U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,036,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
I think the way they have engineered their stores and processes to save money is very interesting. German engineering at work.
I am drawn to German engineering like a moth to a flame, so I must check Aldi out.
Thx, for the wiki link, interesting (isn't wikipedia great!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,690 times
Quote:
I was intrigued by the Aldi wikipedia article ( Aldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). I think the way they have engineered their stores and processes to save money is very interesting. German engineering at work.
Thanks for the article

Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM

21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Quote:
I have never been to trader joe's, what kinds of things would you recommend purchasing there?
It would depend on your taste. For instace, they have imported cheeses at excellent prices.

Look through their frozen foods. Check the sauces. The sauces appear to be expensive, but they go further than most that you get cheaper at regular stores.

If you aren't close to Trader Joe's, take a cooler or insulated bag w/freezer packs, & pack the stuff when you get to the car & plan the expedition in conjunction with something else so you don't waste gas.

Just wander through & check it out. They also have a person preparing samples in all of their stores. Check the Fearless Flyer on their website to get an idea of what would appeal to you.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I am drawn to German engineering like a moth to a flame, so I must check Aldi out.
Thx, for the wiki link, interesting (isn't wikipedia great!)
I think it's interesting that the Germans were not impressed when WalMart tried to move into the German market.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I just went on Aldi's website. Looks interesting, I will try it out when I move down there. Anything at Aldi's I should stay away from?
Is there an Aldi near you now?

I've never found anything that was bad in Aldi or Trader Joe''s. Now there are still some things that I get at Pathmark. For instance, ketchup has to be Heinz.....

Just pick up 1 or 2 of various items to try them.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Is there an Aldi near you now?

I've never found anything that was bad in Aldi or Trader Joe''s. Now there are still some things that I get at Pathmark. For instance, ketchup has to be Heinz.....

Just pick up 1 or 2 of various items to try them.
There is one in Lincolnton. I won't be down there until next month.
I like the fact that if you do not like something you can exchange it and get your money back. My friend lives in Waxhaw and says she won't go to Aldi's (she is a self proclaimed snob) but loves Trader Joes. I hope we get a Trader Joes in Lincoln County someday(we have one in NJ)

Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
There is one in Lincolnton. I won't be down there until next month.
I like the fact that if you do not like something you can exchange it and get your money back. My friend lives in Waxhaw and says she won't go to Aldi's (she is a self proclaimed snob) but loves Trader Joes. I hope we get a Trader Joes in Lincoln County someday(we have one in NJ)
ssd, I'm currently in Camden County, but plan to move to Kings Mountain or Lincoln County. I hope that Trader Joe's opens a store for the western area, but I'll deal with it.

Tell your friend that Aldi is involved with Trader Joe''s.

I have been in an Adi in Germany. There's a lot of buying power there.

Aldi & Trader Joe's are grocery stores, not supermarkets. You'll still need to go to a supermarket for some stuff. However, if you work them into your grocery shopping, you'll save a ton of money.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 AM

285 posts, read 969,928 times
I went to Aldi's in Matthews but didn't quite like it.

I have to see if there are any others.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM

1,559 posts, read 621,455 times
Lowes Food is great for Boars Head, but there prices are steep for everyday supplies. It is a drive for me to go there,but got to have Boars head, and their butcher dept is good.
Harris Teeter is my choice for bakery, seafood, produce & sometimes butcher, but again dry goods, cleaning, etc...I think they are steep too.
Bi-Lo... because it is close I go here for my everday needs. Their BOGOF is awesome, but I don't buy from their different depts.
Wal-mart...is great for dry goods, health&beauty, but again I have to drive too far.
Food Lion....I will never walk in their doors! Over 10-13yrs ago, they got caught bleaching their chicken & meat that was expired to resell. That is just something I can't get past, and since I have other choices I choose others.
Bloom...a glorified Food Lion..don't see anything about them that so special.
Aldi...fantastic on prices, has mostly non-brand names, I like them, but don't use them much.
Would love to try Traders Joe one day, as well as some of the others, but they are just too far to travel for me.
Hope this helps alittle.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
I went to Aldi's in Matthews but didn't quite like it.

I have to see if there are any others.
What didn't you like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte