U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 PM

285 posts, read 972,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What didn't you like?
It seemed dirty and small. The frozen had ice all over them. Some of the dry goods were stale tasting like the "triscuit" crackers.

But I didn't buy too much because I didn't know what the place was. But after reading here, I will check it out again at another location.

Is it better now perhaps? It has been several months since I went that one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,622,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
It seemed dirty and small. The frozen had ice all over them. Some of the dry goods were stale tasting like the "triscuit" crackers.

But I didn't buy too much because I didn't know what the place was. But after reading here, I will check it out again at another location.

Is it better now perhaps? It has been several months since I went that one time.
I have had the same experience in other locations of Aldi I dont want the food that feeds me and my family coming from a discount chain I rather pay for quality least I know that Harris Teeter has higher standards in their stores . Nice looking stores, quality products I can trust what we dont see like in warehouses or backrooms. I want my food fresh not approaching expiration date.
Look at the location of Aldi stores it speaks for itself.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:

Go back & if it's still like that, go to the website & find out who to report it to. Aldi's policy is that the stores are clean.

I've been in a couple of Aldis in this country & one in Germany. None were dirty, all of the food was good. I can guarantee you that if, when I move, I walk into one that is not as clean as the one I shop in now, I will report it immediately. I will not shop in a dirty store. Aldi pays a higher rate to their employees & the store that I shop in is so clean that you could perform emergency surgery in there. This store is constantly being mopped & scrubbed and the shelves straightened & restocked, all day long. In fact, the store is closed this week for a complete remodel. & there was nothing wrong with it.

The stores are small. It is a grocery store, not a supermarket.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:

Next week, when my Aldi reopens I'll ask the employees there about the situation. They'll tell me. My suspicion is that there's a problem in the region, so I suspect that complaints should be addressed to the main office in Illinois.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM

285 posts, read 972,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Go back & if it's still like that, go to the website & find out who to report it to. Aldi's policy is that the stores are clean.

I've been in a couple of Aldis in this country & one in Germany. None were dirty, all of the food was good. I can guarantee you that if, when I move, I walk into one that is not as clean as the one I shop in now, I will report it immediately. I will not shop in a dirty store. Aldi pays a higher rate to their employees & the store that I shop in is so clean that you could perform emergency surgery in there. This store is constantly being mopped & scrubbed and the shelves straightened & restocked, all day long. In fact, the store is closed this week for a complete remodel. & there was nothing wrong with it.

The stores are small. It is a grocery store, not a supermarket.
The smallness didn't bother me as much as it was dirty and the smallness heightened that.

I thought it was just a company that didn't insist on higher standards. I think I will go back one day when gas prices go down a bit since it isn't close to me and see if there are changes.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 PM

737 posts, read 1,876,390 times
We have an Aldi across the street from HT here in Highland Creek. I went in once to check it out, not knowing anything about its history. It looked to me like a store that took food stamps as its main currency. Most of the mdse seemed to be stacked and case cut like Costco, with signs hanging overhead. Not very appealing to a former grocery Manager. What was most interesting was that when I got to the registers to buy the bread crumbs I went in for, there were no cashiers. I waited for a good 3-4 minutes, before someone finally appeared. She said that she had been in the bathroom! Her hands did look like they had been washed, but no interest from me in going back thanks!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,315,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have had the same experience in other locations of Aldi I dont want the food that feeds me and my family coming from a discount chain I rather pay for quality least I know that Harris Teeter has higher standards in their stores . Nice looking stores, quality products I can trust what we dont see like in warehouses or backrooms. I want my food fresh not approaching expiration date.
Look at the location of Aldi stores it speaks for itself.
Gee, that doesn't sound tooo snobby!!! For your information, there's an Aldi's on Prosperity Church Rd. I know these aren't the million dollar mansions they have in South Park, but they aint mobile homes either!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 PM

280 posts, read 859,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Gee, that doesn't sound tooo snobby!!! For your information, there's an Aldi's on Prosperity Church Rd. I know these aren't the million dollar mansions they have in South Park, but they aint mobile homes either!!!!
Agreed. Also, Aldi has great quality products despite the price. Just because the low prices appeal to people without a lot of money does not mean that it is of low quality.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 PM

737 posts, read 1,876,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
This is the location that I visited...

Old 06-18-2008, 07:03 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,315,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
This is the location that I visited...
Perhaps it's not HT, but as I recall in the article I read in the Observer, Aldi's beat HT on nearly identical items by around $20. Perhaps you can afford to be snobbish, but if the store is reasonably clean, and I get the same merchandise for 50% less, I'll suffer with signs hanging from the ceilings and cut cases like Costco. Perhaps the reason their prices are so much better is that they don't have 25 employees standing around doing nothing. And, God forbid someone have to use the restroom!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte