U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Its a lot harder to do at night...
You are just being nice, Barking. We all know I am pretty goofy sometimes. I could not even find the dern phone book (cause frankly, I never use it!!! I look up everything online!!!)

I did find my little B&W TV set, and the batteries worked!!!! YEA!!!! So that is how I knew there were other people out of power this morning . . .

Which reminds me . .. what is going to happen when we switch to digital TV from analog? I have this little TV that has helped me so many times when the power is off . . . what is going to happen when we switch to all digital and the power goes off? Even w/ a generator, I won't be able to pick up anything on this little TV, will I? Thank you Federal Government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are just being nice, Barking. We all know I am pretty goofy sometimes. I could not even find the dern phone book (cause frankly, I never use it!!! I look up everything online!!!)

I did find my little B&W TV set, and the batteries worked!!!! YEA!!!! So that is how I knew there were other people out of power this morning . . .

Which reminds me . .. what is going to happen when we switch to digital TV from analog? I have this little TV that has helped me so many times when the power is off . . . what is going to happen when we switch to all digital and the power goes off? Even w/ a generator, I won't be able to pick up anything on this little TV, will I? Thank you Federal Government.
That''s a whole different thread, Ani. I've know about it for at least 20 years.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
Charlotte Observer | 06/12/2008 | Storms knock out power to thousands (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/665070.html - broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That''s a whole different thread, Ani. I've know about it for at least 20 years.
Well, I still don't understand it, SB. I knew it was coming several years back, but I still dont get why we are switching everything from analog. Yes, digital is a better picture, but my, my . . . all this dependence on computer chips. Sometimes it concerns me that every facet of my life is so dependent on electricity. I am a writer and started out on an old Smith-Corona manual typewriter! I thought that was the stuff when my parents gave me their old typewriter at 8!!!! I was typing over 60 wpm by the time I was in the 8th grade. TRUE!!! And on an old manual! Now I think - dear me - when the power is out, I can't even type a manuscript . . . I have to handwrite things out . . . And even if I did have a typewriter, what good is that. You can hardly find a typewriter ribbon anymore . . . you know what I mean? And my wonderful Nikon cameras - all dinosaurs now. Sure, I could set up my own dark room . . . but why? Yet, switching from SLR to Digital SLR . . . no way to "print that image" unless one has electricity and a printer . . . just seems we are limiting ourselves by all this dependence on computer chips and electricity. (Do I sound like an old poop???)

I feel like the federal govenment imposed obsolescence on us w/ this legislated move from analog to digital . . . I am just not so sure it is really progress if everything we do depends on silicon chips, electricity, routers, computers, etc. Sure, my life is sooooo much more convenient and yes, productive!!!!! But how dependent we are on "the grid."

Well. Nothing we can do about it but embrace the changes. I guess.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-12-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Charlotte Observer | 06/12/2008 | Storms knock out power to thousands (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/665070.html - broken link)
I had not even thought about looking for articles about the outage, Hee Hee. (See - I am pretty goofy!!!!) Thank you for the link. I see I was definitely not the only one who was w/o power - just one of the last to get it restored!!!! The Duke Power guys have told me (in the past) that I am in a vulnerable area and that they are upgrading the grid in this area. Not sure what that means. I guess some new wires, hee hee. New switching stations? (Maybe that is just for telephony) Anyway, they are doing something here to try to upgrade/improve, and I guess it just takes a while . . .

And now that I think about it, they switched out my meter, and then billed me a bizillion dollars more than they should have . . . so this process has NOT been smooth - with me and Duke Power, LOL!!!!!!

I better not say anything. KNOCK ON WOOD. If I diss Duke Power, knowing my luck, the universe will see that more stuff goes wrong . . . better be quiet, I guess . . . and just be thankful my A/C has cooled this place down.

I mean it - Air conditioning is my favorite invention (today, anyway!!!!!)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I still don't understand it, SB. I knew it was coming several years back, but I still dont get why we are switching everything from analog. Yes, digital is a better picture, but my, my . . . all this dependence on computer chips. Sometimes it concerns me that every facet of my life is so dependent on electricity. I am a writer and started out on an old Smith-Corona manual typewriter! I thought that was the stuff when my parents gave me their old typewriter at 8!!!! I was typing over 60 wpm by the time I was in the 8th grade. TRUE!!! And on an old manual! Now I think - dear me - when the power is out, I can't even type a manuscript . . . I have to handwrite things out . . . And even if I did have a typewriter, what good is that. You can hardly find a typewriter ribbon anymore . . . you know what I mean? And my wonderful Nikon cameras - all dinosaurs now. Sure, I could set up my own dark room . . . but why? Yet, switching from SLR to Digital SLR . . . no way to "print that image" unless one has electricity and a printer . . . just seems we are limiting ourselves by all this dependence on computer chips and electricity. (Do I sound like an old poop???)

I feel like the federal govenment imposed obsolescence on us w/ this legislated move from analog to digital . . . I am just not so sure it is really progress if everything we do depends on silicon chips, electricity, routers, computers, etc. Sure, my life is sooooo much more convenient and yes, productive!!!!! But how dependent we are on "the grid."

Well. Nothing we can do about it but embrace the changes. I guess.
Ani, I'll direct message you about it, maybe tonight, but it will get ugly if I tell you on here. People will not take it right, & I know it, & I don''t want my words twisted.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I'll direct message you about it, maybe tonight, but it will get ugly if I tell you on here. People will not take it right, & I know it, & I don''t want my words twisted.
Well then DM me when you get the chance and let's hope my power is still on, Hee Hee Hee, so I can read it!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM

329 posts, read 1,124,320 times
Great to hear that your power is back on. Regarding your freezer, if food is damaged/ruined due to a power outage, it is usually covered under most Home Owner's policies up to a certain amount at least that was true for the company I worked for in Kansas. I used to be licensed in Property & Casualty.

Just FYI for future reference. I like to keep a happy fridge and freezer too

Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
Great to hear that your power is back on. Regarding your freezer, if food is damaged/ruined due to a power outage, it is usually covered under most Home Owner's policies up to a certain amount at least that was true for the company I worked for in Kansas. I used to be licensed in Property & Casualty.

Just FYI for future reference. I like to keep a happy fridge and freezer too
Hey there, KCChick!!! What a nite and day. It was hot in this house all nite but it did cool off. Never did get below 78 d downstairs, but hey - better than 90, you know???? Thanx for the info! I shudder to think about a mess w/ my freezer- I have been thru that b/f and not only is it sad to lose all that food, it is a mess to clean up.

In 2002, we left right after Thanksgiving to a meeting out of town, and when we got home, the power had been off for 4 days . . . was off another day . . . so after 5 days . . . we suddenly remembered the freezer (we had just moved here and stocked it up) . .. and well . . . what a nasty mess that was.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
Don't feel too bad. The ac in my apt broke on Friday night and just finally got replaced yesterday. Can you say MELTING???? The management company brought in a portable ac but it only cooled one room. Plus it leaked all over the new carpet so it smells real nice in there now. I told the BF to ask for compensation for the 5 days of no ac in 98 degree temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte