U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,748,033 times

Advertisements

I know most of you people have everything you need right at home sweet home and the surrounding area.However, I'm interested in information about people that do in fact own a second home. Weekend home. Fishing cabin. Beach schack. Mountain retreat.

Where did you buy? What do you have? Why did you buy it?
Would welcome answers from those that know of people that own.Perhaps the home is out of state (SC) OK,but I am only interested in info from people that live in Clt and surrounding area.
JE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,227,457 times
A lot of people do own second homes or condos in resort areas . . . Charleston, or one of the areas near Charleston, is a popular place b/c it is an easy drive from Charlotte.

Other areas are Boone, Asheville, or near Lake Lure . . .

Used to be (30 or more years ago) many people had mobile homes or small fishing type cabins along the Catawba River, but most of those have been torn down, and replaced w/ homes, as lake lots have soared in price . . .

It used to be that having a second home was pretty common . . . but the price of mountain and lake land has escalated so much that it is just not that feasible these days. I know more people who own condos that they rent out now than houses for their own private use.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,456,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I know most of you people have everything you need right at home sweet home and the surrounding area.However, I'm interested in information about people that do in fact own a second home. Weekend home. Fishing cabin. Beach schack. Mountain retreat.

Where did you buy? What do you have? Why did you buy it?
Would welcome answers from those that know of people that own.Perhaps the home is out of state (SC) OK,but I am only interested in info from people that live in Clt and surrounding area.
JE
Well perhaps you should survey that specific group of people like any other real estate investor would. When you use this forum for your own personal financial gain, you dont get to choose who responds to you. I'm not looking for a fight here, and before you give me one, look up your threads and some of your posts. If this works for you and people don't mind, then God bless. Just try to be less insulting to those who are using the forum as it was intended and will be long after you are gone.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 AM

Default Nothing insulting at all-Perhaps you need your diaper changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Well perhaps you should survey that specific group of people like any other real estate investor would. When you use this forum for your own personal financial gain, you dont get to choose who responds to you. I'm not looking for a fight here, and before you give me one, look up your threads and some of your posts. If this works for you and people don't mind, then God bless. Just try to be less insulting to those who are using the forum as it was intended and will be long after you are gone.
Ever think about the fact that when I asked for CLT members ONLY to respond that this is a CLT forum board? Ever think that there are 3 other geographical sub-forums for NC and IF I was interested in their information I would ask them?

Guess not. Like to know the reasons why, or would you prefer getting your undies all tied in a knot? I would be happy to answer your question by DM if you would like.All you have to do is ask. Don't be bashful as I have nothing to hide. If I did I wouldn't use a public forum board and expose my evil intentions.

As far as using this forum board "for my personal gain" let me know how much I owe you for your nasty post. Don't suppose I owe you much.

Usually "God Bless" and a giving attitude don't go hand and hand nor does your off topic response.

Have great day and hope you feel better.I mean it, as you must have better things to do than track my posts.
John

BTW: If the moderator feels my post asking for responses from CLT residents only is improper I will gladly re-write and give more details.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Ever think about the fact that when I asked for CLT members ONLY to respond that this is a CLT forum board? Ever think that there are 3 other geographical sub-forums for NC and IF I was interested in their information I would ask them?

Guess not. Like to know the reasons why, or would you prefer getting your undies all tied in a knot? I would be happy to answer your question by DM if you would like.All you have to do is ask. Don't be bashful as I have nothing to hide. If I did I wouldn't use a public forum board and expose my evil intentions.

As far as using this forum board "for my personal gain" let me know how much I owe you for your nasty post. Don't suppose I owe you much.

Usually "God Bless" and a giving attitude don't go hand and hand nor does your off topic response.

Have great day and hope you feel better.I mean it, as you must have better things to do than track my posts.
John

BTW: If the moderator feels my post asking for responses from CLT residents only is improper I will gladly re-write and give more details.
My post was not "Nasty" . I did not question your use of this forum, you made that clear to us in the past. I don't "track" your posts, I simply read them along with all the others. Being new to the area, I often enjoy the responses to your inquiries and am often taken back by some of your smart alek responses to people who are simply trying to answer your question or just want to be heard. LIKE....let's hear from the smart people, dont mind her, she's learning to google, Want to hear why you moved, but not if it was because of stress or snow...
You don't get to choose who responds and should have enough business sense to just read through the ones that don't apply and be grateful for the ones that are helpful to you.
My post was suggesting that you be a little nicer around here, but I can see from your response to me and your need to somehow tie it into my potty habits, my undergarmets, and then insinuate that I would use God's name in Vein, that you are just not able to do that.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 AM

264 posts, read 829,911 times
I was also curious -- it does seem like you tend to do a lot of your "market research" here.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM

280 posts, read 859,955 times
All quibbling aside, my family has a second home in Fancy Gap, VA. In my opinion, it is a much better option than popular Boone or Asheville for someone looking for a quiet retreat. Property is not ridiculously expensive, and people are making the choice to purchase there on a fairly regular basis. Fancy Gap is exit 8 in VA on I-77. It takes about 2 hours (maybe closer to 1:45) to get there. Fancy Gap is very quiet and secluded, while not being too far from conveniences in Galax, VA and Hillsville, VA.

Last edited by VaTechKA; 06-11-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM

He has disclosed that. I don't question it and had no problem . I just feel he is bullish and insulting to people who are giving him free advice. People need to count their blessings and he should see that this forum was one to him.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,227,457 times
John, Solnechko and Doorway are respected members of the forum, and you really have been flipping people off, whether you realize it or not. Your ascerbic wit can come across as mean-spirited. Just an observation from someone who really enjoys this forum . . . and has made a lot of friendships b/c of being here . . . Doorway and Solnechko being two of them. We are all here to share info . . . and that should be an uplifting, enlightening and (hopefully) enjoyable experience.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Default In case you're wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
All quibbling aside, my family has a second home in Fancy Gap, VA. In my opinion, it is a much better option than popular Boone or Asheville for someone looking for a quiet retreat. Property is not ridiculously expensive, and people are making the choice to purchase there on a fairly regular basis. Fancy Gap is exit 8 in VA on I-77. It takes about 1 hour (maybe closer to 1:45) to get there. Fancy Gap is very quiet and secluded, while not being too far from conveniences in Galax, VA and Hillsville, VA.
Thanks for the response. Your post points out to me that you thought I was interested in a second home in the CLT area. After reading a similar DM sent to me this morning I re-read my OP to see what the confusion was. My OP is misleading in a way. Here is what I meant to say:

I am interested (not in a vacation home in CLT) but WHERE people in CLT that have second homes go FROM CLT.I asked where do they own these homes and why did they buy there. I asked for responses from CLT residents only because IF I move to the CLT area I would like to know what is possible for me should I decide to have a week-end get away place.Hence, my comment about SC (Santee Lake region) which I think is doable but don't know.

I rely on this board for information as I know there are a lot of smart people here. When I said "looking to hear from 'smart' people I prefaced the statement by saying (what do I know?) ie: people here are smarter than me.

Enough of this bantering-if you have something to add to the thread great-I welcome it. If you don't like my humor (aka 'smart alex') then go to another comedy club.

Cordially.
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or