U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 PM

708 posts, read 1,361,111 times

Advertisements

OK scooter owners - is it legal for a scooter to be riding in the bike lane? I saw that the other day and as a cyclist (I was driving at the time) I was concerned about that. I just could see a scooter rounding a corner or speeding up and having a hard time passing a cyclist without getting back "into" traffic.

The other issue with this scooter was that he was randomly riding in the bike lane, and then drifting out of it, and then going back in again. And he jumped cars to get to the front of the light. Just seemed very unwise and stupid - and I realized I have no idea what's "legal" on a scooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,368,162 times
No, no, no the scooter cannot ride in the bike lane. No more than they can ride them on the bike trails. Most bike lanes allow no motorized vehicles.
I have a Honda Helix, 250 which I love. This is the beginning of my third summer with this bike and I have 8800 miles on it. I use it for recreation and love to ride it in the country. I wear all the safety gear and would not ever go without a helmet. I took an advance safety class last year which was really worth the time.
Those tiny scooter don't realize what a car could do to them in a heartbeat. It seems like it is usually really young kids who just don't have the experience or training.
Not sure even if I was going to work for a short distance that I would want anything smaller than a 150. You need some pep to keep up with traffic, good sized tires and a name brand so that you can get it serviced.
You just have to watch all the time since when you are on a small bike you are just hard to see.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:41 PM

708 posts, read 1,361,111 times
Thanks driftwoodpoint - I thought the guy was an idiot for riding in the bike lane but then felt guilty and wondered if perhaps it was allowed.

And yeah it's the younger ones who usually don't have the experience. I used to ride a motorcycle and took the MSF safety course and I just am appalled at how easy it is for any untrained person to ride a scooter, and do so badly, in the streets. I even see people riding in shorts with no shirt, or bathing suits. Falling will hurt just as bad on a scooter as it does on a motorcycle!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 PM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Show a link to state law or regulation that is again riding in a bike lane ? If the scooter is out of the car way legally then it good for all parties. Scooters have this thing call brakes if there is a bicycle in the way. A 49cc scooter will not be flying in a bike lane and would be to adjust to its own traffic. What you describe above would be illegal manuevering if it was a motorcycle or car. Just like a car a scooter would need to follow traffic flow and laws and traffic in it lane.

If the scooter is above 49cc it is consider a motorcycle so yes it would need to stay in regular lane and would really have no need to be in the bike lane.
a 49cc scooter or less is traveling at a speed that many cyclists can do.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 PM

2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
I can't find anything statewide prohibiting use of scooters in bike lanes. It may be that each municipality has to decide since bike lanes are typically constructed under the auspices of that area. The only certain link for NC I could find was Greensboro
Bicycling Definitions (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/GDOT/divisions/planning/bicycleandpedestrian/bicycles/gsosharestheroad/definitions.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Motor vehicles may not drive in bike lanes or shoulders created by edge lines, except when turning and crossing them to enter or exit a driveway or parking space.
The part where the guy was jumping in front of cars to get to the light is typically regarded as 'lane splitting' . That's a gray area. It's actually only legal in a couple of states, one being California (rule is no more than 10mph faster than the traffic around you and under the speed limit). In other states, I suppose an interpretation of safety by the cop that stops the person would apply. Personally, I don't think it's wise. Ever been stuck in traffic because of construction or an accident and see another car driver go sailing by on the shoulder then force their way in the lane near the front? That inspires murderous thoughts A lot of car drivers feel the same about bikers splitting lanes to get to the front. On message boards, I've read where riders have things thrown at them for that.

On another note about scooter safety, I tracked down this link in my bookmarks. I found it so interesting that I saved it. Someone actually sat down and put a lot of thought into why car drivers don't 'see' riders. Kinda neat
Bicycle Helmets and Visibility

Quote:
Some intelligent doctor types have postulated that the brain is an organ which rejects, rather than gathers information. They believe that if all the information collected by the senses were to register, the brain would experience sensory overload and blow its fuses.

For example, all the billboards, signs and other visual messages along the road can't possibly register in the brains of car drivers. That would cause sensory overload. To prevent that, the brain tends to organize the world into systems; those which are important to the activity at hand, and those which aren't. The car driver's brain has learned to exclude the non-essentials, and to focus only on those objects which are a threat to survival. On the road, those objects are predominantly other cars. Because cars are much wider than they are tall, the brain systematizes threats as objects characterized by horizontal lines.

Things characterized by vertical lines are eliminated from consciousness as non-threatening, extraneous information. Trees, lamp standards, sign posts, bridge abutments, buildings; none of these vertical objects are liable to jump out in front of the driver to threaten his existence.

Along comes a motorcycle. The driver's eyes give it a quick visual scan and the brain determines that this too is a vertical object. No threat. No further focus required. Zone out. Continue replay of last nights debauchery.

The next thing you know, the driver turns left across your lane even though you can see him looking right at you!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 AM

2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Until the recent spike of gas prices, these were typically known as 'liquor cicles' because people got them after loosing their driving privileges after DUI convictions.
And if they get caught riding a scooter while drunk, they'll get busted just the same as if they were in a car
North Carolina Appeals Court Says DUI Laws Apply to Scooters

Quote:
The Appeals Court upheld his conviction, ruling that one may drive "horses, bicycles, or lawnmowers" as well as Segways and wheelchairs on public roads while drunk, but not scooters.

"Since defendant's scooter falls within the legislature's definition of 'vehicle' in N.C. Gen. Stat. 20-4.01(49) and does not meet the requirements of any of the exceptions to that definition, we conclude that it is a 'vehicle,'" the court wrote. "An average person exercising common sense should have known that operating a motorized scooter while impaired would subject him to the penalties of the statute."

Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 AM

4,282 posts, read 7,142,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
"The Appeals Court upheld his conviction, ruling that one may drive "horses, bicycles, or lawnmowers" as well as Segways and wheelchairs on public roads while drunk, but not scooters.
Horses, wheelchairs, lawnmowers, Segways?
Apparently I am not the only person who listens to country music.

Vince Gill had a song a while back where a guy has a few, wife takes his keys, and he drives the tractor to the bar.
But I see a real opportunity here regarding a song involving horses, or maybe the Segway.
Yes, definitely the Segway.

[grabs pen and pad and begins writing next years country smash hit]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-14-2008 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 AM

16,310 posts, read 14,774,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A 49cc scooter will not be flying in a bike lane and would be to adjust to its own traffic.
These scooters are apparently not that difficult to 'soup up', as I often see them running 45 MPH or faster. I have even been passed on a slight uphill grade when I was going 45, the speed limit. (Hendersonville Rd. near the BRP overpass), so yea 49cc liquor cycles can fly.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 AM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
If they are soup up then they fall under the dmv requirements for engines that go more than 49cc's and fall under the class of motorcycle. The body of some 49cc is really no different than one that has more cc's so there is no way of telling by just passing one. Except under law the one that does go faster than 49cc should have a license tag on the rear.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,774,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If they are soup up then they fall under the dmv requirements for engines that go more than 49cc's and fall under the class of motorcycle. The body of some 49cc is really no different than one that has more cc's so there is no way of telling by just passing one. Except under law the one that does go faster than 49cc should have a license tag on the rear.
They didn't have a tag, sounded like a rabid chain saw, and are typically ridden by young males, thus assuming 49cc'ers.

Typically I think you will find that those that might have already lost their driving privilege, aren't overcome with the need to follow all of the rules laid down by the DMV or anyone else.

If these were scooters with larger than 49cc engines, then again a group that has decided that the rules don't apply to them as they did not have tags, or even a visible bracket on which to mount one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte