Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

19 posts, read 83,633 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas in or around Charlotte that would allow above ground pools. It doesn't have to be a new area. We are looking to move and have an above ground pool and would love to continue to use it. It would be hard to not have a pool in our yard and can not afford to put in an in ground pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM

280 posts, read 948,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreynolds View Post
It would be hard to not have a pool in our yard and can not afford to put in an in ground pool.
It's hard to not have a pool in the yard? I must be leading a pretty hard life lol

Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,817 times
They aren't very popular here and it's hard as almost all HOA's don't allow them.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM

116 posts, read 333,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
They aren't very popular here and it's hard as almost all HOA's don't allow them.
and considered trashy or 'redneck'..............(flame suit on)

Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
Quote:
Are there any areas in or around Charlotte that would allow above ground pools. It doesn't have to be a new area. We are looking to move and have an above ground pool and would love to continue to use it. It would be hard to not have a pool in our yard and can not afford to put in an in ground pool.

If you move into a neighborhood that does not have an HOA or move to a house even that is not in the neighborhood you should be fine.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
You have to look carefully to find a subdivision with an HOA that will allow above-ground pools. It was a consideration in my house search. I purposely avoided communities with pools and clubhouses simply because I'm not into "sharing". I like the idea of having pool that I can use anytime I want, that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I'll be putting one in next summer! Look for subdivisions that have few amenities, they will tend to have less restrictive covenants. You might also want to check out non-HOA houses, that will allow you to have the flexibility to do what you want!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_to_USA View Post
No flame war . . . I know people who have them and they are fully aware that they are considered trashy or "lower class." LOL. Most people who have them are out in the country - and there is nowhere around for the kids to go to a pool . . . they get the above ground pools so their kids will have fun at home. I know two couples who removed them as soon as the kids left home . . . and that was part of the reason they bought them to begin with: low cost fun for their children and friends . . . and easy removal so they could enjoy the back yard themselves once the kids left for school.

My sister put in a pool, waterfall, landscaping and it was close to $50,000 by the time she finished. It is beautiful and they love it! But that is not a decision all of us would make. Not everyone is going to want to spend that kind of money on a pool . . . even if they can afford it.

As for a subdivision in CLT that would allow above ground pools . . . don't know of one. As I said, my friends are in other counties around here . . . out on farmland . . . where no one gives a flit how "upscale or lowscale" their backyard pool might be, LOL!!!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 06-18-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
You have to look carefully to find a subdivision with an HOA that will allow above-ground pools. It was a consideration in my house search. I purposely avoided communities with pools and clubhouses simply because I'm not into "sharing". I like the idea of having pool that I can use anytime I want, that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I'll be putting one in next summer! Look for subdivisions that have few amenities, they will tend to have less restrictive covenants. You might also want to check out non-HOA houses, that will allow you to have the flexibility to do what you want!
Em, let me know when you get the pool in. I have been enjoying my friends' pools - above ground and inground - since my 20s . . . and I have found the water is just the same, Hee Hee Hee.

BigBear and I will be glad to bring the BBQ to throw on the grill.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_to_USA View Post
Gee - I didn't know I had joined the "You might be a redneck if....." class so soon after moving! I'll have to tell all my Jersey relatives in their $700,000 houses that those pools that seem so ubiquitous in a flyover of Northern NJ have "got to go!" LOL

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
We really wanted to get an above ground pool when we moved down to NC. We did not want to commit to the expense and permanency of an inground pool. I don't see us wanting a pool in 10-15 years. But we were unable to find something we liked that allowed above ground pools. We rushed into the purchase of our house so I am sure if we took the time we would have found something that would have worked. We are however allowed to keep our camper on our property as long as it is screened from our neighbors, this is another thing that is hard to find in a neighborhood setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte