Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 AM

747 posts, read 2,104,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't mean to offend you but don't you think you could have been just a touch more tactful? I am puzzled by atmosphere & supermarkets in the same sentence, but to each his own.
Tactful? I think I was tactful in my comments since I pointed out that I was not judging the customers use of food stamps by their appearance, just the look of the store. Back home in SoFla, we had Goodwill stores (not sure if they have those here), and walking into Aldi's reminded me of walking into Goodwill. Of course, not everyone walking into Goodwill uses Food stamps either, but I would guess in the location I went to to drop off clothing to donate, that the majority do.
As for Trader Joe's, I agree; interesting foods, just not willing to spend $1 more for a gallon of milk because it is organic. I like pork sausage, dont really care for chicken sausage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 AM

280 posts, read 948,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned Everybody has a different perspective on "the best areas of town". ALDI I love the most as of last week- even if it is in "a bad area of town". LOL. Used to be Bloom only but had to try ALDI after reading Charlotte Observer's article.
What article?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
What article?
Charlotte Observer | 06/14/2008 | Rising costs test grocery loyalties (http://www.charlotte.com/171/story/669102.html - broken link)

As you can clearly see, there's a big difference. I can only speak for myself, but I'd even travel to the unsafe Highland Creek area to shop at Aldis for that kind of savings.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Tactful? I think I was tactful in my comments since I pointed out that I was not judging the customers use of food stamps by their appearance, just the look of the store. Back home in SoFla, we had Goodwill stores (not sure if they have those here), and walking into Aldi's reminded me of walking into Goodwill. Of course, not everyone walking into Goodwill uses Food stamps either, but I would guess in the location I went to to drop off clothing to donate, that the majority do.
Excellent comparison

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-21-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
As for Trader Joe's, I agree; interesting foods, just not willing to spend $1 more for a gallon of milk because it is organic. I like pork sausage, dont really care for chicken sausage.
OK. As I said, my intention was not to offend. We all have different experieces. For instance, when I see atmosphere & supermarket in the same sentence, I think of a local supermarket that tried to do candlelight shopping. People stayed away in droves.

If you have questions on specific products at Trader Joe's feel free to ask. If I haven't tried it, maybe someone else has.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-21-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-22-2008, 12:31 AM

237 posts, read 298,599 times
Quote:
We have an Aldi across the street from HT here in Highland Creek. I went in once to check it out, not knowing anything about its history. It looked to me like a store that took food stamps as its main currency. Most of the mdse seemed to be stacked and case cut like Costco, with signs hanging overhead. Not very appealing to a former grocery Manager. What was most interesting was that when I got to the registers to buy the bread crumbs I went in for, there were no cashiers. I waited for a good 3-4 minutes, before someone finally appeared. She said that she had been in the bathroom! Her hands did look like they had been washed, but no interest from me in going back thanks!

and they probably had rolls of food stamps instead of toilet paper!!! it is awful, i know.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 39,743 times
I do all my grocery and general merchandise shopping at Super Kmart. They are always very clean and well stocked. The lines are never long and you can get a great parking spot. The weekly specials are great but my favorite part would have to be the bakery.

I used to shop Winn-Dixie until they pulled out of the area. Food Lion is also okay but I never found much interest in Harris Teeter.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM

50 posts, read 147,932 times
I go to lowe's for everything. It's a little pricer than others, but I like it better than a bunch of supermarkets in NY.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I have shopped at Harris Teeter for about 42 of my 44 years of marriage. We were in places where there was no Harris Teeter a couple of times. Sometimes I will go into other stores because they are closer, but Harris Teeter is still my favorite. They are just so friendly that I relax and make better selections. We do some bulk shopping at Sam's, but it is certainly not my favorite store. The one at Matthews has the most awful arrangement for the entrance. It was raining once and we tried to come in the exit side which was closer to our car and they made us go around to the other door in the rain. I should have stopped going there that day. Just stupid rules and no flexibility.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Lowe's Food is my main grocery store. Not only do they have better prices, I am accumulating S&H Greenpoints!

I go to Home Economist for my cat food and they have an excellent by the pound cereal selection.

I go to HT when I am lazy because it is closer than Lowes. I also go there for Redbox.

I won't go to Bloom anymore, I had bad experiences with the one in the University area. There were two kids (one worked there) throwing out the N word in their conversation and talking about how they got shot at the night before. Also, a lady got kidnapped from the parking lot.

Won't go to Compare or Waynes based on their health code violations.

Finally, Food Lion near my house stinks (bad odor and selection) but I do go there to get Coke when I get my dinner from China Express because it is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte