Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It has been 20 years since I had an active broker's license, so I hope other realtors will weigh in here . . .but unless you are represented by an agency that is a member of the MLS, I don't think there is any way to just pay to get your house listed on the MLS. At least, sure wasn't possible when I was a broker.

If you are not satisfied w/ your realtor's performance, your contract may have a void clause, but I would not precipitously fire my realtor until 1. I had a very candid conversation w/ him/her and 2. I considered what other agent w/in the agency may better represent my concerns. The listing contract you signed may not be so easy to vacate/cancel.

If you are considering a FSBO, I would strongly advise you reconsider it. You need the most exposure possible, and you need someone to negotiate well in this market. You also need someone to best protect your interests - including setting up appointments.

Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote . . .
Yes, nowadays you can just pay three hundred and some dollars and get your property listed on the MLS through either a broker or a "Help U Sell" type of agency.

The buyer would have to present pre-authorization from a bank and I could always run it by my banker.

It's a little bit more difficult, but it might take the extra % to bring in more realtors and compete with the new construction incentives.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:41 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
FSBO are one of the toughest to work. Normally when this happens the buyers agent works both ends of the deal to make sure no-one is breaking the law. It can become frustrating for all parties real easily.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Selling your home is a project. It should be approached w/ a strategy. If you have an innovative realtor "partnering" w/ you on this project, you should have received good advice. However, this market has caught realtors by surprise in many cases. Traditional methods of selling a home may not work to your advantage, as a seller, right now.

First of all, let someone else take a look at your home and assess it. No, we are not talking about doing a comp on your property. We are talking about design, landscaping, use of space and color. Consider having your home staged by a professional. If you are competing w/ like properties in the same neighborhood (or even w/in the same MLS area) you need to set your home apart. The first way to do that is by managing your interior and exterior in such a way as to set your home apart from the pack.

Thirdly, make sure the pictures of your home on the website truly represent your home. ,,,,,,,,,,,
Have your realtor provide a full color, professionally designed flyer on your house, or pay to have a graphic artist design one. ..........
GReat advice. My realtor suggested bringing in a fend shui expert. I don't necessarily believe in the whole concept, energy etc., but my daughter is a believer and used feng shui concepts in decorating her house and it is just elegant! She sure didn't learn that from me LOL.

So the feng shui lady made some changes in furnitur arrangement to 3 rooms, made the living room MUCH better in furniture arrangement, and convinced me to remove about 1/2 of my books. I had already removed all personal photos but she said book shelves should be "open" so people could imagine their books and collectibles sitting there. So half my books (a LOT of books) are going to storage. I think she is well worth her fee.

My realtor aslo sent over a great photograper - the pics make my house look great and someone did a great job on the flyer. Makes ME want to buy the house!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-17-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Yes, nowadays you can just pay three hundred and some dollars and get your property listed on the MLS through either a broker or a "Help U Sell" type of agency.

The buyer would have to present pre-authorization from a bank and I could always run it by my banker.

It's a little bit more difficult, but it might take the extra % to bring in more realtors and compete with the new construction incentives.

What do you think?
Yes, I knew you could go thru/ an agency such as "Help U Sell," but that is an agency, LOL, and I thought you meant YOU were gonna list the house yourself on the MLS, LOL. So it does appear I misunderstood you.

I would not do it. I have sold one of my homes as a FSBO and even w/ my background in real estate and marketing, it was a PITA.

What is your end goal? You want to lower your price, but are concerned b/c of commission costs? You are not saving that much at 5% payout to selling agent . . .

Tell me why you are not satisfied w/ your realtor, or what the end goal is so I will understand why you are considering handling things this way.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 AM

I don't see much of that if the home is less than 5 years old. Usually, things get sticky when there are lots of repairs to negotiate.

In a FSBO in NC, do people retain separate lawyers?

Do you think the higher % will get the property sold faster?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Hangups can be silly things other than repairs..... I would recommend you getting a lawyer to protect your interests otherwise the buyer picks the lawyer.

When I am showing houses I do not look at bonuses or % of the commission until the lawyer sends over there sheet asking for the info. I give the bonuses to my clients anyways and if the house is not what my client is looking for then I could care less if they were offering 10% I'm not going to waste my time or my clients to look at the property when there are others we can go to that will suit my clients needs....

Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, I knew you could go thru/ an agency such as "Help U Sell," but that is an agency, LOL, and I thought you meant YOU were gonna list the house yourself on the MLS, LOL. So it does appear I misunderstood you.

I would not do it. I have sold one of my homes as a FSBO and even w/ my background in real estate and marketing, it was a PITA.

What is your end goal? You want to lower your price, but are concerned b/c of commission costs? You are not saving that much at 5% payout to selling agent . . .

Tell me why you are not satisfied w/ your realtor, or what the end goal is so I will understand why you are considering handling things this way.
Well, I had priced my house $10k lower than anyone else in the neighborhood and reduced it another $10k after just a few weeks. It's not even getting showings.

It's in a bad location. 3 days after we bought the house, the neighboring high school paved a driveway next door. Turns out that the seller's agent knew about it but didn't disclose because they said "We felt that it wasn't a material fact." Well, we've tried to find lawyers to help us and no one returned our calls and the one who finally did, held our retainer for 6 months until the statute of limitations ran out and did nothing.

We've had it listed before unsuccessfully (in a good market). So, now it's even tougher. I'm trying to get it sold without going broke.

I also think that the current way realtors get feedback is rediculous. It's all electronic. I think my realtor should be calling and speaking to the agent that showed the house. It shouldn't be a 3 multiple choice sheet with a comments section at the bottom.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Hangups can be silly things other than repairs..... I would recommend you getting a lawyer to protect your interests otherwise the buyer picks the lawyer.

When I am showing houses I do not look at bonuses or % of the commission until the lawyer sends over there sheet asking for the info. I give the bonuses to my clients anyways and if the house is not what my client is looking for then I could care less if they were offering 10% I'm not going to waste my time or my clients to look at the property when there are others we can go to that will suit my clients needs....
I appreciate the feedback and your loyalty to your clients. Unfortunately, not all realtors are honest (or else I wouldn't be living here).

Don't you see the extra % or bonus on the MLS sheet?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Its there. I just do not say OK lets go look at this one as they are offering 4% and offering $1000 in bonuses. If the shoe does not fit it simply does not fit. Sorry My clients are more important to me than my pocket book. Yes I do this for a living but if you start chasing the $ it will only get further out of reach.

If your house fits the criteria I'll show it if you only offering 2% it never crosses my mind until we are under contract and the lawyers need the info for the HUD-1

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Its there. I just do not say OK lets go look at this one as they are offering 4% and offering $1000 in bonuses. If the shoe does not fit it simply does not fit. Sorry My clients are more important to me than my pocket book. Yes I do this for a living but if you start chasing the $ it will only get further out of reach.

If your house fits the criteria I'll show it if you only offering 2% it never crosses my mind until we are under contract and the lawyers need the info for the HUD-1
I understand what you are saying about yourself, but I believe you are among the few.

A friend of mine listed a house for 5% a couple of years ago and she had realtors calling her yelling, cursing, screaming... and had a registered complaint against her for not listing it at 6%. She had just moved down from Maryland and that's what the % was up there, so she followed suit.

This friend of mine is just like you in that she didn't care what the commission was; she was just interested in helping her clients. The house didn't show, it didn't sell and she had to pay a $100 fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte