U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2007, 10:56 AM
 
20 posts, read 57,807 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

HazardNC wrote : The Dilworth area too has seen a huge spike in crime, with burglaries and rape, drug dealing, etc.

Can anyone give more information about this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
473 posts, read 1,452,349 times
Reputation: 82
Red face Walking in Rosedale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadz View Post
I know what you mean regarding "real neighborhoods". I grew up in Seattle and spent some time in Norfolk and Richmond. They all had the types of neighborhoods you're referring to. There's actual city blocks on a patterned grid.

Someone referred you to Huntersville and although I'm sure it's perfect for that person, it's exactly opposite of what you're looking for. I live down the road from Rosedale in one of the neighborhoods and although the person described being minutes from lots of restaraunts and shopping, from what I can tell - its not what you're talking about. Its minutes IN A CAR, while you mean short walks or bike rides to pubs, boutique shops, corner stores etc.

The urban lifestyle is not for all, but you're doing great on your current search. NoDa will be a great place - don't worry! It will be great!!!
I beg to differ. Maybe you need A CAR to run simple errands from your neighborhood but I CAN WALK to Rosedale Commons/Market Square and Market Square is expanding, too. There is a bar around the corner called Tailgatorz, an ABC Store, Friendly's, Quizno's, Lotus Bowl, Salsarita's, Japanese Restaurant, Cici's Pizza, Dominoes, Block Buster, Harris Teeter, Bi-Low, CVS etc. and it's all within walking distance. There's a brand new hospital across the street, too. There is also a lot of stuff coming in with the construction on both sides of Gillead and part of it's supposed to be like a "mini-Birkdale" called Torrence Village.

http://www.theghazicompany.com/pdf/T...ackage_web.pdf

We are getting in a Greenway for walking between neighborhoods and shopping. This neighborhood is not finished, yet, and is a very good investment. I highly doubt if you bought in NoDa that your investment would appreciate from $15-30K between contract and appraisal. I think Rosedale is a combo of a great suburb that you can still walk to a village and best of both worlds. I thought they were looking for a real neighborhood yet Rosedale is a suburb and fits both needs. I think this is a perfect compromise.

I will admit, Birkdale and Northlake would have to be driven to but they're not far from here. Mooresville and Concord have great shopping, too, but you obviously need a car to get to them. Maybe my post didn't explain that well but I thought I divided them.

I also have difficulty buying in a transitional neighborhood. Transitional has wthe hope that it is supposed to get better but can be a bad investment if it doesn't. From what I've heard, NoDa is very dangerous. Rosedale is not and has been a great investment. I've seen it somewhere that houses have appreciated in this development 8% over the last year. I'm curious about Noda's appreciation and then add the risk factor in, not only for investment but safety...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
2,314 posts, read 2,111,248 times
Reputation: 287
Default Just one of many examples in NODA

Last Market Sale:
Seller: Carolina Realty Investments Ll Sale Date: 08/03/2004
Deed Type: Warranty Deed Recording Date: 08/03/2004
Deed/Page: 17578-512 Owner Name: Smith Russell C
Sale Price: $75,000

Pending MLS#: 578658

$169,900

Gross profit in 2.5 years $~95K

That's 100% profit. Obviously there was rehab costs but that is pretty good still.


I too like Rosedale and I think its a real nice neighborhood I just think its hard to compare the two equally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2007, 06:50 PM
 
32 posts, read 158,691 times
Reputation: 26
Rosedale is a nice neighborhood. I just picked up diner at Yoshi's. I own a home in Cedarfield just down the street from you. Yes - the townhomes in Rosedale are nice and you can walk. You can't really walk to the hospital. There are no side walks and crossing Gilead would be more dangerous and risky than buying a home in Noda.... at least the ambulance wouldn't take long to help you.

Huntersville is a great SUBURB, but that is not what these people that started the thread are looking for. There is a difference living in suburbs and w/i the city. One is not better than the other. Its a matter of opinion.

Typically the suburban shopping/retail/dining will be your national chains. they're obviously appealling to many people b/c they make tons of $$ nationwide - must be doing something right.

Inner city neighborhoods usually have family owned, independant shopping/retail/dining. To me these are the real treasures of a city that can give a region its unique flavor and charm. I try to support these as much as possible and NoDa will be full of them. Elizabeth, Dillworth and Plaza-Midwood are ripe with these establishments as well. Absolutely nothing wrong with Friendly's, Quizno's, Lotus Bowl, Salsarita's, Japanese Restaurant, Cici's Pizza, Dominoes, Block Buster, Harris Teeter, Bi-Low, CVS etc - (I just went to the japanese place tonight) - but you can go to one of these in any town, in any state in the country. - You can't go to Cabo Fish Taco or the Smelly Cat in NoDa anywhere but NoDa.

Glad you're happy in Rosedale. I'm conent just down the street you, but if it was possible for my current situation - I would like to live in one of the Charlotte neighborhoods they're discussing. Just personal taste. I do like Jackson's Java coffee shop in Rosedale. I'm there every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2007, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
473 posts, read 1,452,349 times
Reputation: 82
Red face NoDa/Rosedale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadz View Post
Rosedale is a nice neighborhood. I just picked up diner at Yoshi's. I own a home in Cedarfield just down the street from you. Yes - the townhomes in Rosedale are nice and you can walk. You can't really walk to the hospital. There are no side walks and crossing Gilead would be more dangerous and risky than buying a home in Noda.... at least the ambulance wouldn't take long to help you.

Huntersville is a great SUBURB, but that is not what these people that started the thread are looking for. There is a difference living in suburbs and w/i the city. One is not better than the other. Its a matter of opinion.

Typically the suburban shopping/retail/dining will be your national chains. they're obviously appealling to many people b/c they make tons of $$ nationwide - must be doing something right.

Inner city neighborhoods usually have family owned, independant shopping/retail/dining. To me these are the real treasures of a city that can give a region its unique flavor and charm. I try to support these as much as possible and NoDa will be full of them. Elizabeth, Dillworth and Plaza-Midwood are ripe with these establishments as well. Absolutely nothing wrong with Friendly's, Quizno's, Lotus Bowl, Salsarita's, Japanese Restaurant, Cici's Pizza, Dominoes, Block Buster, Harris Teeter, Bi-Low, CVS etc - (I just went to the japanese place tonight) - but you can go to one of these in any town, in any state in the country. - You can't go to Cabo Fish Taco or the Smelly Cat in NoDa anywhere but NoDa.

Glad you're happy in Rosedale. I'm conent just down the street you, but if it was possible for my current situation - I would like to live in one of the Charlotte neighborhoods they're discussing. Just personal taste. I do like Jackson's Java coffee shop in Rosedale. I'm there every day!
Point taken. But if you look at the very beginning of the post, one liked the city (City) and the other liked suburbia (Suburbia). I just hear NoDa has a very bad rep and I wouldn't personally want to live there because of it, although the investment potential is better than I thought it would be but you also don't know how much was put into the house to get what appears to be 100% profit, just like the realtor said. Iím also curious how long it was on the market.

My husband and I had to concern ourselves with quick resale and my husband travels. So a top builder in the area, Huntersville being in ďthe top 100 towns in the U.S. to liveĒ (a couple of times running), floorplan winning an award, etc. looked good. Starting a family was a concern for us, too, not that we have, yet, but it was still a concern. We also don't have the time and money to put into a fixer upper. NoDa wouldn't work for us. Rosedale does give them an alternative, if Suburbia doesn't like NoDa. I would hope Suburbia would have some say in this, too. Maybe Suburbia will love NoDa and there will be no problem. I always think there should be a backup plan, though, for City, just in case. Iíve been Suburbia for years, so I find NoDa a difficult sell; and City might just have to do a little or a lot of convincing, or a little or a lot of compromising. Iím curious how this one turns outÖ

I was hoping that when the shopping/restaurants by the hospital are finished, that it would be more pedestrian-friendly. It might not be but it will seriously affect the bars that I go to! Do you know what's going in there? I found an article about Torrence Village plans but haven't seen any specifics, yet.

I hope someday you can make your dreams come true and live in your NoDa or wherever you find comparable to where youíre from. I have NoDa on a smaller scale and would never consider going back to it, let alone live in the center of it, but to each their own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 AM
 
525 posts, read 1,643,139 times
Reputation: 126
If youplan on starting a family and living in the same house at the time, make sure you check schools and I don't know that with children I would wantto be within walking distance of a bar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
 
330 posts, read 932,544 times
Reputation: 304
Glad to see this thread sparked an interesting discussion!

We got back from Charlotte a few hours ago and I am excited to share our story with you all! We toured Plaza-Midwood, Elizabeth, Chantilly and of course NoDA.

There weren't as many houses available within our price range in Elizabeth and Chantilly as there were in Midwood and NoDA, but we did get a chance to check out a few bungalows and smaller constructions. Overall, the neighborhoods were what my fiancee described as "Cute," which is a good word to her. To me they felt similar to some of the incorporated villages in Westchester County (like Bronxville, Tuckahoe, etc.) but maybe just a bit more urbanized. I loved the distance from Uptown but felt that the houses we saw (and could afford) were just too small to fit our needs.

In Plaza-Midwood, we started out by getting a feel for Central Avenue, which seemed a bit more spread out than what I expected. The area overall was very nice but I noticed that there weren't many people outside on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. It could have just been where we were, but it is something that stuck out to me. I want a living, breathing neighborhood, not another isolated zone where everyone spends their lives inside their homes. Not saying that Plaza-Midwood is like that, but I didn't get the vibrant feel from the area that I was hoping for. This really disappointed me.

We first got a taste of NoDA by stopping off at a bakery in a little strip mall off of North Davidson on 28th street (I think). Here, we met a long time resident walking his beautiful South African Mastiff (we are very much dog people, so striking up a conversation with him was a given). I asked him how he felt about the area, and what his thoughts were about it still being considered "Challenged." His response was to go drive around the area and check out all the people walking with their dogs and their kids. He said that would tell us everything we needed to know.

