Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLemur View Post
I went to a few places near the NC/SC border, but they seemed pretty expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go and not pay tourist prices?
lemur, I'm assuming that you've been in the habit of making the run to northern VA for cheap fireworks. Check out AmericanRoadGirl's suggestion for now, but in the future if you make the run up, or have someone come down, get your fireworks that way.

Considering that we're in drought more often than not, here, I'm sure that you know the right precautions.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-15-2008 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 04:55 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
Quote:
Nothing I asked to do was illegal. Your comparison is a bit over the top.
How is it over the top? Marijuana has been effectively decriminalized.

Do you seriously expect us to believe that you only plan to buy sparklers, roman candles and the like?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 AM

125 posts, read 499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post

Do you seriously expect us to believe that you only plan to buy sparklers, roman candles and the like?
I don't really care what you expect me to buy. Your opinion is meaningless to me.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Marijuana has been effectively decriminalized.
Joking right? The drug war (especially on pot) is one of the biggest government boondoggles of our time.

Lemur, we're in a drought, be careful, and enjoy yourself.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
If you go further in across the border to the trailer type stores you can barter with the guys on the price. Either way it is still expensive IMO.

Have fun!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
Quote:

As others have already stated, All Fireworks are not illegal in NC or SC, so the comparison to "weed" isn't effective. SC has very limited laws and I believe the original poster is in SC. I would think a better comparisona would be to alcohal, its legal for adults, should be used appropriatly and know when do say when. Oh and I guess never drink and sparkle!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I would think a better comparisona would be to alcohal, its legal for adults, should be used appropriatly and know when do say when. Oh and I guess never drink and sparkle!
LOL, good line.

I don't understand the aggressive remarks that some people have made to a simple, civil question. Lemur's coming from South Jersey where it''s common place to go to northern VA & buy cheap fiireworks. It's so commonplace that on the Philly newscasts they show safety tips for personal safety as well as safety during drought.

When a friend lived in Georgia I would get sparklers & fountains for her kids in northern VA. It was much cheaper than points further south.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 AM

125 posts, read 499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, good line.

I don't understand the aggressive remarks that some people have made to a simple, civil question. Lemur's coming from South Jersey where it''s common place to go to northern VA & buy cheap fiireworks. It's so commonplace that on the Philly newscasts they show safety tips for personal safety as well as safety during drought.

When a friend lived in Georgia I would get sparklers & fountains for her kids in northern VA. It was much cheaper than points further south.
I used to pick them up in SC because I never knew that you could get good ones in VA. Most recently I went to a wholesale location in Maryland that only sold at a $200 minimum, but was close to NJ and far far cheaper then anywhere else. (about $5 for a small repeater box, whereas the store I went to last week charged $25!)

Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I used to pick them up in SC because I never knew that you could get good ones in VA. Most recently I went to a wholesale location in Maryland that only sold at a $200 minimum, but was close to NJ and far far cheaper then anywhere else. (about $5 for a small repeater box, whereas the store I went to last week charged $25!)
Lemur, go with what you can get at present. AmericanRoadGirl gave a couple of suggestions.

When my friend moved home to GA, she married a fireman who helped with the local fireworks displays. He had prices from places in the Carolinas. They asked me to pick up fireworks-sparklers & fountains- if I found them cheaper. Cheaper is the dumpy little places, just across the border in VA. Frequently, there's no name on the store, just hand-lettered signs saying "Cheap cigs & Fireworks".

Those are the places that people around here normally go to.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 AM

280 posts, read 948,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Lemur, go with what you can get at present. AmericanRoadGirl gave a couple of suggestions.

When my friend moved home to GA, she married a fireman who helped with the local fireworks displays. He had prices from places in the Carolinas. They asked me to pick up fireworks-sparklers & fountains- if I found them cheaper. Cheaper is the dumpy little places, just across the border in VA. Frequently, there's no name on the store, just hand-lettered signs saying "Cheap cigs & Fireworks".

Those are the places that people around here normally go to.
Everyone seems to be saying that fireworks are legal in VA but I am confused.... I went to school in VA and I spent much of my young life in VA and I was always under the impression that they were illegal there. I have always known that they were legal in SC. Someone enlighten me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte