U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:22 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,727,522 times

Advertisements

The operator certification exam is not a walk in the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 PM

197 posts, read 667,540 times
I don't know - going by that job posting it's not real reassuring that the person in this position not only operates the plant but also mows the grass and weed eats. I guess we're all just S.O.L - literally - if he's mowing while something goes wrong with the plant.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 PM

This is a typical job listing for a treatment plant operator nationwide. Last I looked, most plants are running just fine...the majority that I've been into, you could eat off the floors and get the feeling that you were on a naval submarine they were run so tight.

Do you think primpy business school grads are going to sit in a building that filters crap all day long???

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,671,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post

This is a typical job listing for a treatment plant operator nationwide. Last I looked, most plants are running just fine...the majority that I've been into, you could eat off the floors and get the feeling that you were on a naval submarine they were run so tight.

Do you think primpy business school grads are going to sit in a building that filters crap all day long???
If they bump the salary up to $80,000, you might have a few takers or if Wachovia goes down the dumper a lot of takers!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 AM

197 posts, read 667,540 times
Quote:

I was just being silly - but then only us primpy business grads probably got that. Do your research and talk to the people that work in these plants, specifically the Waxhaw one (although it's clear by now that you are a developer or employed by one and therefore already know all about this county even though you don't live here ).
The one in Waxhaw does not operate just fine. Over the past few years it has had constant problems with violating state regulations and the county has been fined continually as a result. And it stinks, badly and regularly. Is this the operators fault? No. The operators are just doing the best job they can with what is given to them. But it is a fact so these plants don't all run just fine all of the time or this discussion would not even be occurring right now as no one would have concerns about these plants.

PS - It's the primpy business grads that will or will not be buying those houses in "The Woods" so it might behoove you to know your market a little better. It's never good to bite the hand that feeds you.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,645,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
I was just being silly - but then only us primpy business grads probably got that. Do your research and talk to the people that work in these plants, specifically the Waxhaw one (although it's clear by now that you are a developer or employed by one and therefore already know all about this county even though you don't live here ).
The one in Waxhaw does not operate just fine. Over the past few years it has had constant problems with violating state regulations and the county has been fined continually as a result. And it stinks, badly and regularly. Is this the operators fault? No. The operators are just doing the best job they can with what is given to them. But it is a fact so these plants don't all run just fine all of the time or this discussion would not even be occurring right now as no one would have concerns about these plants.

PS - It's the primpy business grads that will or will not be buying those houses in "The Woods" so it might behoove you to know your market a little better. It's never good to bite the hand that feeds you.
You know, that's a good point. I forgot about the one in Waxhaw that stinks.

Again, I have no dog in this fight but I'm interested in the issue....

Are these two systems similar in operation? Are they totally different?

Is there a reason why the one in Waxhaw smells bad all the time?

It would be good (interesting) to hear the truth from both sides and stick to the point w/o rants.......

Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 AM

822 posts, read 2,541,194 times
I don't have a horse in this race, just find it to be an interesting topic.

This letter to the editor (link below) is arguing that the developer's numbers for likely 40,000 of daily usage don't provide enough water for landscaping so, this letter argues, a lot more water will be used from wells. They also argue that the required depth of the 8 acre overflow pond can't be maintained because, I think, the treatment plant can't process over 5 million gallons a month? Help me understand that point. Where does the overflow water come from for this 8 acre pond? Does this leave the community with no choice but to use well water to irrigate itself. I thought this letter was interesting and am interested to hear if these numbers are accurate. Anyone have any input?

Letters to the Editor | | www.charlotteobserver.com

Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
...although it's clear by now that you are a developer or employed by one and therefore already know all about this county even though you don't live here...
Way wrong buddy...couldn't be further from the truth. Just someone in the know trying to remove the wool from others eye's. Personally, I couldn't care any less about what a million dollar home neighborhood does with it's crap. No I don't live in this specific area, but I do live and work in the same region...that entitles me to have a say in things that could impact my drinking water supply. To see a herd of folks shepherded one way or the other just because someone with a loud voice doesn't like "stinky water" is asinine.

I know even business majors have to take some math in school...so as long as they stayed awake or didn't skip out to the beach during those classes, they'd be able to recognize a finite resource. Once it's gone, it's gone. No credit to borrow on, no one to loan some more, no printing presses to print more.

If your county's treatment plant operates in such a manner, complain to your elected officials. With so many well-to-do millionaires down there, it can't be as backwoods and redneck as some would like to make the utilities department out to be.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 PM

373 posts, read 1,330,224 times
Quote:
it can't be as backwoods and redneck as some would like to make the utilities department out to be.
Actually, I can speak to this directly. Some of you may know from another thread the difficulties we have been having with our septic. I realize my septic system is not the same scale as a neighborhood wastewater treament plant but the hazards are the same, just on a larger scale and the department that regulates both is the same department. And you are wrong about how backwards things can be.

We notified the county in May that we had (and still have) standing sewage and mold (which we just found out is aspergillus and penicillium) and that the sewage is spilling into a public stream.

Several months later - we had to asked for this department to issue a notice of violation.

It has come to light that perhaps everything didn't happen exactly as it should to install the system in the first place (by the builder and the county) and we have spent thousands trying to figure out if it can be fixed.

Our violation has now expired. So were are now in violation of the violation. We have repeatedly asked that they revoke our operation permit and issue and pump & haul permit so that we are not contaminating the public stream, or and did I mention we are adjacent to a Conservation Area which is also receiving our sewage.

Union County has completely ignored our request. And we must have their permission to turn the system off. We have pointed out that it hurts no one to turn the system off (expect our wallets to pay for the pump and haul) but it could potentially hurt many to leave it on. We live in a wooded area and have video of all kinds of creatures (squirrel, deer, hawks) sitting in the sewage eating. This can't be good

For months we have been asking them about the white film growing all around our field, as members of our family have been very ill. They kept saying, "Don't know what it is, never seen it before, but I'm sure its fine."

Take a look - so not just fine
Mold-Help.org: Aspergillusthe most comprehensive information MOLDREMOVAL.COM (http://www.moldremoval.com/mycotoxins.htm - broken link)

So all we have asked is that they let us shut the system down for our health and safety and that of the community and they will not. They would rather continue to contaminate the environment. Take a look at the treatment plant violations and fines in our area alone.

When we began inquiring as to how our system got permitted to begin with you should have seen the dog and pony show.

We have neighbors that have had similar issues and they were told by a Union County Health Department employee that the Union County Health Department Wastewater Division was just too busy to look at everything.

You build the infrastructure first or you will have major problems, problems like we are seeing now.

Has there been a resolution to the following?

http://www.rebic.com/library/Union/2...FBI%20asks.PDF

My point is, can't we get through one crisis before we start another one. What is it going to hurt to wait?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM

81 posts, read 158,900 times
If this sewer will stink and is a hazard, who would buy a million dollar house right by it? Will someone actually pay up to $3 million for a house in an area that stinks?

If so, I will pass gas every day at my house for anyone willing to give me $3 million for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte