U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM

347 posts, read 1,005,299 times

Advertisements

Anu2, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish you the very best as you try to overcome all this.

Most of what I have to suggest has already been stated by someone else, so i won't repeat. Our neighbor was robbed- in broad daylight- this was 2-1/2 yrs ago... no one saw anything. But they did find most of his stuff- it was done by an ex-girlfriend, from long ago, who I guess bore a grudge for some reason, and got her boyfriend to rob his place! And he never suspected as much. I think the cops just found the thief on their own! My point is- I don't know your case, but if you think it could be someone from the past, you may want to mention it to the cops.

I hope you get your stuff back... Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM

693 posts, read 1,957,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwells View Post
hello. my name is jessica. I got an alarm system through ADT Security services. the company they contracted to do my install was Protect Your Home and they did a Wonderful job! I only pay 34.99 a month and can rest easy knowing that i am safe when I am home and my house and other things are safe when I am not home. If you are interested in a system but want some more information please email me. jessica_wells1987@yahoo.com. best wishes to you and sorry this happened to you.
Mods -- there seems to be something awfully "spammy" about this thread since it was suddenly revived after months of being dormant.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Mods -- there seems to be something awfully "spammy" about this thread since it was suddenly revived after months of being dormant.
thanks
it has been edited report post button the right side of a post makes it easier for the mods though.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:58 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,479,307 times
I was talking with a client in the Thermal Rd area this afternoon. He was telling me that a friend of his was robbed in broad daylight after thugs kicked in his door. The neighbors watched the thugs load their vehicle with their neighbor's possessions & never called the police. They called the neighbor instead to tell him that his "friends" had been over moving stuff.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,454,399 times
Someone started to break into our screened porch over the weekend!. Fortunately, They knocked over and shattered a plant which must have scared them away. We've had a few car break ins in the neighborhood the last week as well. The police know about these and have been talking with our Neighborhood watch program. Scary stuff.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 AM

876 posts, read 3,486,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Someone started to break into our screened porch over the weekend!. Fortunately, They knocked over and shattered a plant which must have scared them away. We've had a few car break ins in the neighborhood the last week as well. The police know about these and have been talking with our Neighborhood watch program. Scary stuff.
kids...betcha

Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,454,399 times
Yeah, I really don't think they were going to break in the house. I think they were hoping for a tv or an Ipod player. They have been hitting up the cars for laptops, cell phones, gps etc... The cops said we would be surprised what people leave in their cars and in plain site. We have furniture and flowers on the porch and that's about it. I was thinking about mounting a tv out there, but I guess that won't happen now.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,610,545 times
I know that everyone is outraged at crime. I know that it shouldn't happen, and I know that the police aren't as responsive as they could be. But I say, who cares?

Last week, there was a drug bust two houses away from mine (new tenants, only been there a few weeks). It's a neighborhood with stupid kids that break in and steal things every once in a while, but it's a place where a lot of young kids still play outside, where people raise families. The police planned and safely executed the bust, had the full SWAT team, and were able to apprehend six gang members with a history of armed robbery and murder, and get at least half a dozen buyers on the way to the house. Dozens of guns were confiscated. The neighborhood has quieted down significantly since then, and the police still make routine stops.

I understand you're frustrated. But all you lost was stuff. Did you really need those flat screen TVs? Is the fraud really going to hurt you in the long run? (I'd like to know about long term damage, seeing as that happened a while ago) Also, unless you recorded your serial numbers or marked your things, they can't be returned to you. If recovered, the burden of proof lies on you to prove ownership.

My advice: get renter's insurance (Nationwide was amazing when my basement flooded), and realize that stuff is replaceable. The cops need to be spending more time on violent crime, not people who stock their home with nice stuff and wonder why they got "cased." In an ideal world, everyone would be respectful of personal property. But we live in Charlotte, where violent crime and gang activity is a lot more pressing than the results of a bad economy. If you focus more on the source (youth being influenced by gangs, upper class housing a stone's throw from the projects, and an overworked, overtaxed police force ) then things will get better from that. You can't treat the symptoms without fighting the disease.

I just know that personally, given all circumstances, I'd prefer my safety be secured, rather than my things. If we actually funded and trained the police properly, maybe we could have both.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,895,508 times
FYI-Channel 6 news is going to put something on their 11pm newscast on Thursday night about a device that thieves can't kick in your front door. Set your Dvr's and check it out. Every little bit helps.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM

630 posts, read 1,677,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
FYI-Channel 6 news is going to put something on their 11pm newscast on Thursday night about a device that thieves can't kick in your front door. Set your Dvr's and check it out. Every little bit helps.
It's probably the Strikemaster II.
The problem is most builders and people (I know my builder did) use small screws and crappy hardware around the deadbolt. So when someone kicks in the door, the doorframe breaks.

To strengthen it, use a bigger stronger metal piece around the deadbolt opening and use big strong screws to actually attach it to the house framing, not just the door framing.

If you're handy you can make your own for fairly cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or