U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
 
677 posts, read 2,017,123 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

Grocery Stores is something I know about...

They paid my way through high school and college.

I have worked in the past, about 6 years for Lowes Foods, in every department imaginable.

In the Charlotte market, HT is king, no doubt, they usually have the nicest stores. Generally they are slightly more expensive than Lowes.

If you are a coupon shopper, I'd stick with Lowes on their double coupon weekends. I haven't seen the HT do double coupons in a while.

While I was at UNCC I had a HT, Lowes, and Bloom all nearby. Usually i'd go to HT or Bloom depending on what I needed and what was on sale.

Its hard to pick a favorite due to the fact that I'm a bargin hunter and will go where my dollar is worth more. If I had to pick, I would go with Lowes for their fresh meats and seafood. HT and Lowes for the produce. Bloom for beer sales . Everything else is a toss up based on price.

Also, Sams gets an honorable mention because on Sundays I can have a free lunch on those samples :-D



Ways to save on groceries:

Stick to a list
Don't shop while hungry
Stock up on BOGO items, even if you don't need them. That's 1/2 off. Just don't let the product expire or go bad.
Get frozen veggies instead of fresh
Clip coupons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
One of my criteria when deciding where to live was grocery shopping nearby. I have a HT, FL, Fresh Market and Sam's all w/in 2.5 miles of my house. (Have a Bi-Lo, too, but just never have shopped there).

Shop at HT weekly, stop by FL when running errands to Lowes (weekly or more) and get only specialty items at Fresh Market, as needed and infrequently. Stop by Sam's at least once a month. I have specific items I get at Sam's (such as coffee and eggs). I buy "specials" at the grocery stores and keep a stocked pantry. This cuts down on costs, b/c I don't buy things unless they are on sale (well, rarely).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,681,312 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Grocery Stores is something I know about...

They paid my way through high school and college.

I have worked in the past, about 6 years for Lowes Foods, in every department imaginable.

In the Charlotte market, HT is king, no doubt, they usually have the nicest stores. Generally they are slightly more expensive than Lowes.

If you are a coupon shopper, I'd stick with Lowes on their double coupon weekends. I haven't seen the HT do double coupons in a while.

While I was at UNCC I had a HT, Lowes, and Bloom all nearby. Usually i'd go to HT or Bloom depending on what I needed and what was on sale.

Its hard to pick a favorite due to the fact that I'm a bargin hunter and will go where my dollar is worth more. If I had to pick, I would go with Lowes for their fresh meats and seafood. HT and Lowes for the produce. Bloom for beer sales . Everything else is a toss up based on price.

Also, Sams gets an honorable mention because on Sundays I can have a free lunch on those samples :-D



Ways to save on groceries:

Stick to a list
Don't shop while hungry
Stock up on BOGO items, even if you don't need them. That's 1/2 off. Just don't let the product expire or go bad.
Get frozen veggies instead of fresh
Clip coupons.
You probably left out the most important item...

In "most" cases you should "Buy store brand vs. name brand"

the savings are enormous...

Last edited by CouponJack; 06-18-2008 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne - Endhaven Communities
280 posts, read 859,798 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You probably left out the most important item...

In most cases you should "Buy store brand vs. name brand"

the savings are enormous...
This is one reason why I love Aldi - all they sell is their own brands, all the food seems of good quality, and its saving me TONS of money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM
 
677 posts, read 2,017,123 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You probably left out the most important item...

In most cases you should "Buy store brand vs. name brand"

the savings are enormous...
You are correct!

What was I thinking?

Buy Store brands.

For instance... I picked up 20 boxes of HT macaroni and Cheese for an average of $.04 a box a few weeks ago :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,015 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Reputation: 9037
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
This is one reason why I love Aldi - all they sell is their own brands, all the food seems of good quality, and its saving me TONS of money!
Aldi does get some name brands in on special purchases. Also, the Aldi that I go to stocks 2 flavors of Breyers ice cream in with the store brands. They also get name brands from Europe in on the special purchases.

A lot of the items at Trader Joe's mesh well with what Aldi's sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne - Endhaven Communities
280 posts, read 859,798 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A lot of the items at Trader Joe's mesh well with what Aldi's sells.
I have never been to trader joe's, what kinds of things would you recommend purchasing there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,722,506 times
Reputation: 423
Anyone know if Trader Joe's is open in Midtown yet. I live closeby but hardly ever go over that way.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
 
1,350 posts, read 3,312,143 times
Reputation: 418
I just went on Aldi's website. Looks interesting, I will try it out when I move down there. Anything at Aldi's I should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne - Endhaven Communities
280 posts, read 859,798 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I just went on Aldi's website. Looks interesting, I will try it out when I move down there. Anything at Aldi's I should stay away from?
I was intrigued by the Aldi wikipedia article ( Aldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). I think the way they have engineered their stores and processes to save money is very interesting. German engineering at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top