The first house we looked at in NoDA was on Yadkin, but up by a large park (so not the Yadkin down by the heart of NoDA). There was some developer buying up a TON of houses in the area (we saw a bunch of signs for yadkin avenue project or something). Now, this area was a mess. It reminded me a bit of the nastier parts of Bridgeport, CT if you have ever been up around that way. The house was a new construction and was absolutely beautiful, but the neighborhood took away from it (the backyard had a lovely view of the neighbor's barbed wire fence). This was a good ten blocks down from the heart of NoDA, and I later found out is actually NOT a part of NoDA but is something called Villa Heights. The developers are billing it as NoDA and selling it for NoDA prices. I wonder if this is the reason that so many people still think that NoDA is also challenged?

Our next house was a few blocks back from 36th and North Davidson, and was a two story Craftsman styled bungalow with a wide, wrap around porch. This was also a new construction. We fell in love with this house! The design of the house was amazing and the attention that was paid to every little detail really stood out to us. The neighborhood was mixed between new constructions like this, renovations, and some houses that could use a bit of work. After being amazed by the beauty of this house, we went to walk the strip and talk up the neighborhood a bit.

Since I have left New York, I have not found another place where the residents had as much a sense of community as the people I met hanging around in NoDA. Everybody we spoke to was enthusiastic about the neighborhood and would go into detail about what they loved about living there. We ate a delicious lunch at the Solstice bar, and spoke to at least a dozen residents of the area. My fiancee and I both felt at home here.

My post is too big, so continuing it ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 PM
 
330 posts, read 932,544 times
Reputation: 304
... continued from previous post.


The house we fell in love with had an Open House and we were really nervous that someone else would snatch it up behind our backs. We decided to stalk the open house for a bit and see what kind of traffic it was getting. We walked in again as if it was our first time, and wound up speaking to the designer of the house and the realtor who was doing the open house. Both of them were residents of the neighborhood. In fact, the builders, mortgage broker and just about everyone involved with this house lives in the neighborhood! I don't know if they saw through our ruse or not, but the designer and the agent doing the open house were amazingly nice to us and even invited us to hang out with them at a local bar that night!

We were sold. The beauty and warmth of the people in NoDA made us feel so at home that it was just about a no-brainer. We made an offer on this house and it was accepted. We will be moving to Charlotte at the end of February, and I can't wait!

Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks again for all the help. To the people who warned us about NoDA, thank you for your concern, but I think you need to get out to the area and meet some of the people. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Reputation: 39856
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
... continued from previous post.


The house we fell in love with had an Open House and we were really nervous that someone else would snatch it up behind our backs. We decided to stalk the open house for a bit and see what kind of traffic it was getting. We walked in again as if it was our first time, and wound up speaking to the designer of the house and the realtor who was doing the open house. Both of them were residents of the neighborhood. In fact, the builders, mortgage broker and just about everyone involved with this house lives in the neighborhood! I don't know if they saw through our ruse or not, but the designer and the agent doing the open house were amazingly nice to us and even invited us to hang out with them at a local bar that night!

We were sold. The beauty and warmth of the people in NoDA made us feel so at home that it was just about a no-brainer. We made an offer on this house and it was accepted. We will be moving to Charlotte at the end of February, and I can't wait!

Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks again for all the help. To the people who warned us about NoDA, thank you for your concern, but I think you need to get out to the area and meet some of the people. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you find!
LAMF - I'm happy if you're happy, truly I am. But I do know people in the neighborhood, which is how I know of the struggles there. Two friends in particular are hanging on by their fingernails knowing that if they can just do this two more years they will have quadrupled their investment. It has gotten harder since having their back door kicked in AND having guns put in their faces in their own driveway walking home from a gallary crawl. I promise you, I am not some alarmist. And frankly I am glad that development is moving in and cleaning that area up. I just would not personally be willing to put my life and peace of mind on the line to live in the next big real estate. Money and making a killing on real estate would just never be that important to me. I understand that is not your motivation, you are sincerely looking for a neighborhood of vibrance and color. I just sincerely do not want you to go into this with rose colored glasses thinking there are no real problems there. Just watch your backs and be cautious. If you do not want to believe me - call the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police and ask to speak to the officer assigned to that neighborhood watch program and/or get a copy of the crime stats for recent crime there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2007, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
473 posts, read 1,452,349 times
Reputation: 82
Red face Children/schools/bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
If youplan on starting a family and living in the same house at the time, make sure you check schools and I don't know that with children I would wantto be within walking distance of a bar
There are plenty of children in this neighborhood, schools are fine. As far the the bar, it just came in and there are plenty of restaurants, stores, and such right next to it. I don't have children so it's not a concern what I do on a Friday or Saturday night. Birkdale has bars within walking distance, too, depending on the location of the home. I'm sure other areas do, too. This neighborhood is suitable for those with children and those without. I don't know if this would be my choice if I was single, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top