Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

It baffles me that today's pizza restaurant score so low on health inspections.

I could understand if they made the pizza crust from scratch with flour laying around but most of pizza's come out today are shipped in pre made from their delivery trucks or the crust is.

They do not have alot of Utensils as other restaurants do so why such low scores?

In North Carolina instead of just using the A, B, C, D system this state also uses the point system and I prefer my restaurant to have a score of 95 or better and depending on how hungry I am I might eat at a place that has 92-94 score rating.

I wanted to try that new Tuscani pasta that Pizza Hut is offering but the local Pizza Hut Score was a 90 so I canceled my order.
It is a take out only place so that baffles me more since they do not have to deal with customers except up by the register.

Pizza Hut
Cornelius 90 Inspection link to page
Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department

Huntersville 90 Inspection Rosedale location link to page
Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department

I could not find other pizza places in this area that had lower score

Excellence
Donatos
Huntersville link to page Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department

source for restaurant scores
Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department home page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Sunny, seems to me most of the violations typically have to do w/ how people are storing ingredients and how they are cleaning up utensils and work areas.

What has grossed me out at some places is that they will have on gloves and be handling money and then back to the pizza! I have seen this at a Subway, too, and I said - WOOOAA - get some fresh gloves b/f you TOUCH the ingredients to my Sub. Totally unsanitary.

So I think some of it is just lack of training w/ employees - or employees that just don't care as long as no one is watching them closely. Plus bad habits, as w/ storing ingredients improperly, leaving stuff out on the counter too long, etc. A good manager is going to be all over employees making sure they handle ingredients properly, but I think often things get busy and the manager is doing front-line work and not noticing what employees are doing in the back. That is my guess.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Be grateful we have the scores. States that don't have them have the highest rates of foodborne illness according to HealthInspections.com: Nationwide Health Inspections at your fingertips.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Almost every Papa John's inspected since January has got a 94 and above. There was one with 92.5 and one with a 90. 90 wouldn't stop me from eating at a pizza place most of the time. Sushi or seafood place, that would stop me from eating there. Sushi has to be 95 or above.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
For Sushi I want 100 or above.

Remember here they give 2 bonus points for servesafe certification, so you can score 102

Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
For Sushi I want 100 or above.

Remember here they give 2 bonus points for servesafe certification, so you can score 102
Nakato's near UNCC for sushi then.

We run the 4 cafes at UNCC and we had all top four scores a few weeks ago on Eat Drink and Be Weary. All were above 100 with 100.5 being the lowest. All of our chefs are required to take Servsafe in addition to other QA training.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:48 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,043 times
Nakato does the sushi for UNCC?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Nakato's near UNCC for sushi then.

We run the 4 cafes at UNCC and we had all top four scores a few weeks ago on Eat Drink and Be Weary. All were above 100 with 100.5 being the lowest. All of our chefs are required to take Servsafe in addition to other QA training.
Now that is impressive, Groove. Thanks for sharing. I always like the info on food service that you provide.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Sunny - have you ever thought about just emailing them or calling and telling them you are disappointed w/ the sanitation scores? Ask to speak to the manager? Anonymously??? LOL. I hate to say it, but I am always afraid if I complain in person someone will take revenge on me when they see me again and cough on my pizza (or worse!!!) I know that sounds awful but have you seen those things on cams that show gross stuff employees have done to food when they get mad???? SCARY . . . .

Old 06-10-2008, 11:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny - have you ever thought about just emailing them or calling and telling them you are disappointed w/ the sanitation scores? Ask to speak to the manager? Anonymously??? LOL. I hate to say it, but I am always afraid if I complain in person someone will take revenge on me when they see me again and cough on my pizza (or worse!!!) I know that sounds awful but have you seen those things on cams that show gross stuff employees have done to food when they get mad???? SCARY . . . .
This is true I really think it bad managment at this place I have been avoiding this PH due to a mess up order before and low scores about six months ago and there so many pizza options up here in Hooterville.

I saw that Tuscani advertise and that got me craving some pasta for last night and this area lacks good pasta places. I guess I will settle for Olive Garden for those cravings.

I was going to take the phone call a little further since I can be a little vocal when I am starving but I knew by sound of guy's voice on phone that he was just there to earn a minimum wage pay check so I didnt create a fuss but I was tempted to say well should take this time of not fixing my order to clean
I think your right with three other pizza places within a 2 block radius of this place they would be hurting a little due to competition.
I remember as a kid Pizza Hut was the best pizza back when it was dine in only and they serve soda in the red coca cola glasses or the ones that had Ms Piggy, Elmer Fudd and the Fontz on them.
When I am fiesty I might write the district manager a letter it to easy to skip over emails.

I ended up getting a premade pasta dish at Harris Teeter.
When I call any restaurant for take out or delivery I ask first what is their sanitation score before I finish the order.

I like the tip on Subway and I will pay attention to that more but most experiences I have had with that company have been good.

I will say Groove has made me more aware of scores at restaurants and when I went to California with no scores I was paranoid.

It definite a managment issue. the employees only do what they are taught in company standards.

I notice alot of times Thai and other international cuisine places have low scores and then I think it because it probably because of the country the owner may be from a country that sanitation isnt a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte