U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 AM

267 posts, read 604,373 times
Default Child Abduction Alert

This was weird... my friend just told me that a "Child Abduction Alert" came on her TV like a Severe Weather Alert would...

I think it's related to this - Amber Alert: Man Suspected Of Abducting Child May Be Passing Through Charlotte - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/16618713/detail.html - broken link)

Has anybody heard of such an alert? Very strange.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 AM

43,278 posts, read 51,772,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
This was weird... my friend just told me that a "Child Abduction Alert" came on her TV like a Severe Weather Alert would...

I think it's related to this - Amber Alert: Man Suspected Of Abducting Child May Be Passing Through Charlotte - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/16618713/detail.html - broken link)

Has anybody heard of such an alert? Very strange.
Not strange at all. You must not have watched much tv in the last year? This has been common whenever a child is missing in the NC/SC area.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not strange at all. You must not have watched much tv in the last year? This has been common whenever a child is missing in the NC/SC area.
I have been going to school at Virginia Tech, so that might explain it. Also, I typically record everything on the DVR before I watch it so I can skip through such things... oops haha

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM

115 posts, read 252,588 times
Between Marcus Vick and the tragedy last year I would think you are extremely familiar with this kind of alert...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Between Marcus Vick and the tragedy last year I would think you are extremely familiar with this kind of alert...
There were no child abductions involved in either of those cases.

Marcus Vick did not commit any significant crimes within this area (He mostly caused trouble in the tidewater area), and was never considered dangerous enough to issue a state-wide alert.

I can't stand the man, and I wish he had never been associated with such a great school, but I don't really see the connection. I mean, what did he do? Speeding ticket, marijuana, statutory rape, giving alcohol to minors, pulling a gun at a mcdonalds, and most recently a DUI (along with numerous unsportsmanlike activities during games). Most of that sounds like stuff that happens all the time and would not be featured in a state-wide alert....

As far as the shooting goes, yes I agree that would constitute a state-wide alert... but that is also much different than a child abduction.

Oh well. Just my opinion.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM

34,510 posts, read 40,003,623 times
Yes, the weather alert radio also signals for child abductions. I did receive the child abduction alert earlier this morning.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM

677 posts, read 1,438,223 times
My mom made me watch a movie about the origins of the Amber Alert on Lifetime once...

Thats how I know about it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
My mom made me watch a movie about the origins of the Amber Alert on Lifetime once...

Thats how I know about it.
haha Lifetime would produce such a movie. That's great.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,068,826 times
I'm guessing this guy no longer looks anything like this. A haircut and shave will change his look completely and we really can't see his eyes. I've forwarded this on to my friends in Md. and Va. anyway. This stuff makes me sick to my stomach!!!! Father or not, this guy should rot in hell.

Last edited by Doorway; 06-16-2008 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: sp.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM

115 posts, read 252,588 times
My post was about crawling alerts on television screens.... some of which have had to do with your alma mater. Not about child abduction, or a deranged maniac shooting up a school, or a tornado warning, or a warning of impending nuclear attack, famine, pestulance....

The scrawling message on the screen. It was a general comment.

Apparently at VT they don't teach you to think outside the box like they do at, oh, I don't know, say, Ohio State.... LOL!!!

O-H !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte