Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM

523 posts, read 2,896,408 times

Advertisements

My house was broken into today while I was at work. They kicked in the front door in broad daylight. My neighbors were home, there were about 20 construction workers outside a few houses down. No one saw anything. They took my purse with a bunch of my debit/credit cards and charged all of them. They took two flat screens, my camera, laptop, and roomie's camera. I'm so upset. The cop is sitting outside now and I'm waiting for the crime scene investigator. The only reason I can type right now us because I have an iPhone which I had with me.
Question-- if my computer is password protected--can they get iinto my files? Ugh, this sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 PM

810 posts, read 2,282,362 times
from the wife,
I feel so sorry for you. Where do you live? Which county, development?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,763,131 times
I am soooooo sorry this happend. I hope they catch those SOB's.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,260,097 times
HORRIBLE!
Our prayers are with you and your family.

Not that it really matters, but if you were at work, why were your purse and credit cards at home? The stuff they took is just 'junk' and ultimately replaceable, but changing your credit cards, and license is the frustrating part.

Did you have a security system?
If so were they just in and out in a few minutes?
Did they cut any lines to the house to defeat the system?

The crook(s) that took your laptop could not defeat even the simplest password protection unless they are techies, probably not.
They simply want to sell it for quick money for whatever their vice is, so I would not stress that too much.

Bless the iPhone, at least that is not stolen!

I know this might be a bit much, but a few years ago we bought a used safe that is extremely heavy.
This is where our cameras, video cameras, guns, and laptops live when we are not home.
TVs they can have if they get past security and everything else.

Let's just hope the new Police Chief has a plan to deal with all this human filth running around - I'm sick of it and ready to reduce their numbers if they come a calling at night.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
My house was broken into today while I was at work. They kicked in the front door in broad daylight. My neighbors were home, there were about 20 construction workers outside a few houses down. No one saw anything. They took my purse with a bunch of my debit/credit cards and charged all of them. They took two flat screens, my camera, laptop, and roomie's camera. I'm so upset. The cop is sitting outside now and I'm waiting for the crime scene investigator. The only reason I can type right now us because I have an iPhone which I had with me.
Question-- if my computer is password protected--can they get iinto my files? Ugh, this sucks!
I HATE this happened to you!! Can you tell us your general location so other people who might live in the area will be aware?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,309 times
I would call your credit reporting agencies and report this theft.

It sounds like you already called the credit card/banks as you posted the thieves used your cards. But let the police know about the fact the cards were used already so they can contact the places they were used at and obtain the surveillance videos. Do this pronto as most places only keep a few days on record. The banks/credit card companies can tell you the time it was charged and the stores then can go to the video logs date stamps.

Good luck and very sorry this happend!

Last edited by newcharlottan; 06-17-2008 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,958,458 times
Wow!!! I'm sorry that happened to you. We were robbed while sleeping and though it is a royal pain to deal with replacing things and getting new identity cards and such, I thank God every day that they didn't hurt us or steal my children. You will get through this, but it sucks. I'm sorry.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM

755 posts, read 2,482,341 times
I'm so sorry!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM

928 posts, read 3,838,207 times
Sorry to hear about this. Just to add, check around at the pawn shops to alert them if your stuff comes in to be pawned. I know this doesn't help know but the police one time recommended that we engrave our valuables with our drivers license id number.

I hope things turn around quickly. Did you have insurance?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
OH NO. This is outrageous. I am soooo sorry. All these people around and no one saw a thing. How the heck did they manage to get all that stuff out and no one noticed? That is what always blows me away - people not noticing. I guess it happened so fast.

Do let us know what the police say (if anything). That was a good suggestion about checking at pawn shops. Is there anything identifiable that would stand out if they tried to sell any of your items on Ebay???

Please know we are all thinking about you and hoping you will recover your items - and that the police will find the scum of the earth that did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte