Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 07:01 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

On Father's Day, when we lived in Parker, Colorado and went to two local Reserviors (Chatfield and Cherry Creek), there was a line of power boats and waverunners going from the Boat Ramps/Parking Lots all the way back to the Entrance to the Reserviors waiting to get on the water. There was an 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour wait to lauch a boat! This was at noon and we didn't have our boat (Thank God). We just wanted to see how full the parking lots would be....they were FULL with a waiting line!
Went over to Blyth Landing and Ramsey Park yesterday a little after noon and not even a quarter of the parking lots had trailers in them. WHAT!! Not many men/families take their boats out on the water on Father's Day????
To say the least, we were shocked and amazed because of the difference between this large/nice lake and the small/nice ones we went to in Colorado.
Colorado Father's Day (at noon): Boat Launch Parking Lots were FULL with a long "waiting" line to launch.
Lake Norman Father's Day (little after noon): Boat Launch Parking Lots were only 1/4 full with no "waiting" line whatsoever!
Ok, you Lake Norman boaters out there in this Forum......PLEASE explain!!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 AM

307 posts, read 715,470 times
I am not sure about father's day but we rented a boat and went out last weekend for the first time and the lake was pretty crowded. I wouldn't say so crowded to cause problems but definitely plenty of boats out there.

Maybe because LKN is so big and there are so many places to launch they don't all get that packed.

When we pulled up to the rudder last week to get gas we had to wait though to pull in and we had to wait to park and go in the restaurant.

Also, gas is so expensive, maybe it's holding people back? I am not sure.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
I'm not sure I get it. Do you want the lake to be packed and crowded? For me last year we sold our boat as the water was down and they closed the ramps etc it just was not something we wanted/needed anymore. Plus we never used it. Be glad the lake is not crowded its coming trust me.....

Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Well, for as many boats as we have seen in Dry Storage buildings, tied up at Slips in Marina's, tied up at private Docks in front of homes by the lake.....we just thought we would see many, many more boats out on this lake. We don't have a boat currently, but wanted to see/compare this area on Father's Day to what we seen in Colorado on Father's Day. If we had a boat right now, the cost of gas would NOT stop us from having fun on the water. As far as "using" our boat, in Colorado we had our boat on one of the Reserviors there almost every weekend on either Saturday or Sunday (sometimes both). And, we are 60 years old! We love being on the water and boating/fishing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I'm not sure I get it. Do you want the lake to be packed and crowded? For me last year we sold our boat as the water was down and they closed the ramps etc it just was not something we wanted/needed anymore. Plus we never used it. Be glad the lake is not crowded its coming trust me.....

Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
We live near the Delaware River and usually there are a lot more boats on it then there have been lately. I wonder if people are staying away because of the gas prices.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
Well being in Real Estate my weekends are typically eaten up showing houses if not then we are doing something with the kids or family. Everyone that moved here and misses there families sometimes I wish I could trade with you. For the last 2 months each weekend we have had a birthday party,mother's day, father's day etc etc going on. I want a weekend with NO plans....

When they used to do the big tie up that was a crowded lake day. Man talk about choppy and crowded.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, for as many boats as we have seen in Dry Storage buildings, tied up at Slips in Marina's, tied up at private Docks in front of homes by the lake.....we just thought we would see many, many more boats out on this lake. We don't have a boat currently, but wanted to see/compare this area on Father's Day to what we seen in Colorado on Father's Day. If we had a boat right now, the cost of gas would NOT stop us from having fun on the water. As far as "using" our boat, in Colorado we had our boat on one of the Reserviors there almost every weekend on either Saturday or Sunday (sometimes both). And, we are 60 years old! We love being on the water and boating/fishing!!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:18 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
I have a few friends with boats and many are cutting back. With all prices going up, the luxary expenses are going down.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
LB, a lot of us grew up on a lake and have been avid boaters and fishermen since we were kids. What seems crowded to us is probably light use to newcomers, Hee Hee. I quickly learned after moving to the midwest and dealing w/ Lake of the Ozarks what other people consider "crowded." I completely lost any desire to get out on the lake if it meant dealing w/ what to us amounted to an aqua circus.

We decided to just stick to our local small lake w/ a sailboat at that point. We were looking forward to coming back to NC and getting another speedboat (skiing). . . but we were somewhat dismayed at how crowded LKN had become, even tho it was not quite as bad as Lake of the Ozarks. Then, w/ the lake level down last year, many of us put off buying that boat yet a while longer.

I am sure the gas cost HAS meant less time on the lake for many boaters, cause I have talked to some of them. We are still considering that boat purchase . . . but we will carefully consider where we are going to be docking/launching . . . as we are not interested in fighting a bizillion boats and skiers, especially. We will NOT be getting another Donzi . . . our speedboat days are OVER. We will be gearing our lake experience more towards quiet coves and fishing . . . so maybe a pontoon is more our style at this point, Hee Hee.

I think what you may consider crowded and what I may consider crowded are two different things. We may just opt for docking our boat up somewhere in the mountains . . . where we can be more assured of a quieter day on a lake. Who knows? We are watching the situation and weighing out our options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte