U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 12,750 times
Default Best Place to Watch Sunset?

Can anybody recommend a good place to watch a sunset in the Charlotte area? I'm looking for a mountain where we could have a picnic dinner. I'm thinking it should be under 90 miles from uptown Charlotte, so that it can just be a dinner trip. Please let me know of anything -- mountains or hills or lookout points, etc.

I'm from Austin, Texas and my girlfriend and I frequented Mount Bonnell, so I'm trying to find a similar place in the Charlotte area.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Just to clarify, we don't really enjoy hiking -- Mount Bonnell in Austin only had about 90 steps to the top! So something that is easily accessible by car would be great.

Last edited by jdb9383; 06-16-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 AM

43,978 posts, read 53,863,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb9383 View Post
Can anybody recommend a good place to watch a sunset in the Charlotte area? I'm looking for a mountain where we could have a picnic dinner. I'm thinking it should be under 90 miles from uptown Charlotte, so that it can just be a dinner trip. Please let me know of anything -- mountains or hills or lookout points, etc.

I'm from Austin, Texas and my girlfriend and I frequented Mount Bonnell, so I'm trying to find a similar place in the Charlotte area.

Thanks for your help!
90 minutes from Charlotte will be tough. Crowders Mt and Kings Mt are the closest to Charlotte - though they are really just big hills in my opinion. But to get where you could even see the sunset you'd have to hike to the top of them carrying your whole picnic and then start down right away to be off the trail before darkness. So, right here in Charlotte I would recommend you take your picnic to McDowell Park on Lake Wylie. There are picnic tables right at the waters edge facing west so you do get a nice sunset over the water

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM

640 posts, read 1,409,169 times
It isn't a mountain but one of the best places in Charlotte is the Whitewater Park. Cost ya $5 to park but the sun sets right over the river with a fantastic view from the park.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,187,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb9383 View Post

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Just to clarify, we don't really enjoy hiking -- Mount Bonnell in Austin only had about 90 steps to the top! So something that is easily accessible by car would be great.

Grandfather Mountain. May be 2 hours from Charlotte. Also, Chimney Rock about 90 minutes to two hours away (at most).

Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM

267 posts, read 618,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Grandfather Mountain. May be 2 hours from Charlotte. Also, Chimney Rock about 90 minutes to two hours away (at most).
Seems like a long way to go to watch the sunset. How bout you just go on a parking deck or building near uptown and watch it set over the city haha. Seems easier but not nearly as cool

Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM

77 posts, read 139,154 times
Lake Norman...Ramsey Creek...I-77 @ Exit 28 ( turn left ) not too fancy, but nice. Whitewater ...is the best.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,901,841 times
And now for something completely different, but since Charlotte has no mountains, here is my take (besides Mr Mitchell which is too far)...

Search your personal network and find someone who works in one of the taller buildings down town. From there make contact with a maintenance supervisor of the building and see what it would take to let you guys on the roof for a half hour while you picnic.
More than likely some $ in the right person's hand would allow this to be done.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:46 PM

5,659 posts, read 17,771,101 times
Fifty miles from Charlotte: Morrow Mountain State Park (Elevation 900 feet)

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Morrow Mountain State Park

Old 06-16-2008, 05:56 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,293,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveItCharlotte View Post
Lake Norman...Ramsey Creek...I-77 @ Exit 28 ( turn left ) not too fancy, but nice. Whitewater ...is the best.
x2 for Ramsey Creek:

I got some better sunset photos from there on my other computer, but this one should do for now probably taken around March or April last year based on Gabriel's size and he's standing about 100 feet from where the water line should have been...

Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,293,934 times
Woops, that pick is from Jetton Park, but it's just across the cove from Ramsey Creek (a trained and experienced swimmer could make the swim).

So there you have it, either one for a sunset picnic, but Ramsey Creek may have the better setup with their shelters and picnic tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte