U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:33 AM

338 posts, read 539,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Perhaps CLT doesn't fit the exact definition of WCC according to Wikipedia
but I question those (especially ex-NYers) who say they miss the cultural events in NYC, NJ, Phila.--do you now take advantage of what is offered to you in CLT? Did you go to cultural events in NY frequently and now miss it terribly? Is the music, dance, theater, so bad that you don't attend these performances either? Or are you partaking in the enjoyment of the cultural events in another setting, enjoying it differently, in spite of the fact it might not be "World Class"?
I do, and I will attend what's offered in Clt.

P.S.: In terms of cultural events (and practically everything else), nothing in America is world class outside of NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:51 AM

5,452 posts, read 5,194,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post

P.S.: In terms of cultural events (and practically everything else), nothing in America is world class outside of NY.
Might be but I was trying to stay on topic----or else---SK would place my head on a World Class platter. :>

Old 06-14-2008, 08:06 AM

35,578 posts, read 43,814,468 times
John, you actually bring up something I have wondered about - how many of the people "complaining" ever even took advantage of all the "cultural opportunities" in their former cities??? We have seen this snobbery for many years and yet, when we would question those that were complaining . . . we found out they were NOT consistent patrons of the arts in the cities from whence they came, Hee Hee. Rather, it was some kind of acquired snobbery - "We had better where we are from" - based on nothing more than wanting to sound "superior" to the locals. Of course, this has only been a segment of people who move here . . . After all, only a portion of ANY population is going to be interested in such things as opera, ballet, symphony concerts, etc. And that is fine!!!!

The key to having a well-rounded city (and I don't care if it is world class or not) is to offer a variety of types of entertainment, sports, arts . . . in several venues and for different age groups. Anyway, that is what pleases ME.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:32 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,145,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post

See that London has been dethroned by Moscow and Istanbul. I guess London is losing its status as a world class city. Guess that will only leave New York, Istanbul, and Moscow? I also saw where the U.K. did not make the top 50 list of countries with outstanding economies. The U.S. was number one of course. Guess there could not be any world class cities in the U.S. to accomplish that. LOL. Perhaps the U.K. needs your legal assistance.?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM

22,075 posts, read 40,089,853 times
moderator note:

Thank you to all those who contributed what they feel world class is but we are deviating majorly off the original topic of the original post.
Please refrain from sharing you view of world class this topic has been covered enough in this thread.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:08 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,145,209 times
The requirements of what it takes to be a "world class city" should be listed. Then the topic won't be opinionated but factual.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 PM

2,108 posts, read 926,642 times
Personally, I would like to see Major League baseball...but I have to disagree with an earlier poster about soccer and lacrosse--I dont think those two sports would draw at all...

Old 06-14-2008, 12:22 PM

35,578 posts, read 43,814,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Personally, I would like to see Major League baseball...but I have to disagree with an earlier poster about soccer and lacrosse--I dont think those two sports would draw at all...
Oh, soccer would!!! I have no doubt about that . . . too many people I know are big into soccer for it not to be a big draw.

Heck, I love Rugby and one of my sons played Rugby in college and then for the Army. So I would like more Rugby, myself, LOL.

And I agree - major league baseball . . .

Old 06-14-2008, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 18,762 times
I really have to agree with everyone before me who said that Charlotte is demolishing its history. I remember growing up here and going downtown and all the really great old buildings. I think it's a give and take because let's face it - downtown (or as it's known now, Uptown) was not the kind of place you'd want to be after dark. I happen to really like what they've done to the Trade, Tryon, and College Street areas. But I remember hearing a rumor a while back that they were talking about tearing down Spirit Square to put in a baseball stadium for the Knights (who BTW have a perfectly nice stadium in Fort Mill)! Tearing down Mcglohon Theatre would be the last straw for me.

What does Charlotte need? ---- People to stay here and learn to love the city the way natives have.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 AM

4,476 posts, read 4,934,206 times
As a Charlottean and a lover of big cities, I don't see anything wrong with looking at other big cities such as New York, Chicago, Atalnta, Dallas, and Houston to see how Charlotte can get what it is missing and get to world class status (however one may define that). I think Charlotte is missing effecient mass transit. The Lynx system is a start but we need more. Charlotte needs better museum facilities. While Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh, Raleigh has better museums (I guess having the capitol makes it able to have the capital to get those things). Charlotte needs a better skyline. The skyline is the best in the state but why settle for that? We are building but it would be nice to get those Trump towers here. Charlotte could use more culture but it getting there. The beatties ford area is like Harlem and Eastway & Central is kinda like Spanish Harlem. Charlotte also needs the mentality that it is world class city and get the local politics to push the agenda. Also, just some useless but interesting info, Charlotte is part of a major world region known as Charlanta, an article written by Mr. Florida. Charlotte needs a co-operative relationship with Atlanta, kind of like a trading buddy. Also and lastly Charlotte needs a better diversified economy other than the banks. We can do this by, as a city investing in the higher education of UNC Charlotte, Johnson C. Smith, Queens University, and John Wales University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte