U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
My coworker is from Long Island is always says "not for nothin'". I have asked him several times just what the hell that is supposed to mean. Drives me up a wall.
Yeah, I was born and raised LI...

It's embedded into our vocabulary for when we say something that could possibly be construed as a dig or veiled insult. It's like saying "I don't mean to insult anyone" - BUT.

There's always going to be a BUT associated with a "not for nuthin'".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM

21,878 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Growing up in Michigan, the older people would us Bless your/his/her heart, in the good way.

In Philadelphia & South Jersey, the way to politely hand out an insult is So. . .(insert comment), that's a shame. For instance when the neighborhood know-it-all come to lodge a complaint, the response could be, So. . . you don't like the color that I painted the house?. .. .That's a shame. That is said instead of telling them to go eat dirt.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,567 times
It's used in different contexts because it's seems to be perceived as more "polite" to say BYH,than to say what they're really thinking about someone.

Also takes less time, thought and articulation.

Bit of a cop out really, but may avoid any confrontation if the person on the receiving end isn't sure of the context.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,233,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof2many View Post
The real low down is that you can say anything about anyone as long as you say bless your heart after it your ok. For instance you can say my neighbor is going through some tough times and cheating on her husband bless her heart Note the dig and then the cover with bless her heart. It's a way to say something about someone and at the same time time cya because you said bless at the end
This is the same premise that Ricky Bobby uses by prefacing his thoughts by saying, “With all due respect…” Anything you say after using this opening line is conveyed with the utmost sincerity of concern and empathy.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM

451 posts, read 1,385,219 times
When I am around someone that is bragging and I don't particularly like, and they don't notice the eyes rolling, I usually say, how niiice. Drag the letter i out for a long time in the word nice. They usually don't notice it as an insult and it is my inside joke.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,403,607 times
Wow, I never had an idea that "bless your heart" could mean so much, as evidenced by the replies here. Twenty-seven years ago when I moved to the south, I learned that it meant, "You are dumb as a rock if you can't figure out how you got into that situation," or something like that. I do believe it means anything the speaker wants it to, though.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
A true Southern gentleman or lady will use it out of sincerity.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This is the same premise that Ricky Bobby uses by prefacing his thoughts by saying, “With all due respect…” Anything you say after using this opening line is conveyed with the utmost sincerity of concern and empathy.
Now I find it quite amusing when people refer to race or ethnicity in a negative way,and then say -"not that I'm racist of course"...

Our neighbors have a great saying-"we're just trying to be good neighbors"-used when (for eg) we spoke to them when they buried sprinkler heads in our lake access lot without asking us and set them to come on at 5pm each day meaning we couldn't get down to our lakeside patio or dock without getting soaked.Bless their hearts.

I would like to thing that BYH would be used in a sincere way, a bit like we would say God bless or bless you.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 PM

111 posts, read 281,035 times
Interesting post...I've NEVER heard "bless your heart" up north (I lived in Pittsburgh, Philly, and a tiny stint in Plainsboro NJ)...and I've ONLY heard it here (Raleigh/Cary) in the sweetest, most sincere situations. e.g. blood-shot eyed checking into the emergency room at 1AM..."how old is your daughter"..."2"..."bless your heart". It has always meant something like, "wow, I'm very sorry, I feel for you, you keep in there" sort of thing. And I believe I generally heard it from older southerners. I remember in the hospital situation it really made me feel nice the way it was said- very sincere. I can't imagine hearing it being said any other way...and I hope I never do!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 AM

76 posts, read 123,598 times
There you go hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or