Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I am all about convenience. I can walk to either Harris Teeter or Reids Fine Foods. Most Aldi's are in not in the best area's of town...I said most.

The Harris Teeter Uptown is always spotless clean and well stocked...and so is Reid's Fine Food (very nice store for a small store).
And, by what criteria are you basing these "not best areas of town"? Is it based on the value of the homes? The income of the residents? What's the basis? And, exactly how does that have an impact on the cleanliness and friendliness of the store?

The point of my post is that it is unfair, irresponsible, and misleading to make sweeping generalizations with no evidence to support the claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
he basing it on where most of these locations are it not a generalization if it is our opinion that most of locations are type of locations we do not feel are in best sections of town that we would shop at night ALDI USA=

In our experience we have had not so good experiences with the cleaniness . Yes that can vary from store to store but product freshness comes from same warehouse where we have experience the quality not so great so as a store in this region it doesnt hold par as a company as a whole who I can trust to do my shopping at.

I have never had a bad experience with Harris Teeter they have the staff to assist you. When you run a quality staff and have a well equipped staff that is friendly it a sign that the managment of the store and company care alot more for their customers especially since it involves food this experience can be had most of the Harris Teeters even though the one on Central Ave is a little iffy.
Expired or spoiled food that can easily kill someone if not handled properly. Before it is misread I am by no means saying that any store is bad just the things I look in developing confidence that I will have a pleasant shopping experience and ingest the food that I buy.
I rather pay 10 cent extra here and there if the quality, wide selection, and excellent staff can be trusted to happen on every visit

Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 PM

49 posts, read 179,433 times
Moderator cut: orphaned Everybody has a different perspective on "the best areas of town". ALDI I love the most as of last week- even if it is in "a bad area of town". LOL. Used to be Bloom only but had to try ALDI after reading Charlotte Observer's article.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-20-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: posts you are referring to has been removed

Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I am all about convenience. I can walk to either Harris Teeter or Reids Fine Foods. Most Aldi's are in not in the best area's of town...I said most.

The Harris Teeter Uptown is always spotless clean and well stocked...and so is Reid's Fine Food (very nice store for a small store).
Thanks for the explanation.

Here, Aldis are in nice neighborhoods. A different box store chain is in less desireable neighborhoods in some places, but nice neighborhoods in other parts of the area. For that reason I never thought to paint a whole chain or the people who shop in them with one brush, because of a few store locations.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-20-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks for the explantion.

Here, Aldis are in nice neighborhoods. A different box store chain is in less desireable neighborhoods in some places, but nice neighborhoods in other parts of the area. For that reason I never thought to paint a whole chain or the people who shop in them with one brush, because of a few store locations.
And the congregation said AAAAAAAMEN!!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,123 times
I just got back from a first visit to Trader Joes on Mallard Creek Church. What a fun shopping environment! My Daughter spent the entire time trying to find the hiding duck to win a prize (she eventually found it hiding on the chips endcap. Picked up a few oddities, but we are not into Organics so we would not ever do our weekly shopping there.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I just got back from a first visit to Trader Joes on Mallard Creek Church. What a fun shopping environment! My Daughter spent the entire time trying to find the hiding duck to win a prize (she eventually found it hiding on the chips endcap. Picked up a few oddities, but we are not into Organics so we would not ever do our weekly shopping there.
Did you feel safe going there? I mean, there's an Aldis right down the street, and we all know what sort of neighborhoods they put those in!!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Did you feel safe going there? I mean, there's an Aldis right down the street, and we all know what sort of neighborhoods they put those in!!
Joes is in a much better area of town...but all kidding aside, I was the one that said that the impression I got when I walked into Aldi's was that it was mostly for Food stamp users. Not that I saw many people shopping and judged their appearance; just the atmosphere I felt in the Store. It was a very quick visit, and I only purchased some bread crumbs. To me, I will spend more for "atmosphere". I pinch pennies when possible, but I need to feel a comfort level at a store that I am buying food for my family at. I did not feel that at BiLo or Aldi's.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Joes is in a much better area of town...but all kidding aside, I was the one that said that the impression I got when I walked into Aldi's was that it was mostly for Food stamp users. Not that I saw many people shopping and judged their appearance; just the atmosphere I felt in the Store. It was a very quick visit, and I only purchased some bread crumbs. To me, I will spend more for "atmosphere". I pinch pennies when possible, but I need to feel a comfort level at a store that I am buying food for my family at. I did not feel that at BiLo or Aldi's.
I don't mean to offend you but don't you think you could have been just a touch more tactful? I am puzzled by atmosphere & supermarkets in the same sentence, but to each his own.

I love Trader Joe's. Organics are prominent in the stores, but the price is good. It's not like they're bad for you. I've talked to a lot of people who like it because they can afford more organic things for their kids by going to Trader Joe's. Again, to each his own.

It's a place to go for a variety of items, but you cannot do all of your shopping there.

Their lavender scented laundry detergent is great. They have some really good frozen food. There is only one thing that I did not care for after shopping at Trader Joe's for years. There was nothing wrong with it, just not something that I cared for.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,947 times
My favorite is Reid's, mainly for the banana pudding.

While I do quite a bit of shopping at Wal-Mart for the pricing, I prefer to pay a little more for the atmosphere -- yes, atmosphere -- of Harris Teeter. It's just a more pleasant shopping experience, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte