who was transferred to Manhattan and was complaining that people didn't use the world "ya'll"!! I took a cab in midtown with a couple from GA and they started yelling out of the window for people to stop walking across the street when the "Don't Walk" sign came on. My suggestion? New Yorkers & Southerners need to travel to Rome, Italy. Everyone there has an afternoon "siesta" and somehow this crazy City works fine.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,255,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Have you run into this?
I've mentioned this before. Ann is the majority of people I work with. Most of them still own their old homes and are planning to return back when the time is right for them. I would never knock someone else's choice of a place to live, for any reason. It distresses me to have to hear them go through this stuff every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte