Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 17,990 times

Advertisements

I am Puerto Rican from Florida. There are most def not as many PRs here as in Florida and NY, but they are here. Check out some of the latin clubs if you are into the nightlife. Also, there is the Latin American Coalition and the International House that can give you more contacts that you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM

10 posts, read 23,158 times
I suspect what she meant is that she misses aspects of her culture, food, sounds of the music, language, other things that you cannot explain, you just miss it. I think all cultures have that and it is important to keep and embrace while also embracing others cultures and learning from them. There is good and bad in all cultures. Arroz con Gandules!! And I'm not even P.R.

We need to laugh sometimes.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM

571 posts, read 715,103 times
Hmm, my brother lives on the north side of Charlotte with his Peruvian wife, whose Peruvian sister lives in Gastonia. I went to UNCC in the '80s, and one of my best friends there was Puerto Rican. He still lives in Charlotte. One of my professors at UNCC was also Puerto Rican. My best friend was Egyptian, and his family is in Charlotte. I had a friend from Uruguay, whose relatives live in Charlotte. I had a roommate from Lebanon. I worked beside a guy from Cambodia. I had close friends in Charlotte who were from all around the globe: Asia, Africa, Middle East, Europe, South America, Canada. I haven't lived in Charlotte since 1988, and knew these people back then. With the city doubling in size since those days, I can only imagine that it would be even more diverse now.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I've been to Puerto Rico for vacation. What aspect of Puerto Rican culture do you miss? I was very surprised with what I saw in PR: it's basically an island ghetto with a "culture" to match. I was surprised at the "natives" lack of respect for themselves and others. The resorts are nice. The walled communities for the rich are nice. That's about it.

As I was driving around PR, I saw a WalMart parking lot with a Guard Tower and an armed guard for crime control. Nice!

My wife is Puerto Rican, and I am Italian. We travel to Puerto Rico once a year, and I have to say that Puerto Ricans are one of the most vibrant and passionate people I have encountered in my extensive travels and can see why Puerto Ricans miss that "Culture". Yes there is crime, but mostly connected to the drug trade, and with such a high population density (438/km² 21st in the world; 2nd in U.S. 1,115/sq mi) how could you not expect crime. I have never felt unsafe in Puerto Rico and outside San Juan it is much less congested and very beautiful. I am not even Puerto Rican and have come to love the passion for their food, traditions, and music. I have to say that I always miss the food (especially the mallorcas from Pepin, and the Pork from Juniors at the mercado in Rio Piedras). I have learned to cook up some mean Puerto Rican foods. Just made Mofongo de Pana tonight. Was thinking of starting a business selling pasteles, everyone keeps asking me to make them. Whenever I do I end up eating them all though.

Last edited by dave7024175; 08-16-2008 at 09:08 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,197 times
I moved here from PUERTO RICO (Patilllas, south)- almost three years ago! And it is very-extremly different down here, (the culture, i guess). In Puerto Rico you have the beach 24-7, the best parties ever, great puerto rican food (which i still haven't found a puertorican restaurant here), there's so many beautiful sites to see, and you can travel the whole island in a day. Then you have the little islands you can travel to, the surfing, and beach activties, great drinks, people are more friendly over there. But, to Charlotte's defense, us puertoricans are taught to hug and kiss (cheeks) no matter if you just met the person. When I first got here, I had no clue, that people dont kiss cheeks down here, it took some time getting use to, but I'm good now! And why am I not in PR? Well, the only reason is money. oh and i know someone who makes great pasteles, incase any boricuas are interested.

Last edited by v.boricua; 10-08-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 116,546 times
Default In harrisburg

OK - so I am not Puerto Rican but my husband is! I cook all his favorites and am so upset I can't find a good restaurant to go out to...I will say since we moved here 2 yrs. ago - I have noticed a bigger selection of Hispanic foods at our local grocery stores - I had to go to Compare for a while just to get some of our favorites...I have also noticed that there is a lot of Puerto Ricans in our area - Harrisburg...Just yesterday I was in the Bloom parking lot and there was a car next to me with a PR flag and one backing up behind me...
I can only imagine the restaurants are sure to come - let's face it - with this economy - no one is doing much of anything...
I do think Charlotte has come a long way though - and is very diverse...
BUT it is most definitely not what I am used to from growing up in Tampa, FL where everyone in almost every store speaks Spanish and English and there is a restaurant that serves Arroz Amarillo on every corner!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,017 times
I understand the original posts intentions in asking this question and making a correlation to culture. While Charlotte has culture it doesn't have a lot of Puertio Ricans, Dominicans, etc.. - and hence that element of diversity in it's cultural mix of NASCAR, banking, etc...

That said, I LOVE ME SOME PR AND DOMINICAN women!!!!! I spent time in PR this summer and yes the infastrcuture, housing, etc.. is pretty bad. But the people ARE THE BEST!!!!

WHERE ARE THE LATIN CLUBS???

Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM

22 posts, read 82,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7024175 View Post
My wife is Puerto Rican, and I am Italian. We travel to Puerto Rico once a year, and I have to say that Puerto Ricans are one of the most vibrant and passionate people I have encountered in my extensive travels and can see why Puerto Ricans miss that "Culture". Yes there is crime, but mostly connected to the drug trade, and with such a high population density (438/km² 21st in the world; 2nd in U.S. 1,115/sq mi) how could you not expect crime. I have never felt unsafe in Puerto Rico and outside San Juan it is much less congested and very beautiful. I am not even Puerto Rican and have come to love the passion for their food, traditions, and music. I have to say that I always miss the food (especially the mallorcas from Pepin, and the Pork from Juniors at the mercado in Rio Piedras). I have learned to cook up some mean Puerto Rican foods. Just made Mofongo de Pana tonight. Was thinking of starting a business selling pasteles, everyone keeps asking me to make them. Whenever I do I end up eating them all though.
Ok So I am PRican too and I must say that I am proud of you Dave. If you know about the Mallorcas from Panaderia Pepin...(yummmm!) you have adopted our culture and especially if you can cook our food.

Hey if you start working on the pasteles business and need a hand--let me know I am in!

Karen

Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I understand the original posts intentions in asking this question and making a correlation to culture. While Charlotte has culture it doesn't have a lot of Puertio Ricans, Dominicans, etc.. - and hence that element of diversity in it's cultural mix of NASCAR, banking, etc...

That said, I LOVE ME SOME PR AND DOMINICAN women!!!!! I spent time in PR this summer and yes the infastrcuture, housing, etc.. is pretty bad. But the people ARE THE BEST!!!!

WHERE ARE THE LATIN CLUBS???
"NASCAR, banking, etc" is not culture. It is industry. Our local culture is mostly Scotch/Irish Protestant, English from Northumberland area, German and descendants from Africa. Therefore, it would be more reasonable when discussing diversity to refer to "culture" and not dominant industries. Referring to locals as a NASCAR culture is like referring to people from Puerto Rico as a sugar cane picking culture. I am not argueing or meaning to start a debate, just pointing out something. Your posting is fine and I also find many Puerto Rican women hot as well, but not quite as hot as northern Italian women.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM

311 posts, read 915,635 times
Some people are down right rude on this forum.. it always has to turn into a debate b/c people miss where they used to live. Very human nature and nothing wrong with that.. just leave the OP alone. Perhaps Charlotte has culture but a DIFFERENT kind than they are used to or are looking for.. don't be so defensive gee whiz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte