U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM

330 posts, read 931,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Just to add, check around at the pawn shops to alert them if your stuff comes in to be pawned. I know this doesn't help know but the police one time recommended that we engrave our valuables with our drivers license id number.

I hope things turn around quickly. Did you have insurance?
I learned recently that there is a new-ish law in NC that states that pawn shops have to register everything they take in with the state, and get valid ID from the people trading stuff in to them. As a result, most of the stolen stuff is no longer going to pawn shops and "fencing" is back in practice.

So chances are the stuff is not going to be in a pawn shop but in somebody's garage or trunk.

As for the private files on the OP's computer, the crooks themselves may not be trying to access them, but there is a very good chance that the computer will be sold to someone who will. I sincerely hope that there wasn't a lot of personal info stored on the computer.

I am very, very sorry to hear that this happened to you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM

255 posts, read 571,696 times
I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't beleive they break in when there is so much going on a few houses away.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:10 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,557,678 times
I am so sorry...I'm very concerned over your laptop. I hope there is nothing in there that will compromise you and your identity in any way. Please update us on any progress regarding recovery.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 PM

812 posts, read 2,100,241 times
That is just terrible. I do have a theory that anything someone steals is cursed. Nothing good comes of stolen money or goods. Not that anyone cursed them but it's just bad karma to steal!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Question-- if my computer is password protected--can they get iinto my files? Ugh, this sucks!
Sadly yes. Software is readily available for download that will hack windows passwords with ease.

Even without this software, the disk drive could be removed and put in an enclosure and accessed without the need for any passwords.

The only way data on a disk could be considered secure is if the entire drive was encrypted, and that is still rare, though business are beginning to implement such security.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM

523 posts, read 2,606,011 times
Thanks for all of the support. I live in the "safe", new part of South End so this was definitely odd. I was at work today and had two voice mails on my phone. Fraud departments from both of my banks had left messages. My debit cards had been used. I don't even carry my debit cards so that was odd. I decided to call my credit card company to check and my main credit card hadn't been charged so I asked them to check my other account. There was a fraudulent charge. All three of those cards were at home so that was very odd. I came home and faced what I had feared. I have a security system but it wasnt on. I have two male roommates and there is almost always someone here. My one roommate who is normally home during the day is out of town. I think these guys had been scoping the place out. I think I even met them a week or so ago. I came home one day to find a car in my driveway with a guy in the car and another at my door. I asked if the needed help and the guy said he was looking for the model home (behind my house). I thought it was odd that they would be at my house and the guy looked really shady (poorly dressed from the hood type look). I thought to myself that he couldn't
possibly afford these places.i think I must have walked in on them right before they were going to break in. Urgh. CSI got fingerprints from the house and there should be surveillance footage from the gas stations they used my card at so hopefully they'll be caught.

My laptop was new so I didn't have too much stuff on it. I don't believe that
there was financial info or anything useful to anyone other than me on there. There were some pictures that I would rather not have shared with strangers, though...especially not menwho know where I live.

Ok, typing long emails on my iPhone takes forever. So I'll try to write more from work tomorrow. I'm going to attempt to stop thinking about this and go to sleep now.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 PM

165 posts, read 372,463 times
Though it may make you all feel better to call the thieves filth and SOBs and such, that doesn't minimize the issue. She was robbed. Neighbors were home. Construction workers down the street. Doesn't anybody care enough to HEAR a door being kicked in and call the cops? Is everybody so deeply into the "I don't want to get involved" mode that they let this happen? Don't people know who belongs in a neighborhood and who doesn't? Are there not police down there? All I have heard about since I started asking about safety is the tough new police chief, the increased patrols.... and this happens in the middle of the day?

Ohio seems better every day, with every one of these posts I read about the jungle that Charlotte suddenly sounds like. Between the apartment rating web sites, people posting about not living east, or west, or west of, or east of..... Sure stuff happens here, but at least here I know the streets. Here I KNOW that if someone knocks I need to answer with my gun in my hand....

Oh well, moving was a long shot anyway.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 PM

523 posts, read 2,606,011 times
ugh. I can't sleep. I was trying to remember what was in the wallet they stole and realized that there was another debit card in there. The bank is closed so I can't get a hold if the fraud dept. I wrote a desperate email to the new sales group just tobhave something in writing reporting the problem. The card was used twice already and there is a ton of money in this account. What's making me mad is that apparently you don't need your pin number to use debit cards!! I don't use them as a rule--don't like the one swipe access to all funds. That's why all of these cards were at home where they're supposed to be safer than carrying them around. Now I don't know if I'll be able to sleep. All my other cards were cancelled but this one has access to the most funds by far. Ugh, I can't believe I didn't think about this one earlier. Its probably because I've only used it once since ive had it. I really hope they get the surveillance videos from all the gas stations they went to.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
ugh. I can't sleep. I was trying to remember what was in the wallet they stole and realized that there was another debit card in there. The bank is closed so I can't get a hold if the fraud dept. I wrote a desperate email to the new sales group just tobhave something in writing reporting the problem. The card was used twice already and there is a ton of money in this account. What's making me mad is that apparently you don't need your pin number to use debit cards!! I don't use them as a rule--don't like the one swipe access to all funds. That's why all of these cards were at home where they're supposed to be safer than carrying them around. Now I don't know if I'll be able to sleep. All my other cards were cancelled but this one has access to the most funds by far. Ugh, I can't believe I didn't think about this one earlier. Its probably because I've only used it once since ive had it. I really hope they get the surveillance videos from all the gas stations they went to.

I had a feeling you wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight - I'm sorry

I'm glad you do have a couple of roommates though and that you aren't alone. This is just a crappy thing to have happen and I would love to see the little bast*ards whipped in public.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 AM

187 posts, read 597,970 times
that sucks, i'm sorry this happened to you.

They can get to your files if they know what their doing but seeing as their robbing people, they are probably not computer smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or