U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,955,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Morning y'all and Happy Father's Day to dads! We got back yesterday after brutal heat at Virginia Beach! My knockout roses made it, the tomatoes are about to walk out of the planters but the fruits are still green. The basil, sage, peppers and chamomile were doing fine but the oregano was just shrivelled up. The blanket flowers, salvia and petunias survived the heat, but I came back to a big patch of brown on my lawn. My neighbor's lawn had patches of brown like an alien ship landed on it. The community landscaper thinks we have a bug infestation, to the chagrin of my husband. I mean, we just put Scotts Turfbuilder before we left a week ago, and sprayed the roses to death since those beetles are eating them up! Jeez! Lawn and yard maintenance has never been this intense before up north...we could own stock and have our own nursery supply in the garage before we know it. I know that beyond fertilizing and degrubbing, I ain't spending on landscaping like I had planned. It's not the height of summer yet and all those cicada killer eggs that those nasty insects laid under the ground could be hatching anytime soon! I'm glad that I have a dog that hates anything that buzzes around and flies in the air. He's been known to catch flies with his mouth, much like Mr. Miyako of Karate Kid fame being able to snag a fly with chopsticks! Oh well, I'm home...welcome to Charlotte!
Hey, Bibit! Missed you while you were gone and glad to know you are back home.

Did you ask your neighbor if an alien space ship landed in the yard? You never know!!!!!

I think you are wise for putting off any major landscaping, if it means planting stuff - whether foundation plants or trees. This drought it not conducive to plant health, and the heat has been brutal. The Lucifer bulbs my cousin sent (and wh/ were planted w/in hours of receiving them) are suffering despite my hand watering . . . and I am very concerned about the Althea that my dad had rooted for me - and wh/ I had to get in the ground. It is just not a good time to do anything major w/ landscaping, IMO, unless it is hardscape. Now is the time to put in the koi pond, build the pergola or lay the patio. Anyway, that is how I see it. I think we will all be struggling to keep the stuff alive that we already have in the ground . . . so putting more stuff in . . . I dunno.

Anyway, don't get too discouraged w/ the beetles . . . keep using your powder . . . and if the blooms get too ragged w/ bugs chomping on them, just cut them back and wait for the bug infestation to pass (it does, eventually).

It is gonna be a very interesting summer for us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 AM

737 posts, read 1,870,705 times
Here are a few pics of our gardenias and roses.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 AM

Mikealialex: The pix are not showing up for me!!!! And I so wanted to see them!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 PM

I see them, I am not sure why you cant. Maybe I did something wrong?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 PM

21,828 posts, read 27,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I see them, I am not sure why you cant. Maybe I did something wrong?
I don't see them either.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 AM

I dont get it, but here are links instead??
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1213789557
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1213789594
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1213789627
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2008, 06:31 AM

Now there are images as well as links, so whatever you did . . . it works!!!! And wow, your gardenias are gorgeous!!!!! Do you know what the name of the rose is? They are so well formed and that color -amazing . . . thank you so much for sharing them w/ us!!!!

I gotta ask - did you do anything special w/ the gardenias? They are perfect . . .

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 AM

Thanks, we just moved in a month ago, so I cant take any credit other than plant food and watering. Same with the roses. The gardenias we had back in SoFla were different, more tightly formed and even smelled different. If the leaves didnt look the same I would swear these were a different species entirely! When we moved in we had Iris and Daffodils too, but the heat took them!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 AM

716 posts, read 1,904,193 times
Our lawn is a disaster area right now, but there's not much we can do to it without water, so we've been focusing on other things...

here's our teeny tiny pond, which needs a little rockscaping, but I don't know where to buy just a few flagstones. You can't see it, but I have two fantail goldfish in there. (That's my massive potted strawberry plant on the lower right too.)

You've already seen the very cool luna moth we had. We also have some anoles that have yet to appear when I have my camera handy, but I will catch them one day.

We have a green tree frog that likes to hang out in the evenings by our garage lights:

These roses came straight off my rose bushes, which have just been blooming like crazy:

And here are some beautiful flowers that have just magically appeared on this very non-descript bush which I have not yet identified:

Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 AM

ULTRA!!!! Your hard work has paid off! We are pretty much ignoring the lawn, too, and moving on to other things.

My roses have completely stopped blooming (the yellow ones I took the pictures of). I have only 3 buds on two plants!!!! My other roses are scrappy and have only a few buds on them, too. I have no clue why this has happened as I have done nothing differently this year . . . I guess too much heat where they are located . . .???? But your roses are gorgeous!!!!!

The last picture is of an Althea, or commonly called - "Rose of Sharon." You will want to give it a deep watering at least once a week if we are not getting rain. They are part of the hibiscus family and an "old fashioned" plant that my g/mothers always had in their yards. My dear daddy rooted me some off his mother's original plants (wh/ he had transplanted) and so I set them out this Spring, but they are struggling . . . I am having to hand water them every few days, but they are looking stressed. So I am very happy to see your Althea and how healthy it looks!!!!

Your pond is really nice. We have the liner for a pond (we got it on sale - end of season last year). However, we have not figured out where to place it! Yours looks so nice!!!

PS - I feel very sure that is an Althea, but they are typically not bushes here . . . they are trees, but if pruned to be a bush, then I think they will shape into one. If someone else knows more - or if I have identified it incorrectly - I hope someone will correct me!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 06-18-2008 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Edit to add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte