U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 AM

63 posts, read 209,759 times

Advertisements

HELPPPPP!!!

I will be moving to Charlotte at the beginning of next year, I will be attending Johnson and Wales in the fall and really need to find a decent place to live.

What are the best areas to live in Charlotte???

low crime, pet friendly, parks and such nearby?? We are willing to live outside of Charlotte and me commute as well.

I have read so many postings, but just can't find what I'm looking for.

We are trying not to go over $850/month for a 1 bedroom. We currently pay $699 for 840sqft 1 bedroom in BUrlington, NC..which I know it will be more living in the Charlotte area.

Last edited by vmd1123; 06-12-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
We are moving to Charlotte in August but have been checking out places since last year.So far the best area to fit your criteria is South Charlotte,Matthews,Pineville area. My friends that live there love it!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM

327 posts, read 1,057,801 times
Johnson and Wales is located uptown, if I'm not mistaken. That leaves it pretty much wide open for places to rent. South Charlotte is nice and seems to be a favorite among people on this forum, but your commute to school each day will not be fun.

To really give you a better idea, we'd need more information. What demographic do you fit? Are you young and looking for nightlife or are you more interested in wine bars and a quiet Saturday night? Do you need a new apartment, or do you like something older with "character"? Close to uptown, I'm partial to Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth and Dilworth because you can walk to just about everything. I haven't rented in a while, so I'm not sure if a 1 BR in Dilworth will fit your price range. TR Lawing and Henderson properties are popular property management companies in Charlotte. Take a look at their websites to see what availabilities they have.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 AM

I am 24, living with my partner. Not into nightlife, wine bars and quiet saturday nights fit us. We have 2 dogs.

She is getting her masters in nutrition and is 23.

I like newer developments, but can handle "older with character" as long as they are well kept. We have our own washer and dryer, so no need for that (just hook ups).

I was looking at Huntersville? is that hard commute to J&Ws?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,270,313 times
You might check some of the complexes around Johnson and Wales -- 1005 W. Trade, Post Gateway, etc. You can probably get a 1 BD for $1000 and with the money you'll save on a commute, it will even out in your budget.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,708,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
You might check some of the complexes around Johnson and Wales -- 1005 W. Trade, Post Gateway, etc. You can probably get a 1 BD for $1000 and with the money you'll save on a commute, it will even out in your budget.
We lived in Post Gateway for 13 months before we bought Uptown and LOVED it! Very well kept & gated community. Only about 2 blocks from Johnson & Wales.

A 1 bedroom is probably about $900 - 1,000 but you can walk to school, grocery stores, restaurants...etc and Uptown is VERY safe. There is even a Police sub-station in Gateway Village right next door.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:24 AM

wow, thanks so much for the info. I wasn't even considering that the $$ would even out, I wasn't taking into consideration the long commutes to south charlotte and huntersville. I saw 15 miles and was like "hey i could do that" until I saw it takes over an hour to get 15 miles. NOT so interested now.

Post Gateway is NICEEEEEEE...rather pricey and about $500. PER DOG pet fee (we have 2) So we will have to save our money.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM

195 posts, read 481,988 times
Check out places in Dilworth and Elizabeth. Both are just outside of Uptown, so gas prices won't really be an issue. Also both have parks and neighborhood areas to walk the dogs. I think you will really enjoy the people as well. You can find rentals that are rented by owners.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
You could get a 2BR condo on the lake for $850 per month! I'd reconsider Huntersville/Cornelius. Even if you go with a 1BR apartment, it's gonna be one sweet pad. And no, it would not take you 1 hour to get to and fro. It depends on what time your classes are. If you are driving in non-peak hours, 18-20 minutes; peak hours = 30-40 minutes.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Oh okay! Sounds great...wow...a 2 bedroom condo on the lake for $850?!?!? Where are places like that located that I could look at online??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or