Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 PM

672 posts, read 1,826,408 times

Advertisements

Should it go to help Charlotte fight crime or elsewhere??

Community group angry over crime dollars 3:25 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-061708-krg-money.10076bd1.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM

330 posts, read 1,033,773 times
One of the few legitimate purposes of government is to protect our lives, liberty and property. It is inexcusable that money that was earmarked for crime prevention is going to be used for the pet causes of politicians in Charlotte.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
One of the few legitimate purposes of government is to protect our lives, liberty and property. It is inexcusable that money that was earmarked for crime prevention is going to be used for the pet causes of politicians in Charlotte.
I agree. I think we need all the funding for crime prevention that we can get, so using a lot of that money for other things just does not sit right with me...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,874,301 times
If the money has to be spent, I'd rather have the gov't leaders publicly defend how they spend the money versus a bunch of residents wanting to spend it 'willy-nilly' just to say they spent it fighting crime. You have to have a plan first and then fund that plan. Besides, there's probably a whole other group of residents pushing for funds for Public TV, CPCC, etc.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Should it go to help Charlotte fight crime or elsewhere??

Community group angry over crime dollars 3:25 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-061708-krg-money.10076bd1.html - broken link)
nkjaws - While watching WBTV tonight and hearing about the budget which increased funding to fight crime, I did a few calculations. I checked the size of the police departments of Charlotte, Richmond and New York City and divided those numbers into the populations of those cities repectively to come up with how many citizens per cop (That includes civilian police dept personnel)

Charlotte: 309 citizens per cop
Richmond: 227 citizens per cop
New York City: 220 citizens per cop

I guess Rodney Monroe is going to have to do more with less or Charlotte has to go on a hiring binge in the near future (yeah - right!) Don't hold your breath!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
nkjaws - While watching WBTV tonight and hearing about the budget which increased funding to fight crime, I did a few calculations. I checked the size of the police departments of Charlotte, Richmond and New York City and divided those numbers into the populations of those cities repectively to come up with how many citizens per cop (That includes civilian police dept personnel)

Charlotte: 309 citizens per cop
Richmond: 227 citizens per cop
New York City: 220 citizens per cop

I guess Rodney Monroe is going to have to do more with less or Charlotte has to go on a hiring binge in the near future (yeah - right!) Don't hold your breath!
Thanks for those calculations. I read an article related to that some time ago averaging roughly 2 police officers per thousand people here in Charlotte. I think Monroe will have his work cut out for him but one positive note is that he really did devise a plan to lower crime in Richmond so time will tell I suppose I often wonder why only uptown has the strong police presence while in the burbs (where a lot of the crime takes place,) we are left waiting up to an hour at times for an officer to respond. I think we need to atleast double the current amount of officers, more 911 operators and awareness.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,283,477 times
Quote:
One of the few legitimate purposes of government is to protect our lives, liberty and property.
Spoken like Jefferson!
That is all the government I care for, the remainder is but levels of pork.

Last edited by mullman; 06-18-2008 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,532,034 times
Doesn't do any good to fight crime if there are no jails to house the criminals....so so many are released back on the street and many are repeat offenders. We need more jails!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,283,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Doesn't do any good to fight crime if there are no jails to house the criminals....so so many are released back on the street and many are repeat offenders. We need more jails!
Or finally decide it is NOT 'cruel and unusual punishment' to pack them in the current spaces like sardines versus giving them 8x8x10 (example) feet each.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,532,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Or finally decide it is NOT 'cruel and unusual punishment' to pack them in the current spaces like sardines versus giving them 8x8x10 (example) feet each.
Agree!

It is suppose to be jail...not private cells and a work out room and TV...like a hotel.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-18-2008 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte