U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

3,193 posts, read 5,953,616 times

Advertisements

I thought this might be an interesting topic of discussion. What other NC metropolitan area(s) did you live in before coming to Charlotte? How do you think they compare? Which do you prefer now that you're here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,248,376 times
DH and I lived in Raleigh from March 2007-October 2007. We had moved there for him to take a new job. Unfortunately, that job did not pan out, so we ended up moving again, this time to Charlotte.

Because he is working steadily again, my vote goes to Charlotte. ( ) As a larger metro area, Charlotte seems to offer more for us than Raleigh in terms of employment and recreation opportunities.

Raleigh may be great for many families, but it just wasn't the right fit for us.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,552,328 times
I have lived in quite a few big cities. In order of most recent first,
1 baltimore
2 washington, dc
3 philadelphia
4 NYC
5 Toronto (love it)
6 Pittsburgh
7 Los Angeles
8 London
9 South Bend, Ind (LOL I threw that one in there, not exactly a cosmopolitan one!)

I have been in CLT since Nov 07 and I can honestly say that this is the BEST place I have ever lived (well, US CITY that is, Toronto is fantastic too) Great people, great weather, good roads, lots of activities, handy location to mountains and sea, fun restaurants, great markets..all in all,Charlotte area is a fine place to live.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM

44,764 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have lived in quite a few big cities. In order of most recent first,
1 baltimore
2 washington, dc
3 philadelphia
4 NYC
5 Toronto (love it)
6 Pittsburgh
7 Los Angeles
8 London
9 South Bend, Ind (LOL I threw that one in there, not exactly a cosmopolitan one!)

I have been in CLT since Nov 07 and I can honestly say that this is the BEST place I have ever lived (well, US CITY that is, Toronto is fantastic too) Great people, great weather, good roads, lots of activities, handy location to mountains and sea, fun restaurants, great markets..all in all,Charlotte area is a fine place to live.

Wow! What a great post! Glad you are enjoying Charlotte so much

Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 15,497 times
Before moving to CLT in September 2007 I've lived in order of most recent:

1 Miami
2 Madrid, Spain
3 San Francisco
4 New Orleans

Now that I have a family with small children, I can honestly say that CLT is the best place to live at this stage of my life. I absolutely loved being single in Miami (South Beach...) and going to high school/college in San Francisco but I am very glad to be living in Charlotte now. I guess everybody has to settle down eventuallly !

Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

2,481 posts, read 5,988,284 times
I think the OP was looking for folks that lived in just NC metro areas prior to moving to Charlotte?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,658,848 times
Piedmont Triad - Loved It
Raleigh -------- Didn't like it...not for me...to small and slow!

Love CHARLOTTE!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-17-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,320,456 times
1. Charlotte

Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM

56 posts, read 141,907 times
In my opinion, Charlotte and Raleigh are very different. I had the opportunity to live in both cities for business purposes. Overall, I like Charlotte much better.

About the only positive things I can say about Raleigh is that I've read that the area is ranked as #1 in education according to the Places Rated Almanac. Raleigh is also very scenic and easy on the eyes. Lots of rolling hills, lush and green trees and manicured landscaping in the medians. Raleigh looks like a classy city to me. It is obvious that Raleigh cares about it's appearance because all of the roads are newly paved and the shopping centers are tucked away behind large trees. Raleigh is also more compact that Charlotte and not as spread out.
But While living in Raleigh, I immediately noticed that I wasn't in a typical Southern city and was surrounded by many intellects who have extensive educations and very high paying jobs. They were seemingly more articulate than Charlotteans but most of the them were from parts of the Northeast and graduates of Ivy League schools. And if I may say this, I thought the people in Raleigh were much stuffier than Charlotteans. I hardly ever met an Ivy league graduate while living in Charlotte; most of the people I met in Charlotte were actually from NC and had moved to Charlotte for their careers.
Raleigh didn't seem to still have it's natives around and the ones who are from there come from OLD money and don't associate with you unless you live "inside the beltline" and come from a long line of success. There was always the whole "new money vs. old money" topic going and there was definitely a line drawn between the older well established neighborhoods and the newer ones in North Raleigh. It was rare that I didn't meet a snob in Raleigh. When I went out for socializing in Raleigh, I was often approached by people whose first sentence was, "So, what do you do?" It was obvious that they were sizing me up according to my job status which I thought was shallow. IT was all about money for them, it seemed.

If I had to compare the two overall, Charlotte beats Raleigh hands down. More restaurants, shopping and music events... for me , that was a real plus. I also like Charlotteans much more because they are WAY laid back compared to the residents of Raleigh. I came to conclusion that Raleigh was like a mini Manhattan while Charlotte was the perfect Southern city.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 24,441 times
1. L.A.
2. New Orleans
3. D.C.

Now Charlotte. We just moved from D.C. in Novemeber. I love Charlotte, but i am at a different stage in my life now. I just got married and we wanted to have a larger more comfortable home and just wanted to slow it down a bit. Had I moved here for college or in my 20s my answer may have been different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte