U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 AM

21,822 posts, read 27,073,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
Everyone seems to be saying that fireworks are legal in VA but I am confused.... I went to school in VA and I spent much of my young life in VA and I was always under the impression that they were illegal there. I have always known that they were legal in SC. Someone enlighten me.
I don't know if it's legal to use them in VA, but I have bought them there.

I could tell you some funny stuff about getting fireworks but it would be too far afield. I'm trying to answer the "cheap" part of Lemur's question.

It's been awhile, but I remember paying a fraction of the Carolina prices on the list that I was sent.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM

280 posts, read 857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't know if it's legal to use them in VA, but I have bought them there.

I could tell you some funny stuff about getting fireworks but it would be too far afield. I'm trying to answer the "cheap" part of Lemur's question.

It's been awhile, but I remember paying a fraction of the Carolina prices on the list that I was sent.
Perhaps a fireworks ban of some kind is new, but I have never seen a fireworks store in Virginia. I spent much of my childhood in Fancy Gap, VA which is right on the NC VA border in the mountains, and driving down the various highways that go across the state line, there were plenty of Lotto stores and advertisements just over the border (before NC had a lotto), but never fireworks. Perhaps you have to have a permit?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Perhaps a fireworks ban of some kind is new, but I have never seen a fireworks store in Virginia. I spent much of my childhood in Fancy Gap, VA which is right on the NC VA border in the mountains, and driving down the various highways that go across the state line, there were plenty of Lotto stores and advertisements just over the border (before NC had a lotto), but never fireworks. Perhaps you have to have a permit?
These places are in northern VA, near Harriisonburg, & in the vicinity of Harper's Ferry, but on the VA side of the border. I haven't been in years, but have neighbors who go every year.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
These places are in northern VA, near Harriisonburg, & in the vicinity of Harper's Ferry, but on the VA side of the border. I haven't been in years, but have neighbors who go every year.
That is interesting, I am definitely going to look into that.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I can''t explain it, but it''s the worst kept secret around here. It''s discussed in reports on the Philly newscasts.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It might be a county thing. Retail Sale & Use of Permissible Fireworks (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/prevention/fireworks/fwretail.htm - broken link)

Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,299,507 times
Quote:

I lived in Mecklenburg County, VA- 2 exits up on I85, and ground type fireworks were not only legal, but sold at Walmart. I dont recall ever seeing any big places or roadside stands though. I think some city governments banned them, throughout VA.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I lived in Mecklenburg County, VA- 2 exits up on I85, and ground type fireworks were not only legal, but sold at Walmart. I dont recall ever seeing any big places or roadside stands though. I think some city governments banned them, throughout VA.
Ahh, that may be the case then. I am going to ask some of my friends from VT that live in and around VA and see what their perception of the law is. And, next time I am at Wal Mart, I am going to have to check for them!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:06 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,413,268 times
You can buy pre-packaged fireworks at the grocery stores here & at Costco. The ones I saw had fountains & mortars in them.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 PM

124 posts, read 398,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
You can buy pre-packaged fireworks at the grocery stores here & at Costco. The ones I saw had fountains & mortars in them.
Yeah, I was going to ask, but for fear of asking a stupid question...

If fireworks are illegal, what's the packaged stuff I've been seeing at Target, Harris Teeter, Wal Mart, etc etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte