U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Reputation: 39870

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I've been in the position where I've lost everything. Patches that my grandfather passed down from WWII, thousands of dollars worth of antique newspapers (worth far more to me), not to mention all of my clothes, jewelry, DVDs, etc. I guess I just don't place much value on the physical aspect anymore. I don't see what's so offensive about the idea that maybe material things aren't that important, and that the police force has better things to take care of. Spend some time on the outskirts of New Orleans and you'll see what I mean. If I offended anyone by that position, I apologize. I'm not trying to demean anyone's hardship caused by break-ins. All I'm saying, is count your blessings. It's my opinion, yours may differ.
You say you've "been in the position where you lost everything" which I take to mean to fire, flood, etc...and I am sorry for that loss. However, losing everything to a predator is worse in my opinion. Someone who physically forces their way into the sanctuary of your home and TAKES things from you violates you, robs you of your peace of mind, your sense of security, your ability to get a good night sleep for a long time afterwards - it is not just about "stuff". It is part of the police departments job to protect us from these kinds of creeps - PROTECTING AND SERVING - that's what they sign on for.

I am confused about your reference to the outskirts of New Orleans?? I guess you are saying there are plenty of people in this world who don't have a lot to lose? Sure, that's true. Look at India or any other 3rd world nation. But that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't possess valuables in other parts of the world - one has nothing to do with the other - unless you are into the redistribution of the wealth philosophy?

Not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't understand your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
 
1,116 posts, read 2,611,729 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Have you ever considered many people, myself included, buy used items that are expensive new but don't have the funds now to buy them. So we search yard sales, craigslist, auctions so forth to find these expensive items cheaper just to have them ripped off by someone who takes the easy way out. Of course I could go out and do the same but lots of us have morals and work for our own stuff, not scare the daylights out of community and steal. Just because items look nice does not mean the owner is "loaded" just means they like new items with a budget in mind. Sorry for venting but by that comment and the fact that these thieves keep stealing from cars in our neighborhood going on 3 weeks now, I am just a little P***ED off.
I understand that because I do the same thing. But what is going to come of it? You can't recover anything unless it has a serial number or you can identify files (if a computer or the like). Seems like the time spent solving individual crimes would be better spent toward preventative measures, that the community needs to implement. And if you get something cheap, insure it for replacement cost, you get the payout for what you paid plus some.

Yes, you're pissed off, but what are you personally going to do about it? Has anyone written a letter to the city, urging more funding to police? Anyone petitioned the HOA to use dues to hire security for their condo complex? Anyone petitioned to make their neighborhood gated? Start a neighborhood watch? Report suspicious activity every single time you see it?

If it's so important to you to protect your things, YOU have to take the steps to do it. Kudos to those who do it, but more people are just as content to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
523 posts, read 2,613,777 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I understand that because I do the same thing. But what is going to come of it? You can't recover anything unless it has a serial number or you can identify files (if a computer or the like).
.
Just a side note--I had serial numbers for several of my items that were stolen and that made no difference. They are gone forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Just a side note--I had serial numbers for several of my items that were stolen and that made no difference. They are gone forever.
Yeah, unless LE gets the stolen items, and you can prove your serial numbers, it doesn't mean a thing. People who buy stolen goods are not going to try to register them so . . . how would anyone ever match up those items as being the vicitm's?

Same for inscribing your info on your electronics. Unless LE gets the items, it won't make a bit of difference. My parents were robbed and they had all the serial numbers written down, inscriptions of their Driver's Lic. #'s on the items, etc. etc and they never got a thing back. For them, it was pretty much a tragedy b/c insurance can't begin to replace items that were a big investment (like an electrolux vac) but now are 20 years old. Their stuff was in excellent condition but you aren't going to get but pennies on the dollar for it - so forget insurance really making a difference. And some things, like my great great g/daddy's shot gun - well - that is gone and who knows where it is now? Same for gggrandma's wooden butter churn, quilts, etc. Those types of things - there is no $$ that can replace them. Probably sold it all at a flea market somewhere (this was b/f Ebay).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: charlotte, nc
14 posts, read 39,369 times
Reputation: 11
what are the laws in nc about shooting a home intruder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Texas
111 posts, read 251,518 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
My house was broken into today while I was at work. They kicked in the front door in broad daylight. My neighbors were home, there were about 20 construction workers outside a few houses down. No one saw anything. They took my purse with a bunch of my debit/credit cards and charged all of them. They took two flat screens, my camera, laptop, and roomie's camera. I'm so upset. The cop is sitting outside now and I'm waiting for the crime scene investigator. The only reason I can type right now us because I have an iPhone which I had with me.
Question-- if my computer is password protected--can they get iinto my files? Ugh, this sucks!
Yes! I had my computer taken from work with password protection.....they apparently cleared the drive with some kind of device then just rebooted the system. Cops found it later at a pawn shop. Cripes! sorry about that. You need a big dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelboy View Post
what are the laws in nc about shooting a home intruder?
Unless you fear for your life, don't do it. You will be charged. If you shoot someone and no weapon can be found on his/her person (gun, knife) then you will really be in a world of trouble.

However, if you do shoot b/c you felt your life was in danger, then that is the best defense here in NC and perhaps the DA will be lenient, especially if the thug was a career criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Living near our Nation's Capitol since 2010
2,177 posts, read 2,918,762 times
Reputation: 5851
What an absolutely dreadful situation, I am so sorry to hear about it. The sense of violation must be overwhelming.

Maybe I am getting old and set in my ways, but I fantasize about these thugs getting caught and punished SO severely that they never see the light of day again.

I worry that with this horrible economy, this is going to start to happen more often. I hate it. I agree with earlier poster...people NEED to bond together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top