U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 27,752 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am a young single woman in my late 20's looking to relocate Charlotte in either late spring or early summer of 2007. Currently I work in the advertising/marketing industry. Part of the reason I am leaving New York is to get away from the stressful work and living environments and am looking for a total change of pace. I'm considering going into teaching. I've been trying to figure out what steps I need to take, how long it will take to get my licensce......and down the road masters of education programs. Does anyone have any advice on what schools I should check out? How long it will take before I can teach? I've been looking in UNCC but unfortunately they told me it takes a full year to establish NC residency and the out of state tuition is too pricey for me at this point. Also - in terms of neighborhoods - as a young professional do I need to be in the uptown area? What about Elizabeth or Dilworth. I'd love to get a townhouse rather then live in an apt. again. Any advice or recommendations would be wonderful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,110,480 times
Dilworth and Elizabeth can be pricey. If you are still hopefull of attending UNCC I would look into the Huntersville corridor. You can get a decent townhome in a good area in the $130K all day long. Obvioulsy if you want to live downtown you are going to pay for the trend.

Let me know if you need anything else

Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 PM

8 posts, read 31,545 times
My wife and I moved from the Northeast about 3 months ago and have enjoyed our time in Charlotte. Would recommend it to anyone looking for less stress and much much slower pace.
I agree that Dilworth and Elizabeth are pricey for what you are looking for. I would recommend living down south by Union, Matthews and Monroe. I found those areas need teachers and are affordable.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc123 View Post
Hello - I am a young single woman in my late 20's looking to relocate Charlotte in either late spring or early summer of 2007. Currently I work in the advertising/marketing industry. Part of the reason I am leaving New York is to get away from the stressful work and living environments and am looking for a total change of pace. I'm considering going into teaching. I've been trying to figure out what steps I need to take, how long it will take to get my licensce......and down the road masters of education programs. Does anyone have any advice on what schools I should check out? How long it will take before I can teach? I've been looking in UNCC but unfortunately they told me it takes a full year to establish NC residency and the out of state tuition is too pricey for me at this point. Also - in terms of neighborhoods - as a young professional do I need to be in the uptown area? What about Elizabeth or Dilworth. I'd love to get a townhouse rather then live in an apt. again. Any advice or recommendations would be wonderful. Thank you!

Sounds like you need to live and work here for a year to establish residency before ever attending UNCC, so my advice is this: Find a job first, THEN decide where you want to live. In Charlotte it really is best to try to live on or near the side of town you work on. Can you tell us, do you want to rent for that year, and if so spend about how much?

Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 AM

I am definitely looking to rent and have a budget of about a $1000 per month. Everything seems like a bargain after NYC!

As for neighborhoods - my concern is that I do want to be at least relatively close to uptown, as I hear that is where much of the nightlife and restaurant scene for young singles is - but don't want to be right in the center of it. I am definitely looking for a more suburban lifestyle.

As for getting my licensce I am also looking at possibly getting my licensce from a local community college so I don't wait a year to start teaching. From there once residency is established I would go to UNCC for my masters.

Again - any recommendations or advice etc... are much needed and appreciated!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
Default NYC to Charlotte

Hi. I just moved from NYC to Charlotte last month. I like Charlotte a lot. Although, I am still working in NYC a lot as well (I'm in NYC now for a project for the next two months...) I live in the University Area in Charlotte. My sister and I share a 3 BR apartment but it's very nice and yes, very inexpensive compared to New York... On another note, does anyone know how far Raleigh is from Charlotte? I was offered a project there and have no idea if it's feasible to drive there frequently from Charlotte.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,886 times
3 hour drive approx 170 miles

Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Hi. I just moved from NYC to Charlotte last month. I like Charlotte a lot. Although, I am still working in NYC a lot as well (I'm in NYC now for a project for the next two months...) I live in the University Area in Charlotte. My sister and I share a 3 BR apartment but it's very nice and yes, very inexpensive compared to New York... On another note, does anyone know how far Raleigh is from Charlotte? I was offered a project there and have no idea if it's feasible to drive there frequently from Charlotte.

So have you found that the area you live in is conducive to social aspect? I am just confused if I need to be close to uptown for that, or if I can find that in local neighborhoods in the suburbs.

I hardly know anyone in this area. Have you found it easy or difficult to meet people?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:56 AM

549 posts, read 2,187,915 times
hey girl! Congratulations on your new path in your life! I would advise you to get a rental for a while. You will need a car here, no subways here! Rentals in Uptown, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth are not expensive coming from NYC. If you get a roomie its even cheaper. I recomed those palces for you becasue it can ease the transition from coming from a big city to ours. If you go any further I have a feeling you might get bored and the transition might be to drastic going from NYC to the boonies of charlotte. that why Uptown, and the above mentioned neighborhoods are great palces for 20-something single girls. Lots of clubs, little shops, etc. You get the picture! Once you get the feeling for teh city then you can decide if you want to stay in the heart of the city or move out furterh out!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 AM

190 posts, read 614,352 times
I'm originally from Massapequa, Long Island, but when my company relocated to Charlotte, I moved down and lived there for one year. I must say I really liked it. I was all alone, but made great friends, and was treated most graciously. I love the southern hospitality so I've decided to move back this year. I plan on coming back this summer. I think everyone, especially thyoung couples with children, all want to find a little piece of heaven on this earth. We all want to live in peace and be safe. I think, as people coming from the New York area, we have to realize, that we must'nt complain about the traffic, since when we relocate, we will be adding to that traffic. I feel we should not come to North Carolina with a New York attitude. Kindness and friendliness is the key.

I myself am feeling the stress of living on Long Island. I want to slow down. Life is too short. I want to appreciate what North Carolina has to offer me as a woman who loves life and loves people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or