Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 17,759 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband could be offered a job promotion within the next couple of weeks in Charlotte. We currently live in the DC/Baltimore area. We are very excited about moving to the Charlotte area, however we are trying to learn as much as possible before we get there.. Could you all offer some help as to which areas to live in that would fit our criteria the best? We are going to be coming down to Charlotte for a visit in July to get a better idea of the area. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

What are some good suburbs in Charlotte for us to consider?

-Single family home (price range is $400-$600)
-Golf course community is where we live in now and would love that sort of community feeling.
-Excellent Schools-This is the top of our list as we have two little girls.
-Neighborhood, community feel with families and kids.
-Commute is not as issue as he will be working from a home office.

THANKS AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:13 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,170 times
We just went through the whole search process and for a variety of reasons ended up (very happily) in Birkdale, on the golf course (public golf course) near Lake Norman.

- 400k-600k is the sweet spot here. Most of the nicest homes are in that price range, but there are a few listed over $600k

- Tons of kids and happy families around, so I think the schools are good, but our kids are out so I didn't research the schools

- Did I mention tons of kids? Went to the pool yesterday and there was a good crowd. Lifeguards called an "adult swim".... and it was just me!

- I have to ask: Why relocate to another state if you work out of a home office?

One additional feature that was very important to us. There is all kinds of shopping very nearby including the Birkdale Village area that is in walking distance.

And one more thing (there is always one more thing), be sure to do your "due diligence." I was just reading in a local Huntersville paper about people complaining about odors coming from a farm that produces compost. Well, the farm was there long before the houses were built right next to it. I looked at the aerial googlemap view of our neighborhood and was concerned about some large tanks I saw nearby. It is a water treatment facility (drinking water).

Old 06-14-2008, 07:25 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,489 times
The farm is wallace farm. If you Google here you will find it. In your price range you have a good amount of options. Other than Birkdale as stated above you can look at NorthCross, Maybe The Pennisula (do you want to have golf in your back yard) River Run, Highland Creek (Near Wallace Farm) SkyBrook (Near Wallace Farm).

Then there is Raintree,Olde Sycamore, Piper Glenn,Emerald Lake,......

I guess it really depends on what side of town you like.....

Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 AM

11 posts, read 25,113 times
You are in a price range that will allow you many options. My recommedation is to try to identify what part of Charlotte you prefer. Birdale is North Charlotte. South Charlotte offers some wonderful areas and very good schools.
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-16-2008 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 17,759 times
Thank you so much for all your suggestions and comments! It is very helpful to hear information from people that are already living there now!

I have researched both north and south areas and have seen many great things about both areas. Its going to be a tough to narrow it down! What about Balleytine ? (sorry if I spelled it wrong). We have heard great things about that area as well.

XcapefromNJ--My husband would be a regional manager and the territory is down south. Although he would work out of our home, he will need to travel to about 5 southern areas each month.

Thanks again and please keep the info coming Its more than helpful!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,489 times
Well let us know as question come up. I recommend driving all areas and seeing what feels best for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte