Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 AM

280 posts, read 945,503 times

Advertisements

I am a Charlotte native and have just finished 4 years at Virginia Tech. Being away for all of this time, I have really lost touch with my old groups of friends in Charlotte. I was curious to find out what are the best ways to meet 20 somethings around Charlotte? What volunteer opportunities are best for this? What clubs/organizations? I don't really like meeting people at bars because that's just too loud to really meet people. I have already found the Charlotte Outdoor Adventures club, but I was curious to see if anybody had any other good recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:02 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,198,296 times
I like the meetups (Real groups make a real difference - Meetup.com) gosocial and charlotte young profressionals.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:05 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,630,481 times
Move to the lake....seriously! It's a different world up here......

Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Move to the lake....seriously! It's a different world up here......
haha if I could afford to buy a house on the lake, I would be there already.

Where do you go out up there to meet people? Is there a gathering spot that a lot of young people go to?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,375,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
haha if I could afford to buy a house on the lake, I would be there already.

Where do you go out up there to meet people? Is there a gathering spot that a lot of young people go to?
I think he meant you should rent an apartment in that area, there are quite a few nice ones

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

168 posts, read 504,085 times
How about Hooters!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think he meant you should rent an apartment in that area, there are quite a few nice ones
I have a hard time throwing money at a landlord every month when I could throw that money at payments on my house haha.... although the majority of that goes to interest, but you gotta do what you gotta do haha

Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,630,481 times
Well, I was just talking in general, whether that was renting or buying depending on your situation. FWIW, I live in a very nice area with homes ranging from $140s to $230s. I know you can by a condo on the water for $180k. So although there are multimillion dollar homes up here, there are certainly very nice and affordable homes too.

Birkdale Village is a happening spot with Corkscrew (wine bar), Red Rocks Cafe, Fox and Hound, eez Fusion, and Brixx Pizza to name a few restaurants and such. There are other night spots that get packed around the lake, but I know you said that's not exactly what you're looking for.

Of course, the lake is the big thing. Rusty Rudder is the best hang out spot on the water. It has a great deck with live music over looking the water-excellent for weekend afternoons. Lots of lake parties at those mansions. And you can always tie up at the Sandbar where you'll find anywhere from 10 to 100 boats tied up or anchored by an island with people swimming, floating, and jumping from boat to boat.

The lake has a great vibe, a little different and more laid back than the rest of Charlotte. People are very chill and easy to talk to. So my point in saying just move up here was that you'll find it a breeze to meet new people and have loads of fun-- all in the safest spot in the Charlotte area.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,375,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
I have a hard time throwing money at a landlord every month when I could throw that money at payments on my house haha.... although the majority of that goes to interest, but you gotta do what you gotta do haha
Didn't realize you had already bought a home, congrats!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM

I had heard good things about the rusty rudder in the past, that sounds like something I should check out.

also, where is the sandbar in norman? I typically take my boat to Wylie, but I wanna get up to Norman soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte