U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,710,190 times
Reputation: 423

Advertisements

Hooters's is wanting to put a restaurant Uptown. While I like their food OK...it is not the classiest of establishments. Do we really want that in Uptown Charlotte. They are wanting to go where the old Graduate was on W. Trade St. between Tryon & Church. Diagonally across the street from First Presbyterian Church. If they were gonna go Uptown...put it down by the Nascar Hall of Fame...where there is no residential an no churches.

Uptown residents kept Coyote Ugly from relocating to that same area (1 block down Church St.)...hopefully we can stop Hooters!

I am sure people in Ballantyne & Myers Park wouldn't want one there either.

 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,040,314 times
Reputation: 22370
ROFL!!! I see them all over in every city . . . but they seem to usually be around malls or large strip malls . . . I was surprised to see they wanted an uptown location, frankly . . .
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Drury Lane
822 posts, read 2,541,357 times
Reputation: 249
Is it really a big deal if Hooters moves Uptown?

Mark Washburn's column in today's Observer (6/11/08) was a good laugh as far as pointing out the NIMBY-ness of this "issue." To read his take on it, Charlotte's getting a little stuck up.

Here's the link but it will only work for a week or so.

Charlotte Observer | 06/11/2008 | It's getting stuffy in here … A-hem. Must be uptown (http://www.charlotte.com/671/story/663650.html - broken link)
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne - Endhaven Communities
280 posts, read 858,464 times
Reputation: 65
I don't really see a problem with Hooters locating uptown. Hooters isn't a strip club, it's a restaurant. I would 100% oppose some trashy strip club locating in the heart of uptown, but Hooters is just a fun place to eat and drink. The people that go to hooters are not degenerates, they are normal people.

As far as coyote ugly goes, that is also a normal good place. We are lucky to be one of the few cities with a true Coyote Ugly saloon, why would we shun that? In order to be come a true major city, we cannot shun things like this.

If you really want to shun something, start doing something about the abundance of trashy strip clubs near South End and continuing throughout the South Blvd area.
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,710,190 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
I don't really see a problem with Hooters locating uptown. Hooters isn't a strip club, it's a restaurant. I would 100% oppose some trashy strip club locating in the heart of uptown, but Hooters is just a fun place to eat and drink. The people that go to hooters are not degenerates, they are normal people.

As far as coyote ugly goes, that is also a normal good place. We are lucky to be one of the few cities with a true Coyote Ugly saloon, why would we shun that? In order to be come a true major city, we cannot shun things like this.
Uptown Cabaret is technically not Uptown. They are very near Uptown on Morehead St. There is not 1 single strip club in Uptown proper.

We (4th Ward residents) just don't want that near our homes...like alot of people would not want that right beside them or a few blocks away.

I am not judging anyone personally...I just stated that it is not the classiest of establishments...especially right across the street from a church.

Why can't they put it down near the Nascar Hall of Fame...where there is nothing...not near a church and expensive real estate and a Historic neighborhood...thats all.
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 AM
 
777 posts, read 2,273,255 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Hooters's is wanting to put a restaurant Uptown. While I like their food OK...it is not the classiest of establishments. Do we really want that in Uptown Charlotte. They are wanting to go where the old Graduate was on W. Trade St. between Tryon & Church. Diagonally across the street from First Presbyterian Church. If they were gonna go Uptown...put it down by the Nascar Hall of Fame...where there is no residential an no churches.

Uptown residents kept Coyote Ugly from relocating to that same area (1 block down Church St.)...hopefully we can stop Hooters!

I am sure people in Ballantyne & Myers Park wouldn't want one there either.
No offense...but you sound like some elitist NIMBY. Your fourth ward and church collation will not scare a corporate Hooters away if that is the spot they like.

Uptown needs a variety of places to eat, not just upscale restuarants. You don't think this place will be packed with convention goes and office workers looking to get a cheap sitdown lunch/dinner?

If uptown ever want to be like a "real city", you need to have places like this, even if it is tacky and you won't eat there..
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,710,190 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
No offense...but you sound like some elitist NIMBY. Your fourth ward and church collation will not scare a corporate Hooters away if that is the spot they like.

Uptown needs a variety of places to eat, not just upscale restuarants. You don't think this place will be packed with convention goes and office workers looking to get a cheap sitdown lunch/dinner?

If uptown ever want to be like a "real city", you need to have places like this, even if it is tacky and you won't eat there..

You live in SouthPark...a very nice section of town. Would you want one a block from your house?

I am very down to earth personally. I know Hooter's is in most cities...but they are not right in the City Center of the cities.

We kept Coyote Ugly's away..we can only PRAY that we can keep this out of 4th Ward too.

Why can't they relocate near the Nascar Hall of Fame...there is nothing down that way is all I am saying.

It's truely a shame to voice your opinion on this site and if it doesn't fit the majority...you will get blasted for it...truely a shame.

And I have eaten at a Hooter's more than once...just don't want one down the street from my house.
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 AM
 
630 posts, read 1,675,056 times
Reputation: 287
I used to work at a Hooters (as a cook) and its no worse than any other bar or restaurant. They can't even serve hard liquor so in that aspect its more mild than a bar.

I can see if they wanted to tone down the big orange sign to something that fits the area a little better but for Hooters itself, its a lot of fuss about nothing.
 
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,867,424 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Is it really a big deal if Hooters moves Uptown?

Mark Washburn's column in today's Observer (6/11/08) was a good laugh as far as pointing out the NIMBY-ness of this "issue." To read his take on it, Charlotte's getting a little stuck up.

Here's the link but it will only work for a week or so.

Charlotte Observer | 06/11/2008 | It's getting stuffy in here … A-hem. Must be uptown (http://www.charlotte.com/671/story/663650.html - broken link)

That's a great article.

from what I have seen of hooters, they are more responsible for their patrons than most bars.
 
Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne - Endhaven Communities
280 posts, read 858,464 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Uptown Cabaret is technically not Uptown. They are very near Uptown on Morehead St. There is not 1 single strip club in Uptown proper.
Yes, I realize that there are no strip clubs in Uptown. I was referring to the strip clubs off of South Blvd and surrounding areas.

At least Uptown Cabaret and Mens Club are somewhat clean and upscale. Take a gander at the surroundings as you drive down South Blvd from Uptown to 485. You will see some interesting establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top