Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 31,460 times

Advertisements

We moved to the area recently. We have never had a home security system, but now we feel we need one.
Who is the best company for this?

Also, what is the typical cost for equipment, installation, monitoring, etc?

What features should we get - motion sensors, door and window sensors?

Thanks,

N.O. guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Hey,

I hate to be "That Guy" but you should really search the forum before posting because there are several good topics on this already. If I remember correctly, CPI Security got the best feedback and that is why I chose them for our new home as well.

Installation is basically free, we added two glass break sensors for and extra $300. Monitoring is about the same with all companies. I think ours is $36 per month which includes the two-way speaker in our house so we can talk to a person directly if there is a problem.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
+1 on CPI.
I use them at my business and home and have been thrilled with all aspects.
CPI built a large new monitoring center visible from I-485 near the Tryon exit, so they are committed to the area.

We did go with the cellular backup since some perps were cutting phone lines before breaking in.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
We've had good luck with ADT.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1 on CPI.
I use them at my business and home and have been thrilled with all aspects.
CPI built a large new monitoring center visible from I-485 near the Tryon exit, so they are committed to the area.

We did go with the cellular backup since some perps were cutting phone lines before breaking in.
I also agree that CPI is the best in this area. They are very quick to come through the 2way speaker, quick to dispatch, and have excellent customer service, We had ADT they were really slow on all the above mentioned aspects.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
We have ADT, and have been happy. I believe they're all essentially the same. We too went with the cellular backup- I think it's a great addition.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
CPI. They have been nothing but amazing and it is the only one with a local monitoring station. The others have monitoring in Fla and Texas. I am on my 6th year with them and they have never let me down. They actually call to remind me to test my system if I forget. I like that.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM

248 posts, read 747,388 times
Someone came by and offered me a GE system with Platinum Protection - free equipment as a promotion and cellular backup, etc.

Anyone know anything about them? Never heard of them, but they have an attractive package. 60 month commit.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,654 times
Question Know anything about Protection One vs CPI Security Systems?

I'm considering a security system and have been evalutating Protection One (which offers up to a $1,000 reimbursement on your homeowners insurance if something is stolen or a fire occurs) vs CPI which everyone seems to rave about on the forum. However, Protection One does not have a 2-way system (intercom voice connection)...only the 1-way (phone call to you) system. Prices are pretty comparable for the 1-way system. Does anyone have any feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